Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

Deleted

I’m most annoyed that this bizarre Fortnite thing is going to come up in random threads for the next few years.

Bullshit. It’s a valid opinion. I read more than just Qt3 because I do not want to live in an echo chamber and there are a LOT of people who are specifically citing the success of Fortnite as part of their decision to avoid the Epic store.

Just because Qt3 wants to ignore it and personally attack the person with this opinion does not invalidate it. In fact, I think it lends it more validity because it’s the pus festering beneath this boil for some who have a real problem with clicking a different icon on their desktop with a separate login.

@KevinC You really don’t think this discussion isn’t different if Fortnite is PU:BG for example with the Fortnite level of success?

That’s silly and inane. I’ve never played Fortnite, not interested, and don’t care one way of the other about Epic. They could be rich, they could ge poor, doesn’t matter to me. What matters to me is a game I wanted moving off a feature rich storefront that I like to one with an inferior customer experience.

I don’t know since this isn’t a game thread :)

Okay, but is there anyone here doing that? Because you’re discussing the matter here and you’re framing everyone here that doesn’t like it as a meathead in need of some Dudebro or just a Fortnite hater. Despite enumerating their reasons for not currently liking it.

I don’t. At all. On the Internet at large? Uh, maybe? But here? No!

I enjoy Fortnite. I bought it before there was a BR mode, I’ve played the crap out of it. Go look through the original Fortnite thread. That being said, I dislike a lot about the Epic store and how Epic is going about doing things. And I’ve listed those reasons out multiple times, it’s not anti-Fortnite bias or dudebroism.

I don’t give a shit if its Fortnite, PUG, LOL, WOW, TF2 or whatever game is successful enough to influence the industry.

Its all down to options, support and price.

Exactly, bringing in reasoning from somewhere else and then apparently attributing that argument to people here (since you never mention the discussion elsewhere) is going to lead to misunderstandings. People here are naturally going to assume you are talking about them.

PUBG is a buggy piece of shit, so I would probably be more annoyed if they launched a featureless store that bought exclusives.

Interesting to me - with release in two weeks and all physical copies coming with Epic keys surely this decision happened a while back? Logistics isn’t my area but feels like that’s not a change you make 2 weeks before launch, redoing the boxes and inserts and preparing them for shipment to stores.

My issue isn’t with having two or three or even 80 applications installed on my computer and I’m not talking about a computer limitation, I’m talking about my own inability to keep a mental currency of the storefronts/platforms that I’m buying/using games on. It’s a personal limitation, not a computational one.

I knew it was probably a mistake to give a precise number, but at some point I run out of that capacity to remember or care about platform X (we’ll leave aside why you feel that an application you have to run in order another application shouldn’t be considered a platform or just what makes a platform). Whether it’s three or five or fifty, I’m eventually going to forget about it – just like I did with Origin and GOG. I don’t even remember my login credentials for those, so that alone acts as an immediate barrier to me playing a game on that platform: I’ll need to reset a password/etc, then log in. Or I could play something in a platform that I have running and already open. This isn’t an issue somehow unique to the Epic client.

OMG! This is JUST like the console wars!!! Like, I had to spend all that money on a new console and now I have to… move my mouse… ALL the way over there.

Maybe if people keep idly dropping this inane comment into the thread the real arguments will go away.

So this thread is only for discussion of the groupthink of Qt3. Got it. I’m out then.

Someone post the pic.

Classic Dave Long.

No, that’s not at all what anyone said. But I’m not surprised by this response.

What’s wrong with exclusives as long as they are cheap?
As long as Epic is cheaper than Steam, I am fine with whatever. Steam has had it good for a while, and I am ready for something new that isn’t just a publisher service or sells steam keys.

Steam has exclusive, Origin has exclusives, Gog has exclusives (of sorts), Uplay. Exclusives happen, but games aren’t so inelastic that I can’t find something to meant my needs that I can’t just buy something else.

I think this will be done at publisher level - disable a list of keys on one platform and enable them on another.

In theory, I don’t have a problem with Epic’s store. There is the problem that I already have around 2000 games between Steam and GOG (many through GOG Connect), so I’m basically already invested – I want both Steam and GOG to survive.

However, my main issue is that Epic is going about establishing a new store all wrong. The right way would have been to establish their cross-platform services first (chat, achievements, etc) and then to stress the store. The right way would have been to offer a store where users feel comfortable and get good service; where devs get more attention and a better cut. The wrong way is to grab exclusives by giving them money up front. Nobody likes these strong-arm tactics. Nobody sees how little choice the big publisher-owned stores give us, or what the consoles tend to do, and says, ‘yeah – I want more of that. Let’s add that to the PC space.’ Going around building up negative publicity is the completely wrong way to start a store, and that just shakes my confidence further that these guys know what they’re doing or that they’ll be there after the Fortnite money dries up.

I believe someone up thread argued that it would be better received by gamers if Epic had invested in a bunch of small indie or AA teams just starting their game development then made those finished products Epic exclusives. Instead they have been poaching high profile games that have been using prime advertising real estate space on Steam and Windows/Xbox stores for months or years.

My bad, middle of the night, wrong thread. Sorry.

They could definitely do that - but the insert would still have instructions for activating on Steam, and the box would have a Steam logo and “requires Steam activation” or whatever the wording is on it.

Even with that resolved I’m sure the stores will love dealing with customers who aren’t following the news and expected a Steam key, then want to return an opened box that activates on Epic.