Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

It’s been fascinating following all this. I thought there would be some movement in the storefront space when Amazon moved into it with the Twitch game store, but that died with a whimper.

Honestly, the best response for Valve would be to close the floodgates on the games they distribute. People complained a lot about them being the gatekeepers of pc gaming, so they let everyone distribute on Steam and now that’s a selling point for the competition. They should just murder the indie game scene and go back to a curated experience.

I have suspicions Epic are just gearing up for a subscription service… given the plethora of game stores and failed game stores, I don’t see what the point of creating a new one in 2019 is supposed to be otherwise.

Oh I bough into that whole compete against Steam pitch years ago and wound up with Impulse which was dropped like a bad habit for a few bucks by the original creator and then later by the group that bought it.

DRM free is fine, but it’s not convenient. Steam is proven to be stable and reliable and has been around for some time now. The others have to earn that kind trust but they don’t want to. They want to force it instead.

Thanks for addressing that. I was wondering how you felt about this.

This is good point. I did lose some games I bought on Impulse, Gamestop and Direct2Drive over the years. Steam and GOG are the only ones I have trust in longterm.

Gonna ask also, how long has it been since you last used it? They improved a lot. I posted above link to their support stats page. You can see in realtime how many tickets they have and response times.

If a game is DRM-free on Steam (and there are tons), you can make a backup and have it forever like on GOG. Just copy the install folder. No dev is mandated to use DRM on steam, it is only their choice.

Yes, when you lack argument, resort to insults - that always works!

It seems to work for you.

In what way?

I think we should all play a battle royale game to determine the official QT3 store/launcher of choice.
Maybe a game of Fortnite (via the Epic game store?) :D :D :D

Dude, you are a paper tiger. All bark and insults, nothing of substance.

Oh wow. Now you really hurt me.

Cool cool. Btw my dislike amounts to the level of if I see Sergie at a conference I might say “hey that wasnt cool man” and then we could have a beer as he tells me to lighten up.

Its not like I think he is a life enemy or something :)

I get that. None of this matters. You just want to bluster about.

Well, enjoy your life.

I never got that impression, although you were very negative towards him.

No, I do not want my favourite hobby to become a shitshow where every game is limited to single store and I don’t get to choose.

Same to you.

I think this gets to the core of my dislike for Epic’s strategy - let everyone else do the value adds, then ensure that they aren’t happening on your platform because why would we be dumb enough to offer that? They’re benefiting greatly from Valve’s benevolence (or whatever you’d like to call it, since Valve obviously benefits as well).

Gotta love this. People are now asking for games to come to the Epic store… so they can buy them cheaper given the known lower cut. LMAO!

I am with you there.

Isn’t that the point though? The middle man gets a small cut and the customer gets some of the savings?

You guys know that person is trolling right? They’re asking on the Steam forum if it is going to be another storefront at war with Steam. If they really wanted to know they’d ask Epic, assuming Epic will even respond, or the developer… likewise.

I really don’t care about any of that kerfuffle, as long as it gets me cheaper games and developers get paid to make more games it’s all good.

But devs can already do that by selling on their own platform, which sort of obviates the Epic thing. You have the choice of buying Steam keys directly from the dev, and they’ll get 100% of the money.

Except, steam has limits to how many keys can be sold outside of Steam. I am sure Valve would knows exactly what they are looking when keys are sold directly.

Had bought Hades in December and just got this.

You recently made a purchase from the Epic Games store. In the time since this purchase, we’ve adjusted pricing in your region to be more favorable, and are refunding you the difference.

Well, neat.