Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

I would expect future game kickstarters or fig campaigns would probably not promise steam in the future, but just “digital PC distribution” to be prepare for the Epic Money Minivan to pull up.

Yes and that would be perfectly fine.

I get to complain, I know it isn’t that bad, but I like to complain! Get off my lawn.

This is my problem with this, I kickstarted this with it listing steam. I would not of kickstarted it listing Epic. So to me this was a bait and switch.

I too am cool with that.

People need to earn a living, and as long as it doesn’t mean I have to go out and spend several hundred dollars on a console, I’m fine with it.

My friend is pretty big into Funko Pops and from what I can tell the hate isn’t exclusive to video games.

As I mentioned earlier I get some of the outrage in regards to buying something advertised as being available on steam and then that changing. With that said, I’m not as familiar with fig, but if you are buying into a kickstarter type program then that is part of the risk you take. Heck, that game you bought may never even become an actual game.

Oh yeah, totally, I rarely kickstart anything nowadays, because of how many high profile failures there have been. I am pretty picky about kickstarter. But when they say something on their page, and deliver another that is just lame as heck.

Given all this boatload of money they’re throwing in devs’ direction, wouldn’t it make sense for Epic to just make their store so good that people will want to use it, rather than using anti-competitive practices?

Sure, and that’s why they should (and are) have an offer for refunds. I would totally understand outrage if they didn’t.

Platform exclusives and all the other issues discussed for 1900 posts in this thread. I wasn’t looking for a refund, I was looking for the game on steam the way the kickstart was funded.

It’ll still be on Steam, just not for another year… :P

What’s not clear to me is if they’ll provide Steam keys to backers at that time or not.

The ultimate F U to backers would be, no refunds, you can take the Epic Game Store key now, or wait a year and we will send the Steam key.

The way you make the store so good is by offering things Steam doesn’t. The most valuable thing you can offer is games. They’re doing exactly what they should be doing (if they’re Epic, even if it’s bad for consumers)

Absolutely. People used to bitch about the store exclusive tchotchkes in Bluray/DVD packs. Action figure collector’s gripe about store exclusives too.

You mean does it bother me that Kingdomino with a dice tower was only at Target for a limited time… no. I could still buy the game from 100s if not thousands of other places, buy it used and it’s not taking an open platform, closing it, and trying to pretend like that’s not what they’re doing. Epic wants to pretend like they’re competing on any real level… but hey I heard they added a search almost yesterday, really moving forward there.

I think it will be easy to avoid Kickstarter for awhile until Epic stops bribing that group into betraying their backers.

My criticism of chinese government and its behaviour is now racist apparently. Fuck you too.

Looks like the backer rebellion freaked Snapshot out and they’re giving Steam/GOG keys to backers after a year. So backers will be forced to play on Epic for a year, after which they can switch.

I am sure that will make backers forgive instantly. I am surprised Valve and GOG are even willing to provide those keys though.

Oh my God, that sounds horrible. Forced to play on epic? Could things get any worse?

Truly, we are in the darkest timeline.