EQ2 a few Cs & Qs

So I got the free tiral last night at a friends instance (and gave up a night of WoW too, I might add) and did the newbie thing till level 5 (the cap is 6 for tiral versions).

Comments:
It was a bit confusing, the tutorial started off great and then kind of just stopped. Other impressions of the game make me feel its very unpolished (this is comming from a WoW player, so take it with a grain of salt). For example no ! marks or ? marks for quest people. I had to run around and click on everyone to see if they had a quest. One lady said she wanted collectables, and to be sure to let her know if I had any. I found some shells that clearly sid collectable, but I could not find a way to communicate this with her. I didn’t know if this was a quest or just some idle comment she was making.

The enemy AI seemed wonky. Before I figured out a red outline on the target meter meant ‘hostile’ I found some goblins with this and walked into the middle of them. They didn’t attack. So I proceed to look around thier camp exploring, then 10 seconds later they are all over me.

Swimming was a pain. It seemed if my camera was outside the water, I would swim down (and need breath), and the only way I could stay on the surface was to keep my camera under water. WoW definitly has a better camera system it seems.

Crafting seemed a lot ‘richer’ then in wow, but exteemly complicated. They need a good tutorial on it. I didn’t even know about these events that happen when your crafting and what they meant till I read a web site on crafting.

When I leveled I magically got stuff added to my hot bar like new spells. I do not know if this means I get all my spells the moment I ‘ding’ or if at some point ill have to buy them. If it turns out to be the latter, I could really would have no idea I needed to buy spells unless someone told me.

I had this heroic combo thing appear in my bar. I read the help on it. I could not get it to do anything. No one around could explain it to me.

The animation is very chunky, proabbly because my framerate was proabbly low (i have a very good system). I guess I need to crank all the options down a lot.

There was this glowing trail thing that somtimes appeared. It was very inconsistant. Sometimes when I needed to talk to an npc it would appear and lead me to him. Sometimes not. When I died, it would ‘kind of’ lead me to my body although it frequently dissapred into the ground, and led me into a wall with no way to get past. Nice idea, but needs some work.

No radar?! I guess you need to visually see the herbs/minerals in the map. Lets hope people are not color blind and can pick stuff out easily. I know wow has this problem sometimes (stealth herbs) but at least on your radar you have a big yellow dot that says an herb is right infront of you even if it is hard to see.

Questions:

I am confused about crafting. What is the differance between an artisan class type or a mage class type? Can a mage become an alchemist or is this for artisans only? If they both can, whats the point of being an artisan? If they both can’t then what do ‘adventure’ class character do with trade skills?

How do heroic combos work? I read the help, but I never got these icons in the lower right conrer to appear saying what I needed to do. Can they be done solo or does it require a group? I used my speical start heroic combo spell on a bunch of mobs and nothing ever happened.

I have seen several spell lists for conjurors, necros, etc… are all those the only spells in the game for each class? For example, in EQ a magician could summon armor, food, etc… I see nothing like that listed in conjuror spells. Does that mean mage/conjuror can no longer do this or perhaps they are not part of the ‘free’ spells you get when you level?

What are these adventure packs mentioned on the EQ2 web site? If I decide to buy EQ2 and want the expansion, do I also need to buy EQ2 and the expansion seperatly or are they combined?

In some forums posts I sawthing like ‘Aprintece II’ for this or that. What does this mean? Nothing in the tutorial explained anything like that. Are all archtypes the same? IE: A Wizard is a Wizard, there are no specific wizard builds.

How is world travel done? If a friend is in freeport, and I am in queynos, how quickly can we get together to adventure?

Personally I found the tutorial in EQ2 to be 100x (orders of magnitude) better then WoWs but let me try to answer your questions as best i can.

The crafting classes are completely sepearate from the adventuring classess which can both be mixed and matched to your pleasure whether it’s a mage who makes armor or a scouting scholar. Also the pace at which you level your crafting is also completely independant to your adventure class. You can be a lvl 50 crafter and be only a level 10 adventurer or vice versa.

How do heroic combos work? I read the help, but I never got these icons in the lower right conrer to appear saying what I needed to do. Can they be done solo or does it require a group? I used my speical start heroic combo spell on a bunch of mobs and nothing ever happened.

Heroic combos can be done solo but they get more powerful the more people involved. They are started by casting the trigger spell (depends on which class you are) and then it involves casting the right spell when directed. Each spell/ability that you have belongs to a certain group represented by an icon that you can see in your ability’s description. The easy way to do it is after starting your trigger spell look at your hotbar to see which spell is blinking. Cast that one and continue till the chain is complete.

I have seen several spell lists for conjurors, necros, etc… are all those the only spells in the game for each class? For example, in EQ a magician could summon armor, food, etc… I see nothing like that listed in conjuror spells. Does that mean mage/conjuror can no longer do this or perhaps they are not part of the ‘free’ spells you get when you level?

Dunno if you know this but you start out by picking one of the four base classes (warror, mage, scout, priest) then later on pick a subclass, then a subclass of that. The spells/abilities you get can belong to either your specific subclass or it’s parent (or grandparent). I think that priests summon food and water (could be wrong)… from what little I know of summoners/conjurers/necros they summon creatures to help fight in battle.

What are these adventure packs mentioned on the EQ2 web site? If I decide to buy EQ2 and want the expansion, do I also need to buy EQ2 and the expansion seperatly or are they combined?

The expansion and adventure packs are sold seperately and they can all be bought online. The expansion pack can also be bought in stores but you need to have the original (EQ2) game.

In some forums posts I sawthing like ‘Aprintece II’ for this or that. What does this mean? Nothing in the tutorial explained anything like that. Are all archtypes the same? IE: A Wizard is a Wizard, there are no specific wizard builds.

When you increase in level you automatically gain the spells/abilities for that level. However the spells you get are at their lowest ‘form’: Apprentice I. You can visit a trainer for your class and purchase a higher level of that spell/ability Apprentice II. You can upgrade the spell/ability further by either off a drop or it can be crafted (or bought from a PC)

How is world travel done? If a friend is in freeport, and I am in queynos, how quickly can we get together to adventure?

Well you can buy boat travels to help you get close to your destination (instant zone) but I think you may have to trek a little to get from Quenos to Freeport. I’d say it would take less then 10 mins if you’re high enough level (no agro mobs) and took a boat to the Enchanted Lands. (Quenos -> EL -> NekForest -> Commonlands -> Freeport) Most likely though you’ll be meeting somewhere in the middle. I wouldn’t advise trying to play with opposing factons so early. (not convenient).

Never experienced this myself. I suspect it could be a combination of graphics and network lag. There is an excellent guide to tweaking for best performance on the official forums.

A Wizard is a Wizard, there are no specific wizard builds.

Every few levels you get to make decisions about some stats and effects. What you choose here will affect the type of build.

You should really start in the same city if you want to play together. There is a betrayal quest which starts around level 17 and allows you to switch cities.

About the quest NPCs, they usually say something when you walk by them if they have an appropriate quest. That’s a heck of a lot cooler than a “?” over the head.

Examine the collectable items you have and you’ll be given the option of putting them into any collection that they fit in (there’s a tab in the quest journal for this). When you’ve completed an entire collection go to the collector and hand it in for xp, cash and items.

When I leveled I magically got stuff added to my hot bar like new spells. I do not know if this means I get all my spells the moment I ‘ding’ or if at some point ill have to buy them. If it turns out to be the latter, I could really would have no idea I needed to buy spells unless someone told me.

Well, the Apprentice 1 version of say “Magic Missile” isn’t going to do nearly as much damage as a raid dropped Master 1 version of the spell. Everyone tries to get at least Adept 1 copies (fairly common drops) of everything they get as soon as possible.

No radar?! I guess you need to visually see the herbs/minerals in the map. Lets hope people are not color blind and can pick stuff out easily. I know wow has this problem sometimes (stealth herbs) but at least on your radar you have a big yellow dot that says an herb is right infront of you even if it is hard to see.

All of the harvestable items stand out pretty well and you can Tab through them if you can’t spot them yourself.

Well, there are no magicians to begin with and only priests can summon (crappy) food, conjuror’s are primarily a pet class. Every class gets maybe half a dozen “flavor” spells that you have to buy (like familiars for wizards and undead forms for necromancers), but none of them have any affect on the gameplay. Everything else you get the Apprentice I version for free.

About the “Apprentice II” thing:

Spells and abilities come in different quality levels. “Apprentice I” is the lowest level, and what you typically get when you acquire a new spell or ability after levelling. You don’t have to buy it, but if you want to get the most out of it, you’ll want to obtain an upgrade for it somehow.

The hierarchy goes:

Apprentice I…IV, Adept I…III, Master I…II (is there higher?)

Apprentice II upgrades can be bought from NPC vendors. App IIIs can be crafted; App IVs are the pristine result. Adept I upgrades usually drop from mobs; Adept III upgrades can be crafted (but require rare components. Do Adept IIs even exist? I’ve never seen one.)

Master level upgrades are rare drops, and in the new combat system, certain Master II level upgrades become available as free training options every 10 levels (if memory serves.)

Note that even with high quality upgrades, some of your spells or abilities will become obsolete eventually. Fortunately, the combat upgrade has made it much easier to tell when an old ability should be replaced with a newer one in the same line, since an ability no longer scales in power as you grow in level.

Well how about the differance between artisans and adventurer classes?

I am not sure what to play now. I really loved magicans from EQ, but they were more then a pet class. They had all sorts of cool items they could summon. In EQ2 that seems to be gone now or is it hidden in another class?

Is there any class that can shapeshift for combat (and other things) like the druid in WoW?

Do wizards have travel powers like in EQ?

Do all the classes feel differant, ie: a conjeror definitly plays differant then a necro? A Warden is a lot differant then a fury?

The difference between Artisan and Adventure classes isn’t the huge deal you think it is. Really, it’s separate levels and xp pools. Here’s an example:

I level up to level 20 as Paladin (adventure class). I then decide to give crafting a try and get to level 5 as an artisan. You aren’t choosing one over the other; it’s possible to max out your level in both.

In terms of shapeshifing, I think the Druid class can do that.

EQ2 + expansion is available in Europe only - the full game is included with the expansion,
and you can use the key to either activate just the expansion or a new account with a free
month AND the expansion. This is also cheaper than the full game in the box right next to it :)

Mages get three choices at level 9 - you want to pick summoner to get an earth pet.
With upgraded (Adept1+) pet spell, this is very close to the basic feel of the EQ1 mage.
If you’re in Freeport, you can only become a necromancer at level 20, while Qeynos has
the conjurer, which is what replaces the classic mage now. You get low-HP firepets at
level 20. Group-only pet, that. The tellurian recruit will stay with you for a few more levels :)

Is there any class that can shapeshift for combat (and other things) like the druid in WoW?

Druids have two subclasses that can (fury being the Freeport choice).

Do wizards have travel powers like in EQ?

Nope. The spires broke 500 years ago, and teleportation has been pretty short range ever
since. Rangers get evac, and that’s all I know of, apart from the hourly gate spell everyone
gets.

Do all the classes feel differant, ie: a conjeror definitly plays differant then a necro? A Warden is a lot differant then a fury?

Fury is of the “hug a tree or die” variant of druids, and pretty offensive. They get lots
of buffs, too. More aggressive than the warden’s defensive powers, healprocs
and such.[1]

A necromancer relies on damage-over-time magic, a lifetap and a tankish tough pet,
or a lifetapping weakling mage. Conjurers get more rain spells like the old mages,
direct damage spells and such. They’ll fell sufficiently different. Necros eventually get
life-to-power constant effects like before. Conjurers have snaring ice nukes, plus a few
DoTs.

I haven’t tried illusionists/coercers, but coercers seem to be the petmasters now.
Wizards and warlocks seem pretty similar from what I’ve seen, and the damage type
seems to be the main difference. Wizard = fire & ice, warlock = poison & pestilence.

The difference between paladin and shadowknight is pretty big. They both start out as
fighters, then crusaders till 20, and their powers vary wildly. Shadowknights get powers
to tap life from all attackers (constant shield), and paladins get some major selfheals and
some groupheals. They both have great aggro-control spells, but shadowknights are
definitely more offensive about it.

Rangers are still master archers, and the combat upgrade almost doubled the bow damage,
according to the experienced players :)

Scout classes subdivide into many different classes, and the predator class is where both
assassins and rangers hail from. Predators get access to poisons, so rangers also get
those. Assassins are up close and personal, while rangers fire off 2-3 arrows at a time,
Legolas style.

Where the classes don’t seem significantly different, damage types separate them.
And of course any race can be good at any class, if you’re willing to betray your city
where that is necessary…I have a troll working on becoming a ranger.

Getting to your friends:
Yep, definitely pick the same starting city. It’ll be 20 levels until you can even think
about going elsewhere, but then the Thundering Steppes is an excellent neutral place
to meet. The ticket is 60 silver, which can be tricky at that level. Once you survive the
trip to Splitpaw, there’s loot to be earned, though. You can make a profit sometimes.

SOE have also watched the economy (yep, it wasn’t just words) and increased money
lott (or added, where there wasn’t any). Nice to find spiders with lots of undigested coin
in their bellies :)

[1]EVERY class gets something of group-benfit. EVERYONE is useful in EQ2.

I thought a druid from Qeynos could also opt to be a fury at 20?

Yea, from the offical guide, Furies could be trained in both. It wouldn’t make sense from the lore for them to be evil only since druids are neutral.

As for cojurors, are the pet types used for differant situations? IE: The fire pet might be good in a group becuase of high damage output, but can’t tank. The water pet might be a geat tank with medium damage, etc…

One thing I had wanted in EQ was for the necromancer to have differant pets for differant situations like the mage pets were.

As far as server population there seems to be either all low pop ones and one high pop one. Which is better for a group of friends to start on?

What tradeskills are the most profitable? And from what I would guess about reading the documentation, at level 20 ill need to pick just one such as alchemy or a jewler, right? Or can I do two or three types of tradeskill things past then? Also it seems tradeskils are a very slow proccess. If I wnated to make like 10 potions, id need to go through the componet creation 10 times, then the potion creation 10 times, each of which takes quite a while. Or can I just make 10 of X in one shot? I am not sure about this because I tried to make some clorophly extract and somehow I got 3 of them. I also had no idea what it was used for. The recipie book has like 5 copies of every potion in it. Its all very confusing.

Yes, my wife is a Qeynos Fury.

I’d like to jump in with a question of my own if I may…

What if your upgraded to Master II skill becomes obsolete? Did you just gimp yourself by selecting said skill for Master II? Especially when you’re level 10 and get an upgrade to Master II, won’t most of the skills you have then become obsolete?

Yes. Upgrade your skills wisely. Keep an eye on your next spells/abilities and time the upgrades to use them as soon as you can before another skill makes the old one obsolete.

Druids can shapechange. I see Mystics in Bearform from time to time but I don’t know if they get any benefits.

Druids are considered a neutral class (like Bards, Wizards, etc) so both Adventurer class options are available to the Freeport and Qeynos factions. Fury = offense and Warden = defense. Pre Combat Revamp I was under the impression that Wardens didn’t die unless they really really wanted to die, but they killed things really really slowly to balance it out. I haven’t had enough time to test it out post Revamp.

Conjurors seem pretty nice in EQ2. I’ve been in groups that used their pets as the puller and MT.

As for Scouts, I’d like to speak up on behalf of the Utility Scout, the Swashbuckler. “We” do a little bit of everything. “We’re” like that company that doesn’t make any products, “we” just make the products better.

Both get a low damage tank pet for soloing (or tanking in a small group without a fighter), a medium damage scout type pet good for sustained damage (probably good for raids or other long encounters) and a high burst damage mage type pet good for normal grouping.

Couple of points:

1. Spells get ‘replaced’ every 14 levels (or so) with improved versions, typically with additional/different effects. So they’re aren’t (anymore) wrong decisions that you can make early on which will hurt you later.

2. There are Master 3 spells as part of the DoF expansion, but they require a raid level encounter just to get the components.

3. Re crafting, some adventure classes have advantages as crafters, but at this point the difference is relatively small. If you’re worried about min/max-ing and the best crafter you can, pick a class which can regen power, drain power from a pet, convert health to power, etc. (i.e. enchanter, conjuerer, bard, etc.)

4. Ways to travel, nobody mentioned the Splitpaw shard which takes you to there w/easy access to Thundering Steppes (good 20+ hunting) or the DoF Mysterious Bottle which takes your city gates (good 10+ hunting).

5. If you want to make money, tradeskilling is a fine way to do it, regardless of the class you choose, but it’s going to take some up front cash to get moving. It’s much more important to pick one that interests you. To truely roll in the bucks you need to do lots of things, not just one. Harvesting quests (from your TS wholesaler) are a great source of early cash, for example.

Toepeg
50 Illisionist/45 Carpenter of Oggok

See I liked EQ2 very very much, but I could not find anyone to play with consistently. I found a few pickup groups which were fun but I didn’t know anyone anywhere. And now I have weird playtime (after 8 PST, thursday and friday off now) so it’s going to be super double plus hard to find anyone that could potentially bring me back into the game :/

I tried, though.

Hm … check out Najena, the official Aussie / NZ server. Perhaps there’s a guild that has appropriate playtimes. I have a friend who works graveyard / late swing shift. She joined an Aussie guild and it’s been a perfect match.

My friends want to play on an RP server. There are two, high pop and low pop. Which should I choose?

For tradeskills Id like to find the one that is the most useful to have personally either because the items are much cheaper to make myself or much harder to get from others. I like alchemy in wow, so I am think of that in EQ2, although I have no idea if alchemy in EQ2 is anything like the alchemy in WoW.

Are furies magic damage dealers mostly or melee damage dealers? In the end game will they end up in one specifc role? For example in WoW, if your a 60 druid, your going to be healing and buffing no matter what build you went for. Id hate to play a fury and then get to the raid content and end up being a 2nd class healer because my nukes/melee ability is less important then my healing ability.

High pop. I love the game, but to be blunt, it does not have as many players as WoW. I’m in a medium population server, and have my character too far advanced to want to change over, but even with medium pop, I wish there were more people in the average zone to form pick-up groups with.