EQ2 ugliness, nothing to share with the "Uncanny Valley"

So far as I know, the per-poly collision in Doom 3 is referring to bullet collisions, as opposed to the hit-boxes that a lot of other games use. I remember John Carmack saying that people who were good in Quake 3 were finding they missed a lot in Doom 3 because the collisions were so much less forgiving.

The screenshots where taken in “Big Bend” center place if you want to check. And I have a geforce 6800GT.

Anyway. I pointed at precise cases.

The first screenshot with the ugly face. The second with that awful chest texture and the seams. The bad animations in the third. The totally wrong animation in the fourth (you are forgetting that he is drinking with the arm above the head). The misplaced animation in the fifth and the hair of the trolls in the last one.

I wanted you to “zone out” all the other parts of those screenshots and focus on those huge approximations.

THOSE aren’t “styles”. Those are graphical bugs and the game is ridden with them.

What I’m saying is that the game could look much, much better if only the artists put on it a little more care.

I actually think that the ogre model is one of the best looking one if it didn’t had horrible animations and graphical bugs (it even has dots “holes” all around the belly).

quick quick - someone upload some snapshots of WoW models close up.
We all rave about the whole art direction in WoW - but how often do we look this closely at WoW?
I know I never zoom close up to an Orc…

Well the EQ2 engine is just an enhanced version of the SWG engine so you get what you get on that front.

Seriously. I don’t play either of these games, but am so sick of you WoW fans that I want someone to post a side-by-side with HRose’s first cap up there, just so I can say HAHA QWNED

Got one.

Oh yes, look at those realistic WoW textures. There’s nothing more realistic than faces made out of four planes joined by razor-sharp edged. You’re funny fuckers.

Wow way to pick the shittest angle pic you could find. Good job dude.

You sir are a funny fucker.

Those models are seriously ugly, Sony should really remake them. Oh wait, they did…

It’s not like HRose’s pictures are representative of how the entirety of EQ2 looks either! That’s rather the point, isn’t it?

Except they are pretty clear pictures of what some of the models look like. Its not like he took a screenshot of the lady’s face and cut off the hair and then bitched because the hair looked like shit.

Here are a couple more:

check the unbelievable clipping going on, plus the super realistic and pretty joints and textures on that gryphon:

OPPPSS! TEH MOON DID CLIP ON THE CLOWDS?

Regardless what anyone says, there’s imperfection on each side. The uncanny valley theory, however, would only apply to EQ2 from what I see, because it’s the only one that’s marginally realistic.

It was actually the best I could find. Or I guess I should say the only one I found. Close-up on a character, that is.

I’ll reiterate that I don’t play either, so am at the mercy of google. But if WoW is so vastly superior, shouldn’t it have been difficult to find any WoW screenshot, regardless of angle, that wouldn’t be light years ahead of EQ2?

I don’t think that’s a bug. I suspect it’s a systematic problem. Some of the character models can look horrible with the wrong parameter set and look quite good with the right ones. I suspect the NPCs have randomized parameter sets and they didn’t bother to link them all/hand tune them all, so you get some stuff like that. Frankly, though, the first pic doesn’t look “bad” to me, just “homely”. Probably not what they were going for, but I’m okay with a more realistic world where every character isn’t fairy-tale pretty.

The second with that awful chest texture and the seams.

Any chance you could take a paint program and circle the seams you’re talking about? Really the only thing I can see that might qualify is the edge that’s naturally formed on the bottom of the pecs. Not a single blessed thing looks out of place on the ogre picture, except that the chest strap is too “flat” because it’s a painted-on texture.

The bad animations in the third.

Clipping issues are ubiquitous. WoW has them too. I think people are just more forgiving because their minds are already working to gloss out the obvious inaccuracies. It’s more noticeable in EQ because it’s more jarring: i.e. because EQ is more realistic. Frankly, the animation clippings are a nuisance anywhere but they bother me no more nor less here than in WoW, FF X, or any of (all) the other games they occur in.

The totally wrong animation in the fourth (you are forgetting that he is drinking with the arm above the head).

Hey, I agree with you on that one. I’m not sure what’s going on. At a guess I’d say the data got corrupted somehow and the shoulder vertices got linked to the wrong bone. Did you perchance send in a bug report there?

The misplaced animation in the fifth

You’re honestly going to say that a spoon poking through a mixing bowl in EQ2 when I make bandages out of thin air in WoW is the worse of two evils? Come on here!

and the hair of the trolls in the last one.

Again… stringy, gross hair on an ugly creature like a troll? Totally works for me. That’s a hideous creature, no doubt, but it’s supposed to be! I think that’s a sign of good graphics.

THOSE aren’t “styles”. Those are graphical bugs and the game is ridden with them.

What I’m saying is that the game could look much, much better if only the artists put on it a little more care.

No, if only the artists put in tons more care. Sure it could look better. It’s like WoW could look better if only the engine pushed more polygons. However, it’s not like running around in EQ2 is full of only the complaints you have and nothing else. Post up a pic of a kerran, or a well tweaked PC as well for comparison. Hell, even on the clipping problem on the human woman you show with her hands through her waist, the rest of the model looks pretty phenomenal to me.

WTF? It’s not like OMG is bitching about the ogre’s bodies! I can guaran-fucking-tee that from a distance where you don’t notice the ogre’s heads blockiness, you also don’t notice the homeliness of the human female face in EQ2.

I’m trying to figure out where you’re coming from here. Both games have stuff that looks like shit in the wrong light. Except in EQ2 it’s apparently okay to infer the entire game looks like that at all times from the screenshots, and in WoW we have to remember that we generally don’t stare up the ogre’s nostrils? (Hey, I’m generally not doing a pore count on the women in EQ2 either, really! I’m nowhere near that hard up for companionship! :P )

I don’t even think you can really say one is even close to the other. It’s like comparing apples to an over cooked tough as nails 14oz rib eye.

Except in EQ2 it’s apparently okay to infer the entire game looks like that at all times from the screenshots

No, its not, and HRose said as much.

As I and others commented, EQ2 houses both some of the best and the worst art you’ll ever see… In EQ2 lots of art and animations are placeholders. They would be subpar for even a low-cost console product. They are aproximate and obviously rushed out. They shows no care for the detail.

That was his thesis. That EQ2 looks ugly not because of uncanny valley or Bryce3D art but because of inconsistency.

I think some of you are mistaking “bad workmanship” with “bad art”. The art style in EQ2 doesn’t seem necessarily bad, but just a little carelessly put together. Ever seen a great pencil drawing that had one very visible and very distracting line that wasn’t fully erased? That’s what I see when I look at technically shoddy game art.

Also, since we’re apparently comparing the two games, the eating/drinking animation in WoW isn’t too much better than the HRose’s EQ2 shot of the ogre with the mug over his head. My poor little Gnome mashes food through his entire head every time he eats. :P

This is my char in WoW

This is my char on EQ2 :)

All due respect, your settings are too low. Textures look much better in the game when set to high-end levels. Issue here isn’t that game has uniformly ugly textures, more that it doesn’t scale well, and developer should probably have paid closer attention to how it looks on lower-end systems.

If your rig can handle it, try setting game to highest graphical settings just for few seconds. Will still bring most computers to their knees in terms of frame rate, but you’ll see what devs were looking for.

Uh, yeah, I’m pretty certain nobody here is arguing that WoW is realistic.