Essential Oils And Other Holistic Bullshit

Outside of my Grandfather’s ancestral home there was this native plant called a Texas Mountain Laurel that dropped special red beans which, when rubbed fast on a rough surface like concrete, could be used to slightly burn the bare skin of, say, stupid cousins. Sometimes beans are indeed the solution.

OTOH, perhaps My_Username as a fellow bean connoisseur could try aerosolized caster beans and get back to us with the results! I await your report with great interest.

Love it. This thread has devolved to this ^ I think that means people here are running out of fragments to use to create more of these unimpressive arguments. Well, I tried. This goes to show that people form beliefs based on what they want to believe, based on emotion–even when presented with objective evidence that conflicts their current beliefs. Good job.

At least I can sleep easy knowing I beat the collective troll. Good night.

He beat us, folks! WE ARE DEFEATED.

I think Tom wins for the custom title.

It was actually enjoyable destroying you guys. Sorry I didn’t have time to dismantle each and every one of you, but I think you got the general message: oils are proven to have effective medicinal uses. Is there going to be a ceremony? I don’t have a speech prepared.

Ah. So @My_Username uses “destroy” like any clickbait millennial Facebook “news” site. It figures.

Say what you will about millenial nonsense, This Will Destroy You is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOd2x1xxwRE

As Smash Bros. Melee commentator d1 would say, “DE-STRUCTION.”

I remain astounded at how stubborn and closed the general mindset is in this forum. For the people who stated/and or thought oils are “complete bunk” and have no worthwhile use: is it really that hard to admit that the evidence provided shows scientific merit in their use in certain cases, or at least that someone who uses them isn’t a shill but rather someone using something that is evidence based? That’s clearly too much to expect from someone with their mind already made up.

I get that people out there have some funky ideas. There’s reiki, crystals, eft tapping, etc. that all lack scientific evidence to show effectiveness above placebo. Obviously you guys have oils lumped in the same category. But here you see there’s evidence now and rather than acknowledging it as at least something you continue to dispute them without evidence refuting the studies. It makes no sense other than human stubbornness and insecurity.

@arrendek you shamelessly said I claimed frankincense cured my dad’s cancer, I didn’t. I said he had something growing on his forehead and he wasn’t sure what it was and that frankincense seemed to make it go away–and that that and other testimonials were why I looked for studies relating frankincense to cancer. And what I found was a study that shows frankincense to effectively suppress cancer cells in the bladder while keeping normal ones intact. See? People here incessantly misrepresent my posts. It appears to be their only ammunition.

Spamming threads with no cleverness is just dull. REPORTED

That kind of reminds me of a little more mellow Scale the Summit

There is another band it really reminds me of that I just can. not. place. Will update if I find it.

Explosions in the Sky? They started me down this path, which forever dominates my destiny. I blame Friday Night Lights.

My_Username’s nonsense aside, whoever came up with the term “Essential Oils” deserves a marketing medal of some kind – that is an absolutely fucking spectacular turn of phrase.

“Here, rub this gunk into your skin!”
“Err… I dunno… it smells like armpit.”
“No, seriously, it’s an essential oil!”
“Oh, well then.”

My daughter in college eats all this stuff up, as only a college kid could do. She’s convinced that rubbing [x] oil into the bottom of her feel helps relax her before exams and that [y] oil being “infused” into the air makes her more mentally efficient or whatever.

That’s fine, at least it’s not crystals. I dated a girl in college who believed in “power pyramids” or some bullshit, and I eagerly went along with it in order to get laid, so I don’t have a lot of moral high ground here. And honestly, anything that helps mask the funk of a college dorm is guaranteed to reduce MY stress, and the aromatic oils are cheap and make good stocking stuffers.

I mean, if something smells good and improves your mood, good for you? Idk, mostly stuff like that just triggers my asthma.

Nice pull, but not the one in my head. I was thinking Canvas Solaris. Which took me a while to remember.

Which definitely has a different feel, but there are a few songs of theirs that pick at the same tone.

Placebo’s a hell of a drug.

Neat, I’ll check it out!

Currently Kid A is playing and it’s a high crime and/or misdemeanor to stop it mid-album, so it’ll have to wait a bit.

Nope.

Some oils. More realistically, “a very small number of oils”. Hardly anyone would try to dispute a statement that “a few kinds of oils have medicinal uses”. But saying “oils” is just flat wrong. If you want to be scientific, then be careful about the language you choose.

“proven”? I’m not so sure about that. I’m not going to open some random google doc, so I’ve not seen what you put there. I would be interested in seeing what you consider to be the best of the best, so if you post here a citation for the best scientific study I will read it. I will not be surprised if there is at least one study that effectively shows a clinical benefit for some specific oil product, but neither am I confident that any study has yet been properly conducted and published (data and all) in a peer-reviewed journal. But even a few truly gold-standard studies of specific uses of specific oils does not justify your quoted claim.

The Google Doc is just a list of ten anecdotes with a PubMedCentral link to an article for most. Not the worst example of evidence, but certainly not ‘destroyer’ worthy.

The dislocated knee story is entertaining as well as highly improbable. (Yes. I am calling you a liar.)