Essential Oils And Other Holistic Bullshit

The dislocated knee could totally be something that happened, but it has nothing to do with the essential oils. My girlfriend has dislocated her knee a bunch of times. Having it pop back in on its own is a thing that happens. That’s where it WANTS to be. The big reason why it doesn’t normally, is because folks are freaking out and won’t let their leg relax.

A placebo effect that just makes you think your leg feels better could be enough to relax you, which would cause it to pop back into place, which would then actually make your leg feel better.

I listened to my present gf ramble on about astrology–and let her do some enormous multi-page workup of my star symbols over the course of several days–back in the early days when I thought that was needed to keep getting laid.

Upshot is that I can now bullshot about astrology to mock it reasonably well, because it’s tough to listen to that shit for hours upon hours and not recall at least a bit of it.

I haven’t had to dust this one off in awhile, but I feel this thread merits it.

I’m talking about sweet sweet music with @inactive_user man, got a problem with that?

I mean it is an improvement in every way IMO.

This forum needs a like button.

And an open bar.

It should be somewhat obvious by now that you aren’t going to change anyone’s mind here.
We don’t know you, or anything about you. You just dropped in to ‘educate’ us on this single topic, relentlessly. Thus, it appears that you are trolling. Whether you are right or wrong, I could have predicted the result.

I would suggest finding an audience more open to this sort of thing. I’m sure that George Noory has a fan forum somewhere that would welcome these ideas with open arms, for instance. Or you could hold a seminar. There are people that would actually pay you to hear what you have to say.

You come into a thread titled “Essential Oils and other Holistic Bullshit”. What were you expecting?

At least some other holistic bullshit!

I really liked the part where he responded to Adam’s post that was a clarification to an earlier post that was a description of an animated gif he didn’t have.

That’s truly the sign of good-faith, logically sound argumentation.

Here’s some truth.

99% of the essential oils out there have no scientific backing to show they have more efficacy than a placebo.

Scientists have been looking at them for decades as older medicine + homeopathic remedies are always some of the first to be looked at for disease treatment. Many collapse under the rigors of scrutiny so bad they’re not worth the time and money to write a paper about them.

Essential oils as an industry has a positive success rate on par with global warming deniers. I’m talking about the couple oils worth something vs. the hundreds that do nothing.

@My_Username is the equivalent of Jim Inhofe throwing a snowball at congress then declaring himself the victor proclaiming global warming is a scam.

Claiming you won, while proving next to nothing is typical troll behavior. I would love nothing more than to have every essential oil be a real treatment as would other doctors, it increases the library of weapons we have against disease. The reality is holistic medicine is one of the most corrupt industries in the country preying on the the most vulnerable. It’s akin to calling up an elderly person, telling them there’s a virus on their computer and tricking them into installing your malware. Except in his case you may be actually killing them.

There are a ton of pseudo-science journals out there that have as much academic merit as the University of Bahamas Medical School.

It’s sad that you’ve led this down to an argument about word usage, but you’re wrong. I can say “oils are proven to have effective medicinal uses” just like I can say, “doctors save lives,” even though some of them don’t and even though some do things that kill people.

Yes, “proven.” Of course you “don’t know about that”–you haven’t ever done research on the subject. And I find them all intriguing so I’ll provide all the links with a brief description and you can decide for yourself:

Edit: I can only do two links per post

1. Rosemary oil as effective as minoxidil (Rogain) for regrowing hair - Rosemary oil vs minoxidil 2% for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia: a randomized comparative trial - PubMed
  2. In vitro study on the antiviral effects of peppermint oil on the herpes simplex virus type 1 and 2 - Virucidal effect of peppermint oil on the enveloped viruses herpes simplex virus type 1 and type 2 in vitro - PubMed

Actually it wasn’t a dislocation. It was a subluxation. It may he a unique account, but it certainly isn’t “highly improbable,” seeing as it’s what happened. Like @Timex said, the natural position is where the bones want to be and sometimes a tenseness is what keeps things from going back into their natural positions. It’s not a stretch to believe that oils could have muscle relaxing and analgesic qualities–in fact, in the middle of typing this sentence a brief search found this–Citrus bergamia essential oil: from basic research to clinical application - PMC. It would have been more intelligent for you to say, " yes I think you may be lying," rather than to assume I must be lying. So anyway, nice try ^

My purpose wasn’t to find a sympathetic audience or to change your minds. I saw people saying things about essential oils that are objectively false, I watched people accept these falsehoods, and I made it a point to present evidence that helps bring honesty into this discussion.

?

99% eh? Where are these numbers coming from? Directly out of your ass? “Many collapse under the rigors of scrutiny”? Please provide evidence or stop being a pseudoscientific moron. "couple oils worth something’? Please, it’s a lot more than a couple even with the studies I linked alone. You can’t scientifically say “hundreds that do nothing” until the research has been done on those “hundreds.” And the global warming deniers is a horrible analogy and not worth even talking about.

“providing next to nothing,” well, that’s just ridiculous. I provided everything I needed to prove that essential oils are neither “bunk” nor “bullshit.” I never denied that there is some corruption in the holistic medicine industry, in fact I acknowledged that in my original post. But my point has had nothing to do with that and that fact doesn’t at all take away from the point I made so stop bringing it up (you morons).

1. Frankincense oil suppresses bladder cancer cells while keeping normal cells intact - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19296830/
  2. Shows antimicrobial properties of various essential oils against a multi drug resistant strain in both planktonic and biofilm states - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3994356/

Oh, so now my legitimate posts are being flagged by the community here? Shows how interested in science you all are…

While I didn’t flag them I’d like to point out that 99% of in vitro studies just like the frankincense one you posted do not, and cannot ever end up having an in vivo function because our bodies don’t work like a single layer of film in a petri dish.

What is awful is much of essential oil market uses that frankinsense study to say it will cure cancer (which it hasn’t) and use it for anything cancer related. Which is the problem here @my_username one you continue to ignore. The holistic market bills itself as alternative medicine. An alternative to traditional medicine. And it KILLS PEOPLE. I’ve seen it first hand. When will you admit how incredibly dangerous and enethical this multi billion dollar industry is? And that in its current form it does more harm than good? Taking vulnerable people’s money then leaving them in worse condition than they started financially, physically, and emotionally?

Actually, the forum did it itself because you’re a new user with successive posts linking to the same domain. It thinks you’re a spammer.

Jesus, we keep going in circles because you keep trying to argue something I’m not interested in arguing. Once again, I was showing scientific evidence in an effort to counter fallacious assertions that essential oils are bunk and bullshit. Asking me to admit that something is more one thing than another when we couldn’t know because the statistics aren’t there is just plain unscientific. I’ll also note that if someone goes some sort of alternative route to treat cancer and dies that doesn’t mean that the person that treated them “killed” them. The 5 year success rate for chemotherapy is 2.1%. Of course this is an average and there are some rates in the 30s and 40s. Saying that the person who treated someone an alternative way killed the person is the same as claiming that every doctor who had a patient die under their care is a murderer. Statistically the person with cancer had a significant chance of dying anyway, so it may have had nothing to do with the methods used. Also we don’t know whether some of these alternative methods have a percent of success rate due to lack of research. So to claim they don’t work or are responsible for killing people is again, unscientific. I’m not claiming they work but I don’t jump the gun and claim the contrary like a lot of people want to.

No it’s not the same. And in the case I’m referring to the 5 year survival rate was 80%. Yes we are going in circles because you’re trying to validate an entire industry when it should just be left to scientists and doctors to test. You’ve been doing your very best to redeem the industry. To claim you weren’t claiming “they work” ie essential oils is in-sincere.

80% survival rate? And what treatment for what cancer has that? Even if that’s true there’s a 20% chance the person would have died anyway and the person responsible for his or her treatment didn’t “kill” him or her. You can keep saying I’m “validating” an industry but I’m not. I’m validating some uses of some products within an industry. Nothing more, nothing less. Saying that’s validating the industry altogether is like saying one pro Obama statement is the same as validating his entire administration and everything it did. Keep trying.

I feel like I’m having a conversation with a bunch of 18 year olds who haven’t learned how to properly support or counter an argument. And I guess it makes sense. Most people older than 18 still don’t understand how to do these things.