Essential Oils And Other Holistic Bullshit

Pretty sure “the qt3 community is a bunch of young people with little experience arguing positions” is the problem here, yeah, good point.

Thank you. I agree it was a good point.

V Lol @Timex that’s a horrible drawing and yet another example of your incompetence in providing anything of value to this discussion. You are unintelligent and you display an utter lack of creativity. What are you actually good for? At least I can present logic and science in the face of bullshit. I guess I’m just dealing with a bunch of people who are inferior to me. It’s not your fault my aptitude is so much higher than all of yours. Not everyone can excel at everything they try like me. What’s that smell? Oh yeah, victory.

Btw, I’m surrounded by trolls.

Why are you still here?

The irony. Listen to yourself.

I’m still here because people keep coming up with bad arguments that need to be refuted. And sure, I was intentionally being snarky there, mostly to give shit to @Timex, the one who told me to eat a giant bag of dicks. But also it’s basically true. I’m good at everything I do and no one here seems equipped to debate effectively.

So after over 100 new posts in a few days what have we established? That there are scientifically proven medicinal purposes for a various essential oils. That we agree that there is shadiness in the “alternative medicine” market (as in any market), and that most people develop arguments based on word vomit versus actual science.

It’s like rope-a-dope, but you’re not even trying. The dope just keeps running into the rope, and you’re like, “dude, stop, but don’t really holy shit there he goes again.”

^ still without any substance. And just so you know, that’s not how rope a dope works. Watch “Muhammad Ali dodges 21 punches in 10 seconds” and you’ll realize your error. And basically I’m Ali in that video, and you guys are that fury of missed punches.

'mout peace

“Some things are useful sometimes” is a sufficiently broad argument to be both irrefutable and useless.

If some kid runs into the room waving his dogeared copy of Atlas Shrugged eventually you reach the point where you tire of arguing with these same discussions over and over again that you’ve had for decades. Let the next generation work it out for themselves.

It’s not that certain topical uses one or another naturally derived oil may have some benefits - i’m sure if you pour any matter of substances on a skin infection they’ll have all sorts of surprising results. This doesn’t mean there is a large, overlooked branch of traditional medicine that’s being disregarded, it means we disregard out of hand sweeping generalizations like “essential oils” which is a meaningless catchphrase and today a synonym for a large, unscientific movement that associates essential oils with other holistic, unproven forms of medicine, which people have been tricked or deluded into using in preference of more tested and proven treatments.

In other words, we’re too old for this shit. Go find that Ayn Rand loving fellow and argue with him.

Gosh yet another sorry attempt to appear right. You guys just can’t put together a coherent argument, can you? Even though it should be obvious, I’ll point out where your attempt utterly fails. You could say the same thing about any proven medical procedures–that those “things work sometimes.” And yes, they do, and it’s irrefutable if they’re proven effective above placebo, much like the things I posted. You just put a sentence together worded in a way that you hoped would devalue my assertion but it didn’t. Once again, the studies I posted proved scientifically that various essential oils have medicinal properties. I win.

Dude. Those were in vitro studies that indicated potential medical benefits. They were not well designed clinical studies of actual treatment. Big gap between potential and demonstrated.

5 year success rate? What is a success rate? Does it mean cure? Perhaps you meant overall survival? Progression free survival? There’s a big difference.

2.1%? What kind of cancer?

Chemotherapy regimens for Hodgkin lymphoma, seminoma, non-seminoma germ cell tumors, diffuse large B-cell lymphoma, Burkitt lymphoma acute myeloid leukemia, hairy cell leukemia, acute promyelocytic leukemia, acute lymphoblastic leukemia, gestational trophoblastic disease – these all have CURE rates much much higher than 2%. Some of them are in the 90% range. That’s just off the top of my head.

I am not aware of any randomized controlled studies that demonstrate essential oils cause a difference in overall survival or even progression free survival (never mind cure) in any type of cancer.

I know this thread is discussing essential oils in regards to diseases other than cancer but essential oils are marketed heavily to cancer patients which is unforgivable in my view.

I take great comfort in knowing that the marketing folks who prey on cancer patients will enjoy the same fate as the Marketing Department of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.

Lol, some of them were in vivo. Good work actually giving them a close look…

I was in a cancer support group for a while. One of the women in the group was opting out of conventional treatment in favor of some sort of salve that her guru recommended. Yep, her guru. He would smear it over her chest every so often. She said that it was black and it smelled really bad. She said she could feel it pulling the cancer out of her. She said that she felt like her tumor was shrinking. That was a little over two years ago. Guess where she is now? If your guess was sitting at home living out her life, guess again. I found out at a memorial service last month for someone else in the group that she had died.

It was really disheartening to hear her talk, but one of the rules of the group is that we weren’t there to give each other medical advice, or to comment on anyone else’s choice of treatment. After the group, some of us tried to talk to her outside, but there’s only so much you can do while everyone’s heading back to their cars.

I imagine her guru sounded pretty much exactly like the dude in this thread who decided to show up and post just because some people on the internet weren’t smart enough to debate him. I imagine he’s probably still out there selling smelly black salve.

Anyway, the point is that in my experience, the five year success rate for holistic bullshit over actual medical treatment is 0%.

-Tom

Well your experience sounds scarce so I don’t trust your 1 person anecdote. And again, the survival rate for many treatments is low so there’s a good chance the person would have died either way and that it wasn’t her “guru’s” fault. But anyway, I never advocated for a topical administration of a salve to treat someone’s cancer. I simply posted evidence proving the medicinal usefulness of various oils–evidence that most here seem too stubborn to acknowledge. When I advocate specific oils it’s with the scientific knowledge that they actually work in those cases. So lumping everyone who recommends oils for something into the same category, as quacks, is simply wrong and dishonest. Where’s your integrity people?

Says dude that posted anecdote of relative rubbing oil on head.

I provided numerous anecdotes followed by scientific evidence. The one following that study demonstrated the cancer suppressing qualities of frankincense for bladder cancer face palm