Essential Oils And Other Holistic Bullshit

A grain of truth will not cover up the mountain of bullshit your industry is built upon, no matter how hard you try.

Well, it’s not “my” industry, seeing as I don’t sell the stuff. And the industry is built upon millions of testimonials and at least hundreds of studies showing efficacy. Unfortunately some people exaggerate along the way. But you’re just playing word games. You’re trying to make it sound like there’s very little benefit and there is a heaping amount of problems. You put no substantial evidence forth to support such a ratio and even more, you are merely distracting from the point. Once again, your claim that essential oils are “complete bunk” was wrong–they are medicine.

Holy crap man, we’re right back to start! There are not hundreds of essential oils that have undergone double blind studies to test to for efficiay, placebo effect and side effects. There are a couple that say “maybe” and a few that show they don’t HURT you. DUDE! Mr. Math minor 1 to the 4th power is still 1. You are such a sneaky troll by pulling out just a tiny bit of truth and slathering it in false hoods then claim you’re right. If you’re not insulted by pointing out you have the ethics and loose play of facts like a trump, you should be. It’s a wake up call. Please don’t grow up to be that guy and if you do anyways, I would kindly suggest you donate your organs to people who desparetly want to make a positive impact on this world.

You must either be dumb or a deceptive punk. I never said there were hundreds of oils that have gone through testing. In fact, there aren’t even hundreds of essential oils, as we’ve already established (123 are listed on Wikipedia). I said there are hundreds of studies–approximately 150 to which I’ve linked. You are the master of devious misquotation and misrepresentation. Clearly your ethics are lacking. A couple that say maybe? Wow, what lie. There are at least dozens that say yes, this was effective for what we were testing and/or had an effectiveness significantly above placebo. There are hundreds that demonstrated that people weren’t hurt. Keep on lying man. This is pure entertainment. You must be a lost cause. Did you finish school?

Now that you’re just slinging insults, I think it’s time for you to move on. We’ve heard what you have to say and we’ve been more than patient with you. Unfortunately, you don’t seem able to interact with people without being antagonistic and you’re apparently not interested in participating in this community beyond picking fights in this thread. But thanks for dropping by. I would say best of luck with your efforts to sell people on essential oils and other holistic bullshit, but it’s not a cause I agree with, so I actually don’t hope you have good luck with it.

For the time being, I’m going to close this thread. I’ll unlock it in a few days.

-Tom

Do you know why the dinosaurs died out?

Look at that poor fella. His chi is completely out of balance!

My Mom DIED from skin cancer, so yeah, cancer from melanoma IS REAL.

@username, As soon as you say people are using essential oils successfully on tumors, you’ve crossed a credibility line. When you start comparing them to clinically studied and FDA approved treatments like various chemotherapies, you lose all credibility with me,

I’ve just been sitting back and watching this thread. Go to any aromatherapy or essential oils site and look at what they are trying to sell to people. You keep going back to tree oil. No one argues in that there are some oils with efficacy in some areas. We used to keep aloe plants in the labs because the “sap” from the aloe plant was good for minor burns like when you accidentally grabbed a hot glass tube, but I’d never use it for a serious burn,

Why people here push back so much is because a lot of people go to site or essential oil “parties” (this has become a big multilevel marketing scam) and believe the B.S. that these are good substitutes for clinical meds for serious conditions. I don’t need to look up a lot of fairly shallow papers to know why certain oils do nothing as an effective cure. My Ph.D. is in chemistry with a strong Biochem slant and I’ve worked with doctors at the University of Michigan to develop anti-cancer vectoring agents that we designed to go to the site of the cancer cells and deliver the anti-cancer mechanism while minimizing the negative effects on healthy tissue. We can get on a white board and put the actual chemical structures on the board and move the bonds to show the detailed chemical mechanisms of attack on the tumors and the chemistry of the tumor cells themselves. I can tell you with certainty there are no essential oils (these are just chemicals after all) that anyone claims to have efficacy on cancer that are effective alternatives to best available technology. While I’m not working in that field today, my younger brother is a Ph.D. immunologist and we regularly discuss the latest treatments and approaches, in extreme technical detail.

Don’t try to argue with @Hiredgoons, a practicing oncologist with a long history of seeing and treating cancers, every day, for years, about chemistries and treatments for cancer.

I just say this about credentials so you don’t use the “people disagree with me because they don’t know how to read a technical paper.” The whole “essential oils” movement reminds me of years ago when people ran to Mexico for apricot pit miracle cancer cures instead of the best available tested treatments. The quacks in Mexico got rich while the patients died.

If you want to say some chemicals (there’s nothing magic about “essential oils”) derived from plants have some interesting use in things like athletes foot, no one is going to take great issue with that. Just don’t cross lines to defend all of the people out there trying to get rich on essential oils, and don’t cross the lines on things like cancer or diabetes or other serious illness treatments. Chemo has a 2.5% cure rate? Uh, no.

This kind of thing is nice for older people. Lavender oil helps my mother sleep on top of a large dose of morphine. Smells are comforting for people who have always liked to use a bit of toilette water. I know someone who visits a number of folk in care homes with her oils. She is easy to talk to so that in a way she is more the cure than the oily smell

Your mom should try ingesting the morphine. I don’t know what kind of packaging hers comes in, but it can’t be comfortable.

bravo. golf clap.

Guy who joined to post in the snakeoil thread. Noice.

I think my mother-in-law just got ripped off with a $400 purchase of a bottle of miracle health supplements (60 tablets). The “friend” who recommended it then proceeded to tell her at least 2 bottles needed to see effects… that is $800 for a 4 month period (120 tablets, 1 a day).

And we have no clue what are the ingredients and hopefully it only contains vitamins and not active drug ingredients that may interfere with her usual prescribed long-term medication for her blood pressure.

We’ll be having a long talk over this when we meet her for dinner.

Preying on ignorance for cash is detestable.

Fixed that for you.

Ouch. Seriously. Ouch.
Unless they work. But I wouldn’t bet $800 on it.
Hell, I was spending $900 for 3 months of cholesterol meds (Crestor) that WERE working, but had to cut back to less effective meds (Lipitor) because I just could not afford the Crestor after my employer gimped my insurance last year. But man, that Crestor was seriously great. My numbers were perfect when I was using it. Lipitor still helps a lot, but nowhere near as much. But for $24 for the same three month supply, I really had no choice.

But $800 for “miracle” supplements? I mean, I really, really hope they help your MIL, but what does her doctor say about it? I imagine he’d have a better recommendation if she’d ask him.

Yea, we’ll be checking on what she actually bought when we visit her over the weekend.

Hey! Nice time for a bump!

Here’s how GOOP (featured in this thread before) and Infowars (yes, the Alex Jones site) sells the same bullshit to opposite sides of the political spectrum:

[quote]
We at Quartz have created a compendium, from Ashwagandha to zizyphus, of the magical healing ingredients both sides of the political spectrum are buying, and how they are presented to each. We looked at the ingredients used in products sold on the Infowars store, and compared them to products on the wellness shops Moon Juice and Goop. All make similar claims about the health benefits of these ingredients, but what gets called “Super Male Vitality” by Infowars is branded as “Sex Dust” by Moon Juice.[/quote]