Essential Oils And Other Holistic Bullshit

Well, it’s the same blog that I linked to earlier. Like you, I can’t find other discussion of the situation as a whole. So I don’t know if he’s leaving out a lot of relevant facts.

Given this situation, it’s perfectly reasonable for doctors not to prescribe them. Certainly I don’t plan to prescribe any Russian drugs when I get my own practice. Imagine if a patient gets liver failure on one – and remember that people are getting liver failure all the time for random reasons. The patient’s family decides to sue and I’m stuck defending my decision in court. “Yes, Your Honor, I admit I told the deceased to buy a medication no other psychiatrist in the state has ever heard of from a sketchy online Russian pharmacy. But in my defense, there was a study supporting its use in Zh Nevrol Psikhiatr Im S S Korsakova. Which I didn’t read, because I don’t speak Russian.”

One big area of Soviet medical research that has potential is bacteriophages, especially with antibiotics running out. There have been a couple of western clinical trials, but it’s still a relatively tiny research area considering how critical the antibiotics situation appears to be.

Oh, and my favorite example of this garbage was from last year when this showed up on my news feed during the Big Ebola Scare. My sister’s friend decided to take advantage of the outbreak (I believe it had just reached the US) so she could sell some of her wares.

Naturally, I proceeded to make fun of her, which really pissed my sister off. Which I’m totally okay with. But it just goes to show you what kind of ignorant shitheels a lot of these people are.

This virus cannot survive cinnamon but magically all the cells in your body are unaffected! Haha. Stuff like this is why I know the world is going to shit. The vast majority of adults aren’t capable of any scientific understanding or critical thinking at all.

LSD can’t survive the chlorine in tap-water, but your body manages to process both, without interference, just fine ;)

To me this looks borderline malicious. i.e. she knows that no one on here facebook list will get ebola, and they’d al believe her deliberate lie about cinnamon oil?

With most of the ground-level lackeys for this shit, it’s better to assume Hanlon’s Razor. Now, the guys at the top? Definitely malicious.

You gotta patent and sell the stuff. Same thing as the other holistic meds out there.

Agreed - somebody she trusted sold her a bill of goods and she was probably just trying to help by spreading the “good word” about this magical, all-natural remedy. Confirmation bias sucks.

To me this looks borderline malicious. i.e. she knows that no one on here facebook list will get ebola, and they’d al believe her deliberate lie about cinnamon oil?

I dunno, the impression I got from US media (and to be fair a distressingly non-trivial proportion of UK media) was that lots of people did believe Ebola infection was a material risk for an arbitrary US/UK resident.

From my FB feed:

We found an amazing dentist!!! They are holistic so they were very encouraging to us. They liked that we used DoTerra toothpaste and that we avoided fluoride like, well, the poison that it is. They talked about oil pulling and mercury poisoning and whole body care. Best dental experience ever.

Vaccination kills.

Fluoride poisons.

DOTERRA SAVES!

Burma Shave!

Isn’t fluoride, like, the main effective preventive thing that dentists do?

What does a dentist who doesn’t use fluoride do? Also, can he even be certified?

He would be able to do all of the other stuff that dentists do?
Cleaning (although done by his assistants, generally), cavity detection and repair, etc.

Although I’ve never heard of a dentist that thinks fluoride is harmful. They should probably check out that guy and make sure he’s not just some random dude on the street who likes drilling peoples’ teeth.

Or hell, technically filling cavities may be the more profitable part of the business, so maybe it’s his business angle!

“Yes, yes… don’t use fluoridated toothpaste… in fact, don’t brush your teeth at all, it erodes the natural protective layer on your teeth. Which needs to be fortified with lots of acidic food and sugar. I recommend you wash your mouth with coke every night before bed.”

Can I have Diet Pepsi instead, Dr. Timex?

Flouride is how the rooskies plan to drain us of our manly essence.

I can swear to you, my boy, swear to you, that there’s nothing wrong with my bodily fluids. Not a thing, Jackie.

The only reason the Feds are pushing Flouride is because Obamacare doesn’t cover dental work! Good teeth but rotted brain, THANKS OBAMA!

One thing that helps me deal with it is the realization that this is by no means a new phenomenon.

Throughout the entirety of human history, the vast majority of people have no idea how anything works.

My wife is a dental hygienist, she says within 30 seconds of working a patient, she can tell if they grew up in a place with fluoride in the water. I don’t know if it’s like this everywhere, but in Utah the fear of fluoride comes from John Birchers in the 50s and 60s who thought it was a Communist plot to poison us all.

I went on a business trip to Wisconsin, the place we stayed had a famous restaurant that served a huge hamburger with the bun being made out of grilled cheese sandwiches. After our host said finishing it would get my name on the wall, I decided to go for it. After that mistake I went back to the hotel with my co-worker, and when I stated complaining about an upset stomach, he mentioned that he had his set of essential oils, and had a cure that would get rid of my upset stomach quickly.

I felt pretty crappy, and after he spent a few minutes explaining how he used them all the time with no ill effect, I decided to give it a shot. He put a few drops in a cup (peppermint and a couple of other things), mixed it with water, and I drank it all. 15-20 minutes later I was on the toilet with diarrhea, while at the same time puking into the trash can. This went on for a while until I’m sure my body was totally empty. The next morning I went off on him about how sick it had made me.

His response? “Yeah, that’s how it works, it gets all the stuff making you sick, and flushes it out”.

Thanks dude.

Rich, I am just quoting this because you deserve recognition for making QT3 a much better place.