Essential Oils And Other Holistic Bullshit

I tried acupuncture (with TENS) for my wrecked tennis elbow (thanks to working in IT and playing PC games for too long) and it did nothing. However, I think the tendon was pretty trashed and only surgery seemed to fix it.

However, when I was laying in the quiet/dark room with the needles in… I nodded off a little and had some of the freakiest dreams/lucid dreams. Very crazy stuff.

Funny how every alternative medicine types say this (you have to keep coming back).

You don’t stop taking antibiotics after one dose…

I get where you are coming from, but not everything that takes multiple treatments is automatically a scam. Having said that, sitting there for that length of time with needles in your extremities isn’t my idea of a great time.

@orald have you tried a chiropractor?

Very true. But pain relief of this type usually works or doesn’t right away. When you get a dose of morphine they don’t say you need to keep taking it before you notice the start of relief. I think the real deal with acupuncture is the environment and procedure is letting your body relax which can help ease pain, especially since the pain itself can lead to constantly clenched muscles making it more intense. So the more one goes the more they’re able to get into the zone to relax. But the misnomer is that it’s the acupuncture as opposed to process environment one is in. Pain relief is pain relief so I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it. But I bet in a double blind study if a person went for massages that lasted as long as acupuncture in the same environment the results would be the same. Rikki works on a similar principle.

Could be. I haven’t actually had acupuncture before, but have had great success with a similar treatment that uses acupuncture principles combined with electrical stimulation. Even then, (and my guess is this is exactly the same with acupuncture) certain issues respond incredibly well to it, others do not. And in the most dramatic case for me, it was immediate, exactly as you said, so you may not be off the mark.

I have not. Oddly enough, the acupuncturist asked me that. The problem I’m experiencing is from a spinal chord injury and resultant surgery and/or years of running and the pounding. So I’m reluctant to have someone cranking on my spine.

My approach is “I can work/exercise my way out of anything” until I could not.

I hear you, but my issue developed over years so I don’t expect to fix it immediately. Or to fix it entirely. But if I can manage it then I’ll consider myself a lucky guy. But I am suspicious by nature so I have to work on checking that when trying something new.

One thing that has been super helpful is a roller from a company called TriggerPoint.
roller Cures all kinds of ills. Hurts so good.

Is that for the back and bad (compressed) spine? I might get one if so!

Yes, great for the back and pretty much anything that ails you.

Look for a Nucca chiropractor near you. They only adjust one bone at the top of your neck. Won’t touch a thing in your back. It’s also very light pressure, no “back cracking” stuff.

To chime in a word of support for those who actually deserve it; chiropractors do good, medically sound work. It’s just when claims go beyond proven benefits that you have to just step away.

I had a friend at work that had terrible lower back pain, and went to a chiropractor for years to treat it. Said chiropractor, according to her, popped her hip out of socket to relieve the pressure (according to him) every time she went, which was more or less on a weekly basis.

So obviously it kept getting worse because that’s a gigantic load of bullshit, and I told her as much and mentioned that she ought to go see an actual doctor. They did some scans and found she had spinal arthritis that was being exacerbated by weak lower back muscles which weren’t able to properly support her (which were being strained, leading to the majority of the back pain in the first place).

So instead of doing some simple exercises to strengthen her core and lower back, she just paid a chiropractor god knows how much money over the course of several years to make her feel a little better for a couple days.

But this is completely ingrained into our culture around here at this point, even more so than essential oils. Every time I hear someone say they’ve got a backache or a sore neck at least one person in the vicinity chimes in with “You should go to the chiropractor…”.

You know what I never hear, though? “You should get more exercise and maybe do some strength training and work on improving your posture.” In fact if you do say that, you’ll probably be met with derision and a bunch of folks side-eyeing you because you told someone who was in pain that they should exercise.

Yeah, that … isn’t supposed to happen. Sounds like a quack to me.

I have no personal experience with chiropractors. But I did stop by the wiki page right after reading the recent posts in this thread.

It sounds . . . questionable. From the wiki page (emphasis mine):

D. D. Palmer founded the chiropractic in the 1890s,after saying he received it from "the other world"

Bonus points: he was an early anti-vaxxer, which is apparently still common in the chiropratic community.

Not fuckin this again

Actually, I’ve been doing exactly that since last August. In fact, I’ve been working with the chiropractor on what exercises to do and how so as to strengthen the relevant muscles and improve posture without screwing up the alignment.

I don’t think the medical community in general pays near enough attention to simple posture and all the problems that lack of good posture can cause, particularly in this age of idevices.

BS.

My father is a traumatologist (which here also includes bone issues, not only trauma and orthopedic surgery -which he also did-). I grew up being told about my posture ALL THE TIME. More than three decades ago. He was adamant it was the most important cause of bone pain.

He recommends Pilates as a good back strengthening and posture adjusting discipline.

A chiropractor is basically the same as a good physical therapist. But then they also tend to tack on a bunch of unrelated “healthfulness” bullshit, which is unsubstantiated at best and harmful at worst.