Essential Oils And Other Holistic Bullshit

People still do all of that stupid shit. The difference now is that the entire breadth of human knowledge is at their fingertips 24 hours a day and they still choose to be idiots.

If the position is that those who are stupid have less of an excuse for being stupid, sure. Note, however, that a lot of the stupid comes from easy access to stupid ideas, not just good ideas.

I was commenting on how myopic Jpinard’s post was, given the course of human history.

Yeah, there have always been idiots, easily exploited.

I should have classified this. Where we all have the world’s information at our fingertips, all the questions are answered, and people choose to ignore it and make up crazy shit instead. In the past when there was no public education, people were stuck being serfs, they did the best they could. They weren’t willfully ignorant, they weren’t willfully stupid. Patent medicine in the late 1800’s was because we really didn’t know any better. Holistic medicine, essential oils, the new patent medicine is because people chose to stick their heads up their asses and pull out a coffee colonic.

So I feel like based on the information we all have available, we seem to be stupider than ever for the knowledge we have.

I’m pretty sure the average person, especially in developed countries, has a much higher level of education and functional knowledge than at any time in the past, certainly if you go back more than a few decades. I understand it feeling worse when someone with those advantages chooses to buy into something dumb, but I’m not convinced we are doing worse on that front in real terms.

On average we are a lot smarter. All the worlds’ knowledge at our fingertips, almost all questions answered. That makes the dumb ones stick out more. The ones who refuse. The ones who misinterpret. Who are caught up in a maelstrom of stupid.

Because we are herd animals. If the alpha female thinks bleach cures her kids from autism, some dumb gamma will follow her. C’est la vie.

Again, all the worlds’ knowledge. If some dumbfuck in Ouagadougou convinces his dumbfuck village to pour bleach down their children’s’ throats we know. This is new. Used to be this sort of thing was only known to us if it happened within two degrees of separation or a journalist happened upon it.

So it seems worse than it is. A lot of things do. We have never in history been safer, smarter, healthier, happier as a people and as a species. But that aint what makes the evening news.

If only your frop bog would make the evening news. It should, you know. A little love and peace and true safety like that should be shown to the world, to show them it exists.

Well, everyone is looking for an edge, something new to get ahead, and save some time and effort. Everything takes either hard work, time, money or all three. Someone comes along, says they have a system that no one else knows about, that will put you ahead, that is either easy, quick, or cheap, someone is going to fall for it, because people are lazy.

Also, it’s a bit ironic, when we are talking about holistic bullshit, that someone uses terms like alpha and gamma, which is just as much bullshit in a pop psychology sense. If you are going to decry people fall for stupid crap, let’s not fall for it ourself.

lol allright, you got me there :)

Here you go - this gels nicely with the “but after this my child started walking and talking more” totally neglecting the fact that… that’s what happens anyways DUH. Infants learn to walk and talk at an accelerating rate as they grow.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9169925/russian-swimming-coach-torture-babies-pool/

Ella Starkova said her infant was swimming “independently” after a year and half with Rodionova.
Her child’s speech and mental development “accelerated significantly”, she claimed.

My God people are dumb. How many of these infants end up inhaling water, or could suffer a brain hemorrhage.

With as tight and frustrating it is to get grants, somehow this jerk took (possibly) over $3 million and faked an entire study. Even worse? His stuff was published in multiple journals… “magic”

Throw the book at these bastards

Those turds should be rotting in jail.

The journal that those “findings” are published in is hot garbage. The former publisher even ditched it this year, so some dude in germany is now the ‘publisher’.

SJR below is a measure of how often others cite work from the publication. It’s very similar to pagerank.

SCImago Journal & Country Rank

Here’s a reputable journal

SCImago Journal & Country Rank

I guess Jessica Biel sucks now:

And here I thought she had a brain. Dang.

Maybe she once did, but unfortunately caught Timberlakulosis and decreased brain activity is one of the symptoms.

Not sure if this is the exact right thread, but:

I just got an ad for H20Max Hydration Stickers.

It’s literally a $4 sticker you put on the side of your water bottle, and it “activates” your water, making it, uh, something. The claim is that it’s an RFID-like tag powered by “<33TM hydration technology”. What’s that? I’m so happy you asked.

<33 Technology is a passive antenna, not unlike an RFID device (key fob, door access card). <33 devices are embedded with specific, beneficial energy patterns. They are continuously powered and activated by atmospheric wave energies that vibrate below 33Hz, thus eliminating the need for power or batteries.

They have clinical trials!

Beneficially changes the thermodynamics of solvation less negative enthalpy for each injection water makes & breaks bonds when solvating dissolved ions & molecules.
The more heat evolved, the harder it is for water to retain important ions & electrolytes
<33 conditioned water
<33 reduces the heat evolved & helps keep electrolytes in solution

The studies are done by “University Laboratory”. You know you can trust them, because

If you’re interested in further details about the studies please contact us. The signing of a non-disclosure and confidentially agreement may be required.

This website is, like, my new favorite thing in the world.

Someone explain to me why I shouldn’t be allowed to kill the people selling those stickers?

There’s a law… uh, societal norms… uh…

I got nothin.