Essential Oils And Other Holistic Bullshit

I think that technically, your post would be my ammunition.

Well do you really want to get technical ?
Because my post would not be your ammo but the opposing side.

Thanks!

But the opposition to your post is my side, so in opposing your post the opposition is supporting my side, and thus your post is my ammo.

I know the FDA is evil and all but is this the “cinnamon bark/oil stops the spread of Ebola because it kills the virus” theory? Because, I’m sorry, but that’s dumb as hell. But you’re welcome to your opinion, I guess, no matter how scientifically specious it is.

Also, you should be aware that you’re probably not going to find many sympathetic recipients of your messaging here. We’re mostly logical thinkers what with the focus being videogames, nerd media, and tech, but you’re welcome to the discussion.

Thanks Telefrog,

I appreciate that. I’m not so sure about the theory brought up about the cinnamon bark. What I was getting at is that Cinnamon is highly anti-microbial and ingesting it, instead of Skittles, let’s say, would give our immune systems a head start at combating the Ebola virus should we be exposed to it. Can’t argue with logic…

Clearly the only answer is to take a neutral position. But I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

Serious response time.

The reason your suggestion here doesn’t really work, is twofold.

First, in order to achieve any sort of anti microbial effect requires a significant concentration of the compounds find in the oil. It doesn’t have the same impact at more dilute concentrations. Thus, when ingested, unless you are consuming absolutely massive amounts of cinnamon, the simple mixture of the cinnamon with your saliva will quickly result in a concentration that is too dilute to have any significant impact. And of course, this is good, because otherwise it would kill the beneficial bacteria in your digestive tract, and that would be bad.

Second, when you eat cinnamon, it doesn’t just go into your blood. Your digestive tract breaks it down. All kinds of chemical reactions take place. The stuff you eat doesn’t just go into your blood and have the same chemical properties.

Observed properties like anti microbial qualities can give us hints to perhaps investigate new treatments, but things like peer reviewed scientific studies, and legitimate clinical trials are required to establish real value.

The reason that most holistic treatments cannot say that they are approved for treatment of any condition, is because they lack this scientific evidence of their efficacy. You can believe they work, and the placebo effect may even result in then having an effect, but this is not the same as them actually doing anything.

You can eat a bunch of cinnamon, and then expose yourself to Ebola, but I wouldn’t recommend it. You’re probably gonna die.

That’s not logical at all.

I’ll agree that a handful of Skittles are probably less healthful than a lot of foods (certainly, it’s not great for your teeth) but saying there’s a direct line from eating cinnamon to combating Ebola is not correct, at least not according to the science.

There’s a lot of tested and confirmed medicinal benefits from cinnamon, but thus far Ebola doesn’t seem to care. There’s literally zero scientific evidence that ingesting/absorbing cinnamon will keep you safe in an Ebola outbreak, and as for it curing you when you’ve contracted Ebola, well good luck. As with most viruses, the best preventative is living and working in a clean area, regularly washing, and having decent nutrition. Also, staying away from Ebola patients is a plus.

But if you are what you eat, and you eat cows, and cows eat skittles, then therefore you are eating skittles!

http://wnep.com/2017/01/19/thousands-of-skittles-intended-for-cattle-feed-spill-on-wisconsin-highway/

UV light also kills viruses!

Now, why might you suspect that if Ebola is a blood born virus you would be unable to kill Ebola by lowering a UV producing light down into your stomach? Or perhaps, just taking a really long treatment in a tanning bed?

http://i.imgur.com/TRdIedO.gif

I support the new anti–Big-Sugar efforts starting these days though.

Timex,

I like the earnest attempt at explaining all the complexities of the human body, which, let the record show, is by no means scientific in nature but an organic masterpiece… and whether you believe in an entity called God or whichever omnipotent being of your liking, or nothing at all, we can all agree here that your medical analysis is not House but Scrubs.

Pretty sure your not a med student…

Attention everyone who now has an emotionally vested interest in this forum that I just revived from the dead: THE CINNAMON NOR THE EBOLA IS THE POINT HERE.

I absolutely agree with most of what you said here. You seem open-minded and level headed enough to actually consider opposition which is just the mark of an intelligent person. Only intelligent people will come to know new, exciting things because if you are dumb enough to poo poo everything from the start then your bound to become known as the poo poo naysayer. And nobody wants to be friends with poo poo naysayers right? That just slows human progress.

You’re totally right, I don’t think anyone out there is claiming that if a person infected with Ebola virus ingests a large dose of highly concentrated cinnamon ( oil/resin ) (extracted from a cinnamon plant) (not the Domino Cinnamon Sugar cowboy you shake on French toast) that it would kill the bug. All that I am advocating for here is the idea of wellness and preventative measure as you just said so can we all agree that logic states that keeping a well oiled machine is less likely to seize up when exposed to some type of variance.

Craig,

What do u think about that, for real?

Do you realize that organic is a scientific term, and not a synonym for “magic”?

Saying your body is “not scientific in nature” is nonsensical, from a purely grammatical perspective. Science is the process by which you study things like your body. It’s the process which is scientific, not the subject being studied.

But I am in fact a scientist. However, ignoring that, if I was in fact Doctor would that convince you more?

It seems like the answer to that is no, because you don’t seem to be concerned with things like scientific and medical studies.

Lol you guys are actually trying to have a discussion with this loon. Dinosaurs indeed…

You seem to be placing yourself in quite high esteem here. You are a scientist, therefore your unfounded speculation on the biomechanics and chemisrty of the human body are probably as valid as a medical doctor? I have studied science and have a solid belief in the correctness of Newtonian physics, but that doesn’t make me qualified as a fighter pilot.

No? Not at all? Did something I say suggest that?