Essential Oils And Other Holistic Bullshit

Still waiting.

As a libertarian, I believe the same as you do here, because the liberty reduction imposed by others who may suffer from diseases infinitely outweighs the liberty gained by idiots who choose not to vaccinate their kids.

There is no rational argument to be had for anti-vaxxers, period. They’re just anti-science idiots.

Well you’re also someone who is smart enough to think through the consequences ;)

And I should also clarify that it isn’t the only reason. Merely one example of a trend. I’ve always felt that libertarianism is a useful aspect of public policy, and worth balancing. However it also falls afoul of reality in many areas, especially ones where the market is incapable of providing a solution. See: medical care, climate, national parks, and labor. Basically areas where there is a large disparity in power, information, or other factor that prevents people bargaining on equal footing, or where the individually rational choice is to the public detriment (tragedy of the commons and climate type areas).

But that’s quite digressing from the point. Needless to say that

We are in full agreement here :)

@arrendek Yet I provided it. Claims: They’re bunk and don’t work. Response: Scientific evidence proving otherwise.

I’m waiting for a well reasoned rebuttal–there hasn’t been one…

You claimed to have hundreds if not thousands of studies proving their efficacy. Can you link 100 papers, please? or at least 50? Not just abstracts, you did say you’ve read these papers to prove your point.

And your document is full of examples and anecdotes, and a few links. The examples and anecdotes are all about topical uses. Has anyone here claimed they are ineffective for topical use? Also, anecdotes are worthless to science.

Definitely still waiting to be destroyed. I mean, you haven’t even made anyone here sweat yet.

I just scrolled through the thread and I don’t think anyone here claimed that none of these essential oils have mild antimicrobial or antifungal properties.

In my house we do use a couple different oils and herbs in a mix as mosquito repellant (mosquitoes don’t like certain smells). Also we like the smells of some of them.

But aromatherapy has been consistently shown to be bullshit, and the topical uses of these oils have been eclipsed by modern medicine. There are actual antifungal creams out there that are better than whatever oil.

And then the industry is full of scammers and poor/no manufacturing controls and multi-level marketing. You can’t separate this out, it’s part of it.

Also, if you’re going to do a drive by on this forum, I’d prefer if you posted in a video game thread and recommend something we mostly don’t know about.

Please don’t claim I said something I didn’t. Tell me where I said I “have thousands of studies proving their efficacy.” Anecdotes aren’t worthless to science. Clearly it was anecdotes that prompted the scientific studies I linked to be done. They aren’t effective at proving anything, but they are effective at guiding people with viable information, such as guiding a study or my dad guiding my uncle to try a blend of oils for his UTI. <–In both cases the testimonials led to an effective result. Only one can be proven because of course anyone can make up a story about a successful alternative medicine, but my point remains. My goal was less to make “anyone sweat” and more to wave the scientific studies backing up oils in front of the dense collective mind on this forum. Btw, yes there have been many comments that imply oils are “ineffective for topical use.” How about when the OP said “complete bunk”?

Waiting for something useful.

sigh…

this quote conflicts with this quote

Science requires proof. And telling other people to find that proof shows one is full of crap. If I go look for your “proof” all I can find is proof that you’re wrong.

Put up, or shut up as they say. If you have “proof” (you don’t) then present it. Don’t come in, say something and then demand we do your work for you (which results in us just disproving you more anyway).

No thanks. Everyone else is doing a fine job.

@My_Username in typical Trumpian fashion, every time you’re nailed against the wall you deflect or just avoid the comments raised. Seriously must be nice to live in a fantasy world where you can stick your fingers in your ears and hum lalalalalalala. You don’t engage in honest intellectual debate since you won’t respond to Craig’s comments nor my own. You just wave your hand and say, “I’m not going there”.

You’re basically this guy:

Blah Blah, unsubstantiated claims…bring actual evidence to the table before make some far reaching claim.

And calling it a “drive by” is sort of belittling my efforts. I came here with real information to share in order to counter the erroneous claims that essential oils are “complete bunk” medicinally.

No, it really doesn’t…
For one, I already admitted that “utterly destroy” was a bait–a rhetorical device–for people to read the long post. Second, waving scientific studies that counter arguments here (again “total bunk”) in the face of this community is my way of “destroying” their unsubstantiated arguments. But interpret it however you want, even if it’s a means to divert the focus away from the obvious fact that you have brought nothing of substance to this conversation.

And whoops, I thought I was misquoted and scanned through and didn’t find that. I admit that it’s speculation, but if 20 minutes of research found 10 studies then I’m sure 100 articles and/or studies wouldn’t be a big deal to find. Thousands? I really don’t know but it’s not a stretch.

When irony manifests.

@jpinard I replied to numerous of your points and didn’t reply to Craig because much of what he said I found to be uncontroversial and sometimes off the topic of what I was trying to discuss.

“Nailed against the wall”? “Fantast world”? Pffft, I simply linked people with science that ought to get people to question calling essential oils bunk." People have hardly “nailed [me] against the wall”–straw man arguments, diversions from the point, personal attacks, and memes aren’t anything I’m going to put much energy into. Congratulations on yet again adding nothing to this conversation.

Pretty sure at this point my suggestion of eating a bag of dicks had been vindicated.

No you did not. What are you, Sean Spicer?

Hey guys, he brought 8 or 9 studies of questionable merit showing minor affects while claiming that cinnamon oil or something cured his Dad’s skin cancer, where we’ve just like, asked for studies and some sort of proof of his, at least in one place, outrageous claims. So, you know, he’s got us dead to rights.

I’m done with this whole thread. It’s not like anything is going to come up later and this is the second time some random idiot has come on here and told us we’re dumb.

The first time a dude/dudette said cinnamon kills Ebola and this person claimed an essential oil probably cured his dad’s skin cancer. What the fuck are we doing here anyways? I’m out.

Get cracking.

I certainly did. Like…scroll up, man. There’s one I did forget to reply to, though:

Here’s yet another failed attempt to diminish my point. Your anecdote doesn’t have any science backing it up and you also bring up double blind studies as though that were missing from my point:

From study I posted:
“We have conducted a randomized, controlled, double-blinded study to determine the efficacy and safety of 25% and 50% tea tree oil in the treatment of interdigital tinea pedis. One hundred and fifty-eight patients with tinea pedis…”

“There was a marked clinical response seen in 68% of the 50% tea tree oil group and 72% of the 25% tea tree oil group, compared to 39% in the placebo group.”

^ Looks like this clears that up, eh? Not placebo and nor “immune system.” Nice try with the shoddy comparison.