Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Exactly.

Either that or they are playing some elaborate game where they seem not to know each other but really do.

You guessed it. It was all a game. They had a good laugh afterwards. Joel got the giggles.

To be fair, a flashback is a hard thing to keep track of when Wayne and Garth aren’t waing their hands at the screen and declaiming deedly-deedly-doo. Even for a highly respected thinker, it can be tricky.

Tricky, I tell you!

No.

Either that or they are playing some elaborate game where they seem not to know each other but really do.

No again.

The train meeting was after both had had their mind wipes. In a “long term” sense, it was almost the last thing to chronologically occur in the movie.[/quote]

Ok, that makes sense. So the first meeting is at the bookstore, and then at the beach.

I’m still looking for something to elevate this movie. I don’t think I’m going to find it.

My recommendation is less Joel histrionics, more Joel/Clementine relationship development and interaction. But I guess when you’re paying Carrey’s salary, you want to reduce the per histrionic cost by increasing the amount of them.

But what about for the most highly respected thinker on this forum, by far?

You’re still confused. The first meeting is at the autumn beach party with their mutual friends. Eating BBQ on the paper plates, and then Clementine breaking into the summer house.

I’m still looking for something to elevate this movie. I don’t think I’m going to find it.

Before you fully weigh the value of this movie I think your first step should be to really understand the plot.

Yeah if you watch the movie again, the “scenes” which are wiped from his mind are mostly in reverse chronological order as well, excepting the scenes where he was trying to hide Clem in other memories (which have no relevance to their timeline together). So as you watch the movie, it is almost completely in reverse, in a way, except for the very very last scenes with the two of them agreeing to give it another shot.

But what about for the most highly respected thinker on this forum, by far?[/quote]
Still intensely tricky!

I’m curious if he managed to piece together the incredibly intricate puzzle of the Pulp Fiction chronology, which is just as complex and as hard to follow as Eternal Sunshine’s.

You nearly need whole new forms of math to accomplish the task!

My recommendation is to try and fully understand what you’re critiquing before drawing a conclusion.

Jesus.

Since you don’t feel, Brian, it stands to reason that you wouldn’t grasp the idea of young and probably inexperienced people desiring to get rid of painful memories.

Since you don’t feel, Brian, it stands to reason that you wouldn’t grasp the idea of young and probably inexperienced people desiring to get rid of painful memories.[/quote]

There’s a fair amount of young and probably inexperienced people on this very forum. What amount of THEM would actually agree to something like that? Agree to it without much else than a “doctor’s” and his assistant’s word that it works, in addition.

But I guess according to you, there is a burgeoning market ready and waiting for just such a scientific development!

Painful memories anchor the identity. The strongest memories are the very best and very worst. Humans would be much blander, much less interesting, much less passionate, if they simply didn’t HAVE any highly painful memories.

Humans should have MORE highly painful memories, not less. More highly honored memories as well.

I agree that some people (especially young ones) would WANT to have painful memories erased. I don’t agree that very many (and certainly not so many in such a close geographical/temporal location) would actually DO it, especially pioneer it without many qualms.

Also, neither Carrey nor Winslet looked particularly young in this film, which didn’t help. The makeup artists and designers did what they could, but choosing more fresh faced actors would have upped the believability factor.

After a blowhard rant like that I’m going to start imagining you with a monacle and a big white handlebar mustache.

I’d agree with such a statement. Maybe there shouldn’t be, but I believe that there is. Occasionally I entertain the notion of completely wiping certain things from my memory but then I realize that those things were part of the package that got me to where I am today.

Incidently, I believe this is one reason the movie was rated so highly by so many; that everyone has this kind of thought, sometimes.

I liked that they looked late 20s. I wouldn’t have cared nearly as much about 16 or 17 year old characters in this role.

Welcome to the point of the goddamn film! You do realize the title is meant ironically, right? Well, probably not, if you didn’t even grasp the basics of the plot.

It would not even occur to me to think that someone wouldn’t be able to follow this film’s chronology. Very simple and clearly laid out, I thought.

Is there any chance that the “Naomi” referred to by Joel is actually the first incarnation of Clementine in his life? I’ve only seen the movie once, just tonight, but that just occurred to me as a possibility while reading this thread.

Also, how does Patrick get away with calling Clementine “Tangerine”? Clementine would forget her own name when her memory was wiped?

Nah. When Joel says, “She’s nice. Nice is good,” that says to me she was boring. Clementine was anything but boring. It would be an interesting connection but there’s no real point for that to be true.

Also, how does Patrick get away with calling Clementine “Tangerine”? Clementine would forget her own name when her memory was wiped?

IIRC Tangerine was a Joel’s petname for Clementine. He made it up and only he called her that so … it was wiped.

Thanks for the reply; that makes sense.

I looked up LACUNA (the name of the memory wipe company), and it means “a missing part”. Nice.