Etrian Odyssey 4: Etrian's Revenge

It depends on the game for me as the value of the effect varies wildly from game to game. Judging from the demo of EO4, I will flick it on now and again just to be sure it’s not worth it. In Tom Clancy’s Shadow War (I think that was the name) or Mario Sticker Star I quite like the effect and tend to leave it on.

I usually keep 3D mode on but at its minimum setting. I do enjoy the depth effect for various games, but 3D mode tends to tire my eyes. Also, I tend to move the console about while I’m playing stuff, which often makes everything blurry and sometimes gets me killed. Despite this annoyance, I leave it on for the effect and also from the not so rational notion that Nintendo put some effort into this stupid gimmick so I might as well make some use of it.

I like the 3D for Fire Emblem, at least. I have to try the Etrian’s Odyssey 4 demo though–I have I and II but never got very far.

I know there are all sorts of stats about how only like 10% (or whatever) of people finish a given game after they buy it. But I wonder if those people expect to finish the game, and get distracted / stuck, or if they buy it knowing full well they will never finish it. I feel like if I buy an Etrian’s Odyssey game, I’m going into it knowing that finishing it is really not in the cards, and the comments here make me think I’m not alone there.

Wow, My slider has never left the fully-maxed position since the moment I bought the system years ago. I have pretty terrible eyesight, but I have never been bothered by the 3D effect, and find the gimmick at least helps the system stand out from being a mere slightly improved DS handheld.

Though Etrian mostly transposes its text boxes to the foreground while all polygonal stuff is pushed back, I still find the 3D pleasant, and testing the game with the slider off steals away a bit of the uniqueness that the hardware is built around. Most other games utilize it gracefully such as Zelda, Kid Icarus, and Res Evil, but to never experience games with it on? Really? I mean really?

Oh and a few hours with the Etrian demo has been great. Until I hit the overworld and collected numerous scattered items about, including helping complete a sidequest or two for other airship navigators…then I accidentally bumped into a giant kangaroo FOE and lost all progress from before I lifted off. Several levels gone, all my items and sidequests needed redoing, and I now doubt I will buy the game. I understand punishment for death, but this is just disrespectful of my time. Are you forced to warp back to town to autosave? I would have at least understood a checkpoint the moment I first entered the overworld, but now I am at the inn, have to redo the conversations to even obtain my ship, supply myself once again with all the equipment upgrades from the store(including the obtuse monster parts sales to get access to better items…why??).

At least it saved my map progress…but ugh. I REALLY like the game this is trying to be, but its the little things that are now driving me away from bothering.

Yeah, I get my money’s worth out of these games even without finishing them. Hell, I don’t know of many DS games I’ve finished at all.

The game has arisen onto the 3ds store. I…had to delete the demo to have room for it. Hold me.

With EO 4, they added in a “casual mode” that all it does is replace the game over with a money penalty and sends your team back to town if you die in the field. I believe it can be turned on or off at any time during play.

Conceptual, I was totally on board with these games.

I bought the first one when it came out. I had sunk a lot of hours into it when I finally realized that the game just wasn’t very good. Wayyy to grindy and repetitive which apparently had to compensate for the ultra-low budget they had.

I think some eternal corridor with ultra-hard battles finally did it for me.

Every time you would run out of spell points, and then, after returning to town, you had to fight through the same 4-5 levels with trash mobs again to get there because the devs could not be bothered to add more warp points and/or shortcuts. Then you had these boss-like enemies which would respawn in between. The power curve was also very flat. Ugh

I wish Japanes devs would realise that there was more to these game than simply random battle x 1000. Where are the puzzles/riddles? Dialogs with choices? etc.

The mechanics got way better after the first one. They were not nearly as hard and required a lot less grinding.

Still, if you are looking for puzzles and dialogue choices, playing a straight up dungeon crawler isn’t going to give you that.

That’s what casual is? They don’t make the monster encounters any easier?

In that case I’m picking it up tonight. If I have to erase the demo to make enough space, will my save game still be there?

From what I heard, you need to have the demo still downloaded long enough to load the actual game and it will give you the option to copy the save over, then you just have to save one time in the full version and then it’s safe to remove the demo.

It sounds like this game is not for you. There was an even lower budget Dark Spire not too long ago that had a lot in common with EO, but some seriously old school (like text adventure old school) riddles and puzzles thrown in. Still at the core these games would be ruined by filling the floors with save points. EO seems to me to be sort of a rogue like with progression in the way Demons/ Dark Souls is. Namely you gear up to a certain level then push as far as you can finding new loot or resources while trying to get to that next safe point, but the further you push the more depleted you are and the risk goes up. So the ever present question is whether it is worth it to keep going or go back to not risk losing what you have obtained. Admittedly this is not for everyone. True rogue games tend to lose me as the single run is thrilling, but once I die, I don’t really want to play again. Whereas these sorts of games keep my attention as even if I die (and then yell, scream, and stamp my feet) as I still know something about the dungeon layout, potential enemies, and the limits of my party/ character. So I press on again. Just this morning I clearly saw that the encounters had shifted and I was loosing a lot of resources per fight. My TP (EO’s mana) was low and I only had a few medica with a new set of unknown FOE movement patters ahead. I might have been able to push through, but the risk was pretty high at that point that I would miss time a FOE step or miss gauge the tile layout when mapping things out, so I went back home to save, refill, and use my new found monster parts to make better gear.

This last part I really like. Being a fan of Monster Hunter, I really like that killing new monsters unlocks rare and common drops and those drops directly play into what gear I can make and in what quantity from the vendors. It makes it worth it to push a fight against a new enemy or back track a bit and see if I can take down a FOE passed earlier which all plays into the risk/reward calculations as you decide when to go back and when to press on. Again, not for everyone, but it is a core mechanic that I enjoy and is critical to the series to be what it is.

That said there is casual mode. From what I read it does nothing to influence difficulty of battles (I could be wrong), but is kinder on things like letting you go back to town much more often.

It isn’t mutual exclusive. It certainly wasn’t in older games from the west. That’s the whole point I was trying to make.

The full version is not recognizing my demo save.

For me I had to go to New Game, then it found the demo save and converted it. After that I had to save it again as an actual save at the inn and now everything works. My Spelunk guild is continuing its exploration of the world in the mighty airship Red 99! So call the troops out, in a hurry.

Just opened my copy from Amazon and used the above method to import the demo save with no problems. Not sure if I’ll keep the demo party though. My demo party is similar to Chaplin’s with one exception (F/D/N - R/M). I’ve heard that you need a sniper for leg binds later on, so I might switch the medic out.

In case anyone is still looking for QR codes, reddit has a list:

How are you building your Night Seeker? I am starting to question the wisdom about going duel wield. Also, I have a Sniper in the wings that I plan to use for item farm runs which should get caught up real fast for exp later.

I’m still mired in the technology of the 20th century, so can someone explain to me how this works? Is there some way for us to share guild cards online using these QR codes?

-Tom

Just to clarify, I’ve never played Etrian Odyssey before, so I’m probably going to redo this several times. The Nightseeker (level 10) looks like this:
[ul]
[li]Blade Flurry 2/6 - I thought dual wield would work well with the Dancer, but the Assassinate line looks like it has so much synergy with the proficiency that I might drop Blade Flurry. The extra armor slot would also be nice.[/li][li]Sand Throw 3/6 - Lands pretty consistently at low levels and has saved me a couple of times. Also eventually needed for Foul Mastery.[/li][li]Shadow Cloak 2/4 + Auto-Cloak 2/6 - Nice for survival at low levels. I might drop these points now that the Fortress has leveled up Taunt.[/li][/ul]
I might drop the Nightseeker entirely, as I’m told that the Dancer is amazing when paired with a Landsknecht (L/D - F/M/S or F/M/R ?).