Euro Truck Simulator 2: Slow Ride

I’ve noticed this thread popping up on the front page a few times.

Looked up the game.
de fuk?
A truck simulator?
C’mon guys, who wants to play a game where you sit in a bloody truck the whole time… hmm, different radio stations… customise your truck… build a business…

I’m intrigued.

downloads

In a way it’s like a European road tourism simulator but you’re driving a truck and make money.

And that being said, I’m not really that excited for a US version of this, as 80% of this country is completely flat and boring.

Just now I completed a job delivering some “sawdust panels” (I assume they mean that stuff that Ikea furniture is mostly made of) from Stuttgart to Strasbourg, and most of the way was on crappy little rural 2 lane roads in pitch black nighttime–nerve-racking. Awesome stuff though.

Yeah, it would be OK if it were the NE or California or Oregon-Washington-Idaho, or the Rockies, or even Ohio/Pennsylvania, but freakin’ Kansas or Nebraska would probably make me want to kill myself. The developer has actually made a number of trucking sims set in the US, actually (the 18 Wheels of Steel ones), and now I’m curious to at least see some screenshots.

I’m sure the US will be abstracted enough where the landscape of those flyover states won’t be a big deal. ;)

Yeah. An hour in here. It scratches that itch from GTA where getting 5 stars would grow tiring and you just wanted to spend an hour obeying the traffic lights. Having said that, playing ES2 makes me want to unleash carnage in GTA :)

It sure is polished though.

There is some nice scenery in this game, if you take the time to pay attention to it.

And just like RL, you can get stuck waiting to turn at a T-junction!

One thing that drives me a little crazy about the German Autobahnen in this game (and it’s been so long since I’ve been in Germany–over 20 years–that I can’t remember if it’s this way IRL) is that the signage is somewhat ambiguous on telling you whether the lane you’re currently in is exit-only or whether it continues.

A question-- it looks like the developer didn’t get the license for Mercedes trucks (they’re euphemized as “Majestic” and have an eight-pointed star). I could have sword I’d seen a screenshot with the Mercedes three-pointed star–is that a mod or something?

You guys are cute.

Did you know that there is a plethora of these simulator games? Like “Landwirtschaftsimulator” (farming simulator), “Holzfällersimulator” (lumberjack simulator), “Flughafenfeuerwehrsimulator” (airport fire department simulator), circus simulator, “Reeperbahn Simulator” (lol) etc. etc.

They were always considered shovelware for the casuals around here but apparently to at least some of them there is more to it then it seems…
Maybe you want to check some out?

And Papageno: Yes these exit lanes are often ambiguous IRL here, especially in cities it is often difficult to make the right lane choice if you are unfamiliar with the area. Drives me nuts.

I’ll say. Where is this Ausfahrt place anyway?

Dunno, but it must be the biggest town in Germany, there are signposts to it everywhere.

Sehr komisch!

Hey guys, this game has finally made me bite on a 360 controller, but I found two in Amazon, one for $30 and one for $43. Is there a difference? They look exactly the same but the more expensive one says “for Windows” and such. I’m kinda confused.

The “for Windows” one is just the 360 controller bundled with a software CD for the Windows drivers (which I’m pretty certain you can just download), so I’m thinking just go for the cheaper one.

EDIT: Actually it looks like the XP drivers are something you hunt down, but assuming you’re running 7 the driver installation should happen automatically when you plug the controller into a USB port.

Yeah, I’m on 7. K, ordering the $30 one. Yay! Thanks!

All heavy goods vehicles in Europe are speed-governed to 55 MPH. It’s illegal to drive a heavy truck faster than that in Europe, so that’s why your truck tops out at that speed.

This is what Jeremy Clarkson has to say about driving heavy goods vehicles:

Oh, OK. Thanks.

All heavy goods vehicles in Europe are speed-governed to 55 MPH. It’s illegal to drive a heavy truck faster than that in Europe, so that’s why your truck tops out at that speed.

There’s a mod that removes the limiter, but having used it I’m not sure it’s worth it (maybe it is with a wheel). It’s so easy to lose control at high speed that the time you save isn’t worth it.

Someone wanted a city car driving simulator?

I also started driving with the G27. It’s fun! OTOH, it helped me rediscover Gran Turismo 5 which is honestly boring with a controller but now almost addictive with a wheel. It also came with rFactor which i haven’t gotten around to installing yet.

How do you successfully back up in Euro Truck Simulator 2? What i mean is not how to back up, which is easy now that i have a wheel, but what do i need to do to get the game to “finish” the process and give me credit for backing up?

I’m not about to make a Youtube unboxing video but here’s a fellow a bit more excited than me about his new G27 for Euro Truck :)

How do you successfully back up in Euro Truck Simulator 2? What i mean is not how to back up, which is easy now that i have a wheel, but what do i need to do to get the game to “finish” the process and give me credit for backing up?

When you’re properly aligned in the parking space, there should be an onscreen prompt to disconnect the trailer (it’s ‘T’ for me, but you can rebind it).