Euro Truck Simulator 2: Slow Ride

Thanks for the helpful tips! I think the main thing is that I need to learn how the trailer moves around with respect to the cab. Oh and lots of practice.

I’ll probably continue to cheese things by using the external camera views though. :)

Thanks for the helpful tips! I think the main thing is that I need to learn how the trailer moves around with respect to the cab. Oh and lots of practice.

There are some very helpful tutorial videos on Youtube - I think they were linked earlier in the thread. It’s really not that tough once you get the (very counterintuitive) basic principles down. Provided you have the space to get relatively straight before backing in.

New DLC on Steam for ETS2: Going East!

“Going East! add-on expands the original Euro Truck Simulator 2 map with new destinations for cargo delivery across Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Hungary.
Key Features:
Over 20 hours of driving to explore all the new areas in the game world
13 new cities including Warsaw, Krakow, Ostrava, Budapest, Kosice and more
Many kilometers of challenging narrow roads, mountain passes, and roads under repair to test your driving skill”

Currently $12.99

They dropped the price of the main game too (now $25), it used to be $40.

Here is what the DLC’s expanded map looks like:

I have to honestly say that the least appealing thing for them to add as DLC would be more cookie-cutout cities.

Yeah, I have to agree. Well, other than more aesthetic stuff for the trucks. I’d like to see (and might be willing to pay for), larger, detailed city centres for some key hubs, or more work done on the existing countryside (though I can see how that’s a harder marketing pitch) to mix things up.

Improvements to traffic flow wouldn’t hurt either. Those interminably long red lights, followed by 3 seconds of green, are ridiculous.

From the previews I’ve read, the new terrain and landmarks are even better than the original. So there’s that…

Is this game steamworks? I bought the game directly from their website… I doubt the expansion will work with my copy.

EDIT: Ah, they have it for sale on their website as well.

Yeah, I saw that, but it still leaves the majority of the game with tiny, empty cities.

A lack of destinations isn’t a charge I’d level at the vanilla game.

To those having trouble with this aspect: The trick is to find one camera POV that works best for you, and then stick with it. Don’t keep switching your POV; it’ll only confuse you further. Once you master that POV, it really does become second nature after a while–then you can move on to other POV’s.

When I was a kid, I went to 4H Tractor Camp for a summer (that’s right, a camp where they teach you how to drive a tractor for farming, which includes backing up with a large piece of equipment in tow), and this was the one single thing I was flummoxed by. Until one kindly instructor told me his secret: Steer toward the direction of error to correct that error. In other words, if you look back and see your trailer is jackknifing to the right, steer toward the right to straighten it out.

Anyone who is still playing, or like me picked up the game in the recent Steam sale, should check out ther Promods Scandinavian mod

http://www.modsaholic.com/forums/index.php/files/file/265-promods-scandinavia-edition/

It adds Denmark, Sweden, Norway and part of Finland to the game and is compatible with, but does not require, the Going East DLC. It’s a really impressive piece of work and the graphics look better than the standard game, particularly the cities.

Its getting harder and harder to resist purchasing the game.

If only there was a massive Christmas sale coming up. What to do, what to do…

Holy crap Mike, that looks fantastic, totally gonna try it, thanks!

Razgon, don’t resist, it’s really fantastic.

It really is a great game. I haven’t been playing recently because I suspect strongly that I will be getting a USB wheel for the holidays. And if I don’t, I will gift myself with one shortly thereafter.

A word of caution to anyone jumping in now. One of the patches in the last few months (I believe just before September) includes an option to use the “World of Trucks” feature that will presumably tie in to the next game which is supposed to be set in the US. If you opt in and turn your profile into a World of Trucks character, it will basically lock that profile into an online-only setting that depends on their servers.

I mentioned it before, but this game is seriously one of the best Oculus Rift experiences I’ve had so far.

Driving a truck at night through the rain and thunder with some French pop station playing in the background is incredibly immersive.

Heh, this game is what finally convinced me to get a 360 gamepad, and it’ll likely be one of the main drivers (hurr) behind getting an Oculus Rift as well.

Are any ETS2 fans playing OMSI 2? I’m pretty tempted after being converted to the joys of mundane sims by ETS2, but from what I understand it’s a lot less polished than ETS2 and I’m not keen on throwing money around just before Christmas.

I bought it last night, and it’s pretty much impenetrable due to the fact that only the first tutorial is translated into English and all that tutorial covers is how to use the menus. The rest of the tutorials on how to actually operate the bus are all in German.

It is a hard core simulation, along the lines of Eagle Dynamics games like A10. There are hundreds of controls. I couldn’t even figure out how to start the bus.

That said, I really want to learn to play it, but at the moment I guess it’s impossible. The tutorial stub said they would eventually translate the rest of the them, but when, who knows.

EDIT: Ah, Steam put the manual up, and it’s in English. Looks like I’ll be learning it soon.