Euro Truck Simulator 2: Slow Ride

There’s also stuff like the weigh stations and how speeding is tied to the presence of police cars, which I can see adding to the sim feel.

The two games are running on the same engine now, does ETS2 not do the police car thing? I haven’t noticed either way.

And I do not like the weight stations. They’re always harshing my mellow.

I think, but I’m not sure, that ETS does, but the vast majority of speeding tickets in ETS come from traffic cameras and seemingly randomly in cities and on bridges. Whereas you’ll basically never get a ticket in ATS unless there’s a cop car nearby. Maybe a handful of the bridges.

That sounds cool. Does it have stations with licensed music and all?

Yes, it’s real radio. Through the internet!

I tried to find details on how the traffic violation systems differed in both games. Summary, as you’ve already described: “mostly traffic cams in Europe, cop cars in America”. Added details: you’ll supposedly be hit with any outstanding minor violations when you pull into a weigh station; I don’t recall experiencing this. No definition of “minor”.

I also discovered that there is a weigh station in Romania. In Turkey you may be assessed your fines at toll stations. It seems like Europe is complicated :)

That may be so. I don’t have the Black Sea expansion yet.

I recently got into this game. Oh my. I have been missing out!

This is my truck, there are many like it, but this one is mine. It’s all paid off too.
On a trip from Pskov, Russia to fucking Palermo. Yeah, that’s a long haul indeed!

Beautiful!

Ok so now that 1.4 is out of beta it also supports VR. You do this by selecting the VR codebranch like you would opt in on a beta. Also add the appropriate startup modifier. -openvr if you are on a G2.
Now boot up the game. Hey! My VR isn’t displaying! No, not until you click drive it isn’t.
But once you do, its nirvana. So good. I did about 2.5 hours of it this evening and loved every minute of it.

So that’s how the other half lives. ;-)

(envy envy envy envy)

Assume I’m An Old who gave up on trying to make games work long ago (good assumption) but who has a Rift2 and a steering wheel. How arduous is it to get going?

NM: Powered through, quite fun! Still need to dip into the deeper controls.

Also: How badly do we need a Smokey and the Bandit version of this? Answer: Quite badly.

Clarify. The game is pancake until you are actually driving, that is, in the menus and such? Previously you could get menus and so forth in VR by pressing F11. Is that no longer the case?

Haven’t tried. Mayhaps?

Seems to still be. Had to do the dance of Steam, headset, settings, do it all again but I got it going with a Thrustmaster wheel and pedals. If a near-50 can do it, it’s not that hard. Quite pleasant gameplay too. Dicked around with F11 and everything for probably 30 minutes before I figured it out.

Also, steam says that Iberia will be released next month.

Yup, F11 makes the menu screens work in VR. Huh. On the one hand, it would have been nice to know. The game did not advertize this capability at all. On the other hand, it’s neat to be at least able to do your admin stuff on a flat screen. I wouldn’t mind having that ability in DCS or Il-2 at all!

So, F12 to reset head position. Muy importante!
F11 to bring the pancake stuff to the headset.

Huh.

Renault’s new trucks will have their first public reveal in-game.

Neat! The Renault T has been my truck of choice for a while. I like the modern-looking dashboard layout. Not a big fan of its default engine options, but mods easily fix that.

Oh, that’s quite cool about the VR stuff. I’m going to check that out, thanks!

I’m really enjoying the 1.40 upgrade as well. The new lighting system is a quantum leap forward.

Taking a load of prosciutto to Salzburg…