Europa Universalis 4

So I like the new way exploring works. Used to be more manual, but the explore missions are a nice automation.

One thing I noted, and went for eventually, was the Magellan achievment. First circumnavigation. I tried a few times during my France run, I’ve been colonizing so thought it might be doable, but my first two attempts ended in failure. Some strategic choices, namely taking La Plata from Portugal, prepping Vijaynagar for fleet basing, and conquering parts of east Africa put me close. Having a few completed colonies across the Indian Ocean, and south Pacific I thought would help, but mostly didn’t. But I built up, explored most of Indonesia and Australia, and had two groups of light ships ready. Starting at the Falkland Islands with 4 light ships, with reinforcements ready at Reunion Island, I sent it.

It was really exciting. Doubly so when Spain dragged me into a war in Mexico right after I started. Fortunately my ships managed to avoid a fight. Aside from that it has been neat how they work. The attrition free travel for normal explore missions, the events, the explore the sea first, then the shore, it all works for me. Also enjoyed the Quest for the Seven Cities, though Sacajewea happened roughly 5 times for me.

The other thing is institutions. I’ve been in a full blown Colonial race. The Antilles are mine, fully. Louisiana safe, as is Columbia. Brazil is a fight between me and Scotland. Portugal keeps trying to establish south America, I keep claiming the region. Thanks for the free land in La Plata! All this has led to an interesting Institution race.

So it’s 1612, and Global Trade has not happened. That’s because it can’t. The English Channel is, and has been, the most profitable trade node. I have highest trade value there. I have no Center of Trade there. Not until I finish annexing England (who only has London there, otherwise they are, basically, Columbia) which I will do in 1621. So right now I am manipulating trade to prevent it from spawining. Why? Because I can. Because I think it would be hilarious to basically cram two in a shorter time frame, really try and push Russia and Ottomans back into technological irrelevancy. By delaying, I can force make the cost prohibitive, and try and get an edge for 50 years. I can afford the price, my income is 40 ducats a month, even accounting for level 3,2,3 advisors.

It’s a bit odd, though. I wondered what would happen when the timer came up, and no node met the criteria. Turns out it is nothing, nothing happens. I could easily make it spawn any time, just reroute things a bit so Genoa is most valuable. Problem is Spain controls it, and my penalty for non home node means even my 60 ship trade fleet there can’t quite get me there.

But every new colony is bumping their value. 10 years ago they were 32 and 29 respectively. Now? 48 and 42. Normally trade is set and forget, but this has been exciting. Especially since I can’t just go to war to ensure I maintain the lead, they’re an ally I’d rather not shed.

So there’s two exciting new things I’ve never dabbled with, due to being 1.09. Which is doubly nice since I’m still burning down AE, and am excommunicated. Stupid pope, drop to negative for one month and immediate excommunication from the Commonwealth curia controller. And my ruler was only about 25…

But these have been some of the more interesting non war things I’ve ever engaged with in EU IV. I approve.

I also approve of the shifting in buildings. The slots based on development, the tiers, and the fact they no longer required admin points (well, not directly. The slots do) make it so much better. Used to be I just ignored buildings, espeically late game. Now I actually pay attention to them more than ever.