Europa Universalis 4

Has anyone purchased the new expansion pack yet? It seems a bit pricey. I have purchased other DLC packs from Paradox at full price but with Civ IV coming out in a week and a half I am not sure I want to spend £20 on a new expansion for EUIV.

I’ve purchased it, yes, but I won’t have a chance to dive in until the weekend, most likely (or if things don’t work out this week, maybe next weekend… woe is me).

$20 is the upper tier of their expansions, but IMO the amount of content and significant overhauls more than merits it. On paper, this to me is the most substantive update since Art of War, which was similarly priced at $20.

EDIT: With that being said, if you’re on the fence there’s certainly no harm in waiting. As usual, a bunch of really nice stuff comes free to owners regardless. While I haven’t been following the forums, I’d imagine that an update this large will include it’s share of bugs or balance issues that get hotfixed over the next few days as well.

AFAIK there is a bug regarding calling allies to war when you don’t have the Cossacks expansion enabled that they are fixing asap, other than that haven’t heard of any game-breaking bugs. I can’t even find rage threads in the official forums!l

The new patch features are really nice. Institutions are such a cool system, and gives the tech race more complexity which is nice. Apparently there are some balance issues regarding East Asia tech vs. South East Asia tech (with the latter one teching faster due to one or more of the institution spread behaviour), I have only played it in Europe. The new culture system is good too but this has far less of an effect on your game than the new institutions system.

I’m getting back into the game playing as Hungary. At the moment I started off a religious war in the HRE as the leader of the Protestant League. I was able to call France as an ally but he never actually joined the war, and I can’t call him to arms now, so I am not sure if there’s a bug going on. I don’t think the Protestants can beat the Catholics without her :(

They have released the hot fix according to their Twitter account.

Hey guys, does anyone have recommendations for @jpinard on a good source to learn the ropes for EU4? He inquired about one in the Civilization thread, but I’m really out of the loop!

Man I could point to some old videos, but nothing post Art of War comes to mind.

One thing we could do… arrange a voice chat session where you or I hop on with him and walk him through the ropes. Not sure when I could do it, but I’d certainly be willing to give a go if we found a time.

Quill18 is how I learned to play. Earlier this year he made a base game series with no expansions that is really good. Of course the last 2 patches already outdate it, but it’s still very helpful.

Link to first video of series.

I mean… Ok. Let’s start here:

That is a video series by Arumba with a bunch of short topics on each area of the game.

Problem is that is a vid for 1.0. So much of it no longer holds true. But there are lots of things that do, especially the basics.

But that tech change, man. That’s a tough one. Granted it isn’t the kind of thing a new player in Western Europe would notice, but it has an impact.

This one by Quil is a little more recent, Common Sense I think.

@jpinard all I can really do is say… try? I’m more than happy to answer any and all questions I can. I’d even be willing to be the little bird on your shoulder, but I can’t point out one video series for the most recent version.

However, for starting off, most of the changes are the kind of thing that aren’t all that important for you.

That Quill18 is the same one I posted. It doesn’t have any of the expansions, just the free patches. The patches have changed things since the series, but not enough you can’t figure it out. I can’t recommend it enough.

HA! Didn’t even notice you snuck that in while I was writing mine. Well played.

Yeah but you did the proper Youtube link which I have no idea how to do.

Copy the URL directly into the post box, the software does the rest.

Don’t even need a special embed URL, just off the browser bar. Wumpus did it right.

So the dev team ‘unintentionally’ changed AE values in the latest patch and it’s going to be hotfixed hopefully soon. Playing as Hungary and then Switzerland I noticed that you only needed to take a few provinces before half of the continent joined a coalition against you. I was wondering if this was changed awhile ago, since I haven’t played much in a year, and that I just had to expand much slower than I used to, but based on the forum threads this isn’t the case.

So keep that in mind if you jump in a game today.

EDIT: This was just hotfixed and is much better now.

Has anyone here tried a WC before? Was it fun?

After 425 hours under my belt I am thinking of giving it a go. It seems the two popular options at this point are the Ottomans and Austria. Austria sounds too complicated so i’ll probably give the Ottomans a go.

The problem with WC is that a number of the changes made it harder, particularly changes to Aggressive Expansion. So before you try it, I’d poke around the forums to see what patch version makes it possible, because there are times it is not.

However, having played a very agressive Ottoman campaign, it takes a very long time. Right now I am finishing a game I’ve been playing for a year and a half almost (I get very few gaming hours per week, so this takes time). Ottomans control the entire Med, to the horn of Africa, Arabian peninsula, half of India, all of former Muscovy. 1740 and I’m going to be pressing to get the ‘control India as European country’ achievement. Problem was Hindustan formed and basically controlled entire subcontinent.

Doing that took a long time. WC is firmly out of possible. In fact with the HRE and coalitions I basically stopped at the Alps, and conquered into France because all those HRE minors were a pain. So trying to think of what a proper WC run would be is just tiring I would think.

If you were to try, I’d go back to at least 1.3, before the new province maps were added. With the increased province density it would take too long these days I think.

What is WC?

World Conquest. Something that has gotten progressively harder over time, and I am no longer sure is achievable with out a bunch of exploits.

Also, arguably, one of the least fun ways to play as it is a never ending grind, with lots of rebellions as well.

This is going to sound really dumb but are you as saying large landmass conquest isn’t fun or achievable either? If not, I’m confused as to what goals I should be setting for myself.

As an inexperienced player, my goal is to survive and maybe take over my neighbors. Not that I have played a lot, but I certainly don’t worry about taking large tracts of land. My problem is I always end up pissing off someone big at some point who makes my game miserable. Like playing as Castile/Spain in my last game, I got into it with the African Muslim nations and their alliance was much bigger than mine. It was fun trying, but eventually they were all over my territory and I eventually just quit.

All there YouTubers I have watched though, they are all about “paint the map” and seem to enjoy it. But they have played for thousands of hours as well.

I really do need to make another go of it…

If you want to set goals, there are a literal butt-load of achievements that can give you some good ideas, or things to shoot for.

As for World Conquest, I haven’t seen any of my youtubers try it recently, but in all the WC plays I’ve seen, there comes a certain point where you’re pretty much assured of winning, and it just snowballs from there. That’s typically the point where people lose interest, because if just the tidying up remains, the game can seem a lot less fun.