Europa Universalis 4

Oh god, the Muscovite blob just got massive boosts. Those powers make me think they overtake the Ottomans for WC potential.

Raise Streltsy sounds terrifying.

Reduce war exhaustion by 2, give you 20% of your forcelimits (which is already high for Russia), no gold or manpower cost to recruit, and +10% fire? (admittedly not much until about 1700)

That needs to increase stability cost by at least double the percentage of your forcelimit they compose. If they are 50% of your forcelimit? Double stability cost.

This is so topical. I’m working my way through a WC game with Muscovy right now!

I haven’t attempted a WC in awhile (only ever done it with Ottoman/Muscovy), but are Ming the new easiest faction to do it with now? Seems like on reddit half the posts are just how invincible Ming is now.

I’m definitely in favour of new DLC for EU4 just adding chrome to particular countries and not bolting more systems into the game. Although that said, I am playing the 2.0 release of MEIOU and Taxes which expands all of the vanilla systems in the game and I’m having a blast.

What does MEIOU stand for?

I feel like once you have created an acronym so long and obscure maybe it should just be a new word. In all fairness, I don’t know wtf it stands for either, but I’m in that demographic that still has less than a thousand hours in EUIV which basically makes me a grand strategy nublet.

Mihi Est Imperare Orbi Universo.

The name of the mod is borrowed from the Habsburg motto: Austriae Est Imperare Orbi Universo (AEIOU), meaning “It is to Austria to command the entire world”. It felt appropriate for the player to state that “It is to me to command the entire world”.

Just wanted to pop in and say I started a new game as France and, once again, I’m having a great time with EU4. I’m still wrapping my head around ages and the bonuses they provide… ok, to be honest, I’m still wrapping my head around older mechanics like institutions and states… and I’m still not 100% convinced I know what I’m doing with trade. BUT I do know that was able to kick England back to their island, that Burgundy owns provinces I want, and that I just had the best war ever with my little vassal buddies which gave me some of that sweet Burgundian territory. Now that the wars have ended and my manpower is recovering, I’m just about to unlock Quest for the New World and start exploiting… err, helping some of those new lands to the west.

I’ve probably said this before, but this is one of my most-played games and I think it’s awesome I’m still playing it regularly five years after release.

Looks like I violated the Treaty of Tordesillas and it’s caused me huge trouble in my France game. My bestest buddy Spain hates me and will DoW me as soon as our treaty is over. The Pope excommunicated me so now I’m waiting for everyone to gang up on me. Is there a way to make everyone love me again? Can I give Spain my colonies in North America to fix the relations or is the damage already done?

Well how bad is it? Perhaps a screenshot of your relationship values, or a map of your Aggressive Expansion levels. There is a lot you can do, but depending on the level there may be better things to do.

But parking a diplomat there doing Improve Relations, perhaps greasing the skids a bit with cold hard cash, hiring the adviser that gives a bonus to the AE decay, and possibly offering land (though depending on their hatred this may be impossible) can all help.

Conversely going the full other direction could work. Just juggle the hatred. DoW Spain first before other timers run out. Basically keep peace treaties on a rolling basis so that they can never concentrate all their strength together for a big coalition war.

The numbers are a bit fuzzy, but generally if you can get to positive relationships again you will be fine. Just butter them up.

Or convert to Protestant, then that dang treaty doesn’t apply to you!

I just had one of my colonies—New England, where you’d expect it to be—announce that my newly conquered province of Kilwa—East Africa, where you’d expect it to be—is theirs by right.

“I’m sorry, what?” I said, and now I’m apparently a “Tyrant Overlord.” Get over yourself, and quit pestering the Iroquois.

And my South Atlantic Fleet still doesn’t have the sense to dock for supplies when it’s on patrol.

I haven’t been posting details on the latest expansion because Discourse makes me feel bad, but Cradle of Civilization is out today. It’s focus is on the Middle East and provides a lot of unique mechanics and flavor to the countries of the area, as well as additions to Islam. It also adds the concept of Army Professionalism that differentiates between nations with standing armies vs those that rely more on mercenary forces. For the Ottomans, Janissaries are now a unique type of regiment, as opposed to a decision you take that gives you a bonus to all infantry forces.

Needless to say I’ve already bought it, because EU4.

Holy crap, I had no idea the next expansion had even been announced! I know what I’m doing Saturday afternoon!

The free patch looks great too… new trade goods, more provinces, changes for Islam outside of the expansion, and so on. I think it’s time to start a new playthrough!

I love some of the small things, like the background you get when you start a game now:

The different tabs provide some useful information as well:

Nice, next week off…bonus!

Yikes. The Black Sheep are no joke anymore, at least for my poor Ajam. I’ve learned not to switch to Shiite at the start, despite basically every province being that religion. Oof.