Europa Universalis 4

I’ve only played Netherlands once and I reached a point where it stopped being fun. I think it was a combination of trying to go tall, but also spreading my influence around the globe and monitoring different areas of the map. I’ll give it another go, but that one time is probably the best example of a nation I didn’t enjoy playing because I came close to the end, but couldn’t see it through.

Second example was my multiple attempts at the Cherokee achievement. Basically just setting game speed up to fast and feeling as though I was waiting for something to happen. I need to read more into the New World nations (and play Aztec or Inca first) but the North American nations were not exciting.

With England, you don’t just have to colonise :) Looking at the end screenshot for the game I played as them, I had completely conquered France. I seem to recall and note also owning North American colonies given the fact I had highest trade income so a lot would have been steered from North America back to the English node. Similarly, that’s something I suggest with Castile is to destroy Portugal early on and capitalise on that new ground.

Oh yeah, totally agree, there are alot of things you can do as England and early game beating up Scotland and Ireland and France is fun as well. I guess my point was not that England is a boring country, just that playing Castile has all of the good features of an England playthrough just better.

I can never get a good game going as a HRE minor.

My favourite game was Jianzhou - Manchu - Qing (this was an old pre-MoH game though, so I’m tempted to run it again).

I played a game as Kutai in that area. It was great, I unified Borneo then colonised Australia and ended up with several Siberian colonies. Awesome game :)

For me it was Iroquois for a long time, but became hard to compete with the new tech malus(institutions). My all time starts is with the Kongo trying to get the all Africa achievement, this is really hard now (again, tech malus/institutions).
I have nearly 2k hours into this game, and Civ games used to take this time slice. No more as the AI in VI is no where near this AI.

So I am about halfway through an Ottoman run and trying to decide were to go next. I will most likely nip at Poland and Africa now as I have bumped into Ming east of India. Does the manpower summary for Ming include tributaries? I have about 100 more force than Ming alone, but wasn’t sure if I would still get mobbed.

I did also turn my attention back to Western Europe. If I decide to go after Spain and Portugal, will thier colonists hop on ships to fight? Or do they stay on their continent?

No, but they’re not vassals, they only get in a war alongside Ming if they’re allies.

If their liberty desire is lower than 50%, they might eventually get around to it. The navy is much for likely to be an issue, but I can’t see their army being relevant after wiping the one in the motherland, not as the Ottomans.

Colonial Nations tend to stick to the New World. I’m pretty sure they’re coded this way specifically. You likely won’t have to deal with them unless you’re in the Americas trying to poach colonies.

Thanks. Seems Albania grew while I was focused on India and they are only allied with Spain. So should be able to use that to get a hop into Naples as I am guessing Spain annexed them after the Iberian wedding.

AE will be your only stopping point as the Ottomans.

The next update is going to be a second Immersion Pack. Immersion Packs are half-priced as a regular expansion and focus on a particular area, in this case it will be focused on the English Channel region. Ireland, Scotland, England, northern France, and Burgundy/Lowlands are getting a lot of map changes. Ireland in particular sounds like it’s getting a lot more interesting.

Didn’t Ireland have 4 provinces on 1.0? Nice change.

If I remember correctly, yep! It got a few more in a later patch, but it’s being greatly expanded now. Pretty nice!

I guess this means I better finish my England game before the patch changes the map and makes my save file unusable…

You probably already know this (and if so, disregard), but you can configure EU4 via Steam to play on a particular patch level. That way you can finish your game, if you’re not able to do so before the update rolls out.

Nice, I’ve been meaning to do another British Isles run ever since they introduced Parliament. Now looks like the time.

For example: I’m still on 1.09 so I can finish my fracking Ottomans game.

Not playing games at all for the back half of 2017 sucked. But I’m closing in, and it’s a race to see if I can claim the rest of Japan and India in 40 years. Japan? One maybe two wars ends it, India… I may have to abuse truce breaking and chains due to the ungodly stupid coalition I’ve got.

You know you’ve got it made when the coalition is France, Spain, Portugal, Austria, Hungary, Milan, Poland, Lithuania, whatever other minor German states I have deigned to allow to live, Mughals, Hindustan, and you get the idea.

Man, Craig, I remember that 1.09 Ottoman run! I can’t believe it’s been that long… it seems like you were posting about it last year, but 1.09 was released in Dec 2014! Time flies.

If time/life permits and you end up firing up a new campaign at some point, I’d be really interested in your take on the current state of the game… 7 major expansions and 1 Russia-themed immersion pack later. :)

I thought you would appreciate this, but apparently I am the devil incarnate in Vienna

-500 from AE? That is hilarious. You are a bad, bad, man.