Europa Universalis 4

I had been holding off on moving to Lubeck for 2 reasons (both of which may be bad)

1. I wanted to save the diplo points from moving the main port twice

2. I have better control of the nodes leading to the Baltic, so I figured that I could steer more value to the Baltic, rather than dealing with all the other nations in mainland Europe

Thanks! Planning on starting up a new game once the Manchu patch is out and I’ll be playing around with my trade setup way more than in the past.

I have 3755 hours :(

I knew my 500 hours would be the lowest here… Even guys with kids have more! What a n00b I am.

I only have 300!

I have 80 (one game, in other words) and fully intend to get back to it. I like the game, but struggle to find the time for it. I spent about 400 on EU2 back in my college days. Then again I just don’t play games like that - the only game I can recall having played into the thousands of hours was Morrowind long, long ago, and that was mostly about the mods. I guess I’m fickle by the standards of Paradox players.

I think CraigM already provided a lot of sensible information, but the beauty of EU4 is that most questions can be answered by “it depends” ;-)

In this case, the value of the boost in trade power bonus by purely collecting on the home node should be compared to the trade collection values on each separate node of you collect in multiple nodes- and the answer will be different for different countries in different eras .

For example, even a 10% trade power collection in a node like Seville or English channel in the end game can be valuable enough to forego your home bonus.
But maybe not in 1500.

On a side note: one good rule of thumb that does apply across different situations, is to aim for a maximum of ~75% of trade power in a node.
After that the added utility of adding trade ships drops rapidly- and they can usually be used more profitably elsewhere (even in pirating your enemies nodes!).

Coming up on the great 1444 myself and hope I am no longer considered a newb after that.

Ya’ll were right - I moved my trade hub to Lubeck and doubled my trade revenue. On to English Channel!

1484 but I probably haven’t launched it in a full year.

How do ya’ll cope w the late game boredom. By 1700 I’m so huge that there is basically nothing to do but declare war and paint the map. I almost always lose interest at this point and restart somewhere else.

This is why I wish they had made Stellaris a grand strategy, not a 4x. They had a chance to create whatever Galaxy they wanted, with distinct and interesting nation’s and events… And they could have added all kinds of things to disrupt the late game.

If I don’t have an achievement or some other goal I’m shooting for I usually just end my game once I’m bored. There are plenty of other countries to play!

Same. If the enemies aren’t a threat, use the clock for something ridiculous.

Like take over all of India in 100 years.

In all the hours I’ve played EU4 (many, many) I’ve only ever finished two games. Once I’ve achieved whatever goal I’ve set for myself I just start a new game.

Same here. It’s a game, it’s entertainment. As soon as a current run gets boring/not challenging, it’s off to a new game. In 1400 hours I’ve never finished a game, which is common for me in 4X or grand strategy games alike.

I just do achievements. I’ve never let the game go to 1821, and never done a WC. I just finished Africa Power a couple of days ago.

Nice!!

Thanks. I started a game of Stellaris yesterday (small galaxy), but it still seems to be too slowly paced or runs to slow, not sure which, now with 2.x. I felt like i was doing a lot of nothing, just watching the days tick by.

It is a shame since I have about 1500 hours in this one, but mainly on 1.x.

Maybe this is what is preventing me from starting another game. I tend to finish pretty much every 4X type game because I guess I need closure. If I focused on just getting EU IV achievements as my mission, maybe I could call it done and start a new game with a new achievement.

Yeah, achievements do nothing for me… For me it is the rush of expansion, and in EU4s case, the alternative history that drive me