Europa Universalis 4

EU4 has a real legibility problem at 1440p, but the Better UI 2 and Better UI 2 - Veranda Font mods on the Steam workshop are helping. There’s a gui_scale option in settings.txt that doesn’t filter and looks extremely rough (I used it at 1.5x in CK2 with a font mod, but it didn’t mangle the text so much there). 1080p fullscreen looks ok but the game will switch video modes like 4 times (yikes!) when returning to the main menu or alt-tabbing. I’ll probably stick with borderless 1440p + mods for now. The “Europe update” coming this year with a DLC launch is supposed to have proper interface scaling suitable for 4k.

Hmm… I don’t see any problems at 1440 on my monitor, what size monitor do you have?

I’ve played almost entirely on 1440p, only getting an ultrawide monitor last year. Haven’t had any issues with either, myself.

It’s a 16:9 27" IPS. I sit about 3 feet away, and frequently have eye strain, so the difference between a faint smudgy font and a clear crisp one is huge in a game like this.

Font legibility varies by eyesight of the player and size of the monitor, yes.
As to the DLC, it’s hard to remember will all the years of changes, but if you don’t think you’re going to spend dozens of hours, you’re probably fine with the base tier.

Well like KevinC, I recently upgraded from 1 27" 1080p monitor to 2 curved 31.5" 1440p monitors. I sit an arms length away. I do find that text in some games requires a lean in.

The Verdana font improved legibility on my 1080p monitor (TV) tremendously.

I am using a 3440 x 1440 resolution and have tried a number of mod combinations. The best that I found is Borderless Window with the following mods:

Bigger UI - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=788906833
Bigger Production UI - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=782012869
Better Font Mod - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=173103497

Thanks. Only RoM and CS are not in the $1 pack, but I should probably just save the cup of coffee on monday, heh and get the middle pack, then.

Out of curiosity, what is the benefit of borderless window?

(I use the betterUI plus Verdana Mods for my 1440p screen).

Easier switching between apps–no video mode changing as you would get with full-screen. Slightly less performance than dedicated full-screen.

EU4 has a bug that in full screen the max FPS is locked at 60. In borderless it is not. I like the higher fps. Makes it feel faster / smoother.

Does it apply without V-Sync?

As long as you set your desktop refresh to your max (assuming your monitor is capable of over 60 refresh like 120, 144 or 165) it will be faster than the fixed-at-60 bug in fullscreen.

You definitely have a point. The expulsion of the Moriscos is one of those bits of history that no gamer has any reason to repeat, voluntarily. So to give them a reason, and an interesting trade-off, we get this mechanic. I agree, the thematicness is skin deep.

Finished up my TW2 campaign. Thinking about starting this one up… maybe Sweden, that’s where they’re from, right? I seem to recall them adding extra bits of flavor to Sweden on their other games.

Sweden does get decent attention, outsized from their history. They are also slightly OP.

But they wanted to make sure to be able to replicate Gustavus Adolphus, so Swedish troops are second only to Brandenburg.

So I started this up, went through the tutorials, and jumped in as Sweden.

I have no idea what to do.

I hired an adviser because the pop-up was there, but I think that was a mistake as I couldn’t really afford it. I built a couple light ships to try to make more trade money. I played around with trade, but nothing seemed to actually make a difference in my final net income–the light ships said they were increasing my trade power in Lubeck, with a net gain of 0.5 per month or something, but that didn’t seem to actually change my income. Same for when I moved my merchants around.

I didn’t have enough action points (or whatever they’re called) to get any ideas or techs, so I spent them increasing the tax and production of my provinces. (Including that one copper province that rather ludicrously has 5x the trade value of anything else on the map, unless I was reading the map wrong.) What should I do with them?

I had three diplomats that I sent to improve relations with my neighbors. Ok then.

My goal was to become independent from Denmark, but I couldn’t really see a way to do that as I didn’t have any money. I declared war anyway, but was swiftly crushed by Denmark + Norway combined. I went ahead and did it again and again (breaking truces), and was quickly reduced to three provinces in Finland. Scotland declared war on my, for being dishonest and uppity, I guess, and somehow when I surrendered to Denmark the last time, Denmark ended up assuming the war against Scotland (and the rest of the world, by that point). I really don’t know how that happened, but when they lost, one of the conditions was that Sweden become independent, so hey! Mission accomplished! (For those 3 provinces, anyway.)

So that was fun. I’ll try again.

Welcome to EU IV!

So a few things, trade has a lot going on. Let me dig up my old posts where I lay out a lot of details.

Thanks! Though at this point I’d prefer to figure out what I should be doing in broad strokes (what is generally the most effective way to spend points and ducats, what avenues are available or practical for increasing my power/money/army, etc) than the nitty-gritty of e.g. trade interactions.