Ever get an urge to finally play a game that came out a long time ago?

I was a populous fiend back in the day (Populous 1, not 2) but in retrospect an awful lot of the gameplay consisted of flattening land so villagers could build houses. It is perhaps the world’s greatest landscaping sim.

I started playing it just yesterday and am about to uninstall it I find it so annoying. So…your mileage may vary.

Populous is lots of fun, but yes, as Gordon Cameron says, the biggest issue is the constant land management.

Since giving up trying to keep up with PC hardware 2 years ago I too have found solace in old games. SC2, HOMM2, MOO1, and MOM most of the time with a smattering of roguelikes.

I’d be interested in some Alpha Centauri ( specifically with Alien Crossfire ) but haven’t been able to find a copy for cheap and it’s a bitch to find.

I do this constantly on my PC and my consoles. I’m still playing through my PS2 library and I’ll be doing so for years. On the PC, Gametap is just evil. There’s so much great gaming there I really have no reason to purchase games at all.

I really enjoyed the old westwood bladerunner game back in the day. They totally got the feel of the movie. One of the best adventure games ever, IMO.

I just got the urge to break out Star Chamber again the other day for some reason. Fun game, but I’m too intimidated by the people who have never stopped playing to actually take it online.

I’ve been picking away at Psychonauts since launch. Made it to Meat Circus about a month ago…I think I’m on track to actually finishing it!

To prep for Metroid Prime 3, this summer I revisited MP1 again. It gets a strange amount of hate, but even 5 years later I think it still holds up as one of the most endearing and accomplished games of this past generation. Even more shocking because it’s latest progeny is not-so-much-with-the-good… :(

I just started nibbling at my backlog the other day and between World in Conflict binges I fired up Serious Sam 2. It just doesn’t feel the same anymore.

I play Imperialism II every few months, it’s a classic

Unopened/unplayed on my shelf include such moldy oldies as:

Wizardry 8
Might and Magic VIII & IX (I stopped playing at 7, but didn’t stop buying)
Homeworld I & II
Warrior Kings
Lionheart
Age of Mythology expansion
Empire of the Fading Suns

and from out of the depths of time:
Railroads! (the original)
Merchant Prince (to be fair, I just picked that up at GenCon for $1 this summer)
Stonekeep
Spirit of Excalibur and Vengence of Exclaibur (yes, for the PC)

Newb.

After seeing the mega man collection being played at eb a few days ago, I’m about to replay the original mega man games on my copy of the collection.

Play the first. Some people love it. I like it. Try it.

Not much reason to play the second. 6 and 7 are classics, though.

Homeworld has great atmosphere.

Never played Warrior Kings

Burn Lionheart. Right now. You’ll thank me for it.

Never played the other two, but a lot of people like them. I should try both, myself.

So is X3 worth anything? $10 on Steam right now seems like a no-brainer. PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS URGENT QUERY BEFORE THE STEAM SALE ENDS OK THXBYE. Bonus points for other Steam-sale-recommendations.

I am going through an oldies-buying binge. I can’t deal with a Gametap subscription since I veer between New Hotness mode (MUST BUY NEW AAA $60 GAME NOW NOW NOW) and Bargain Bin mode (just got Battles of Prince of Persia for DS for $10 at Fry’s), plus I HATE having to return things, I would rather just backlog them for years.

When the games hit $10 is when I start losing all control over which oldies I buy.

Though if Marvel Ultimate Alliance hits $20 I will likely spring for it at that time. Same with R6: Vegas, HoMM 5, Supreme Commander (unless I upgrade my PC in which case I’ll splurge at that time), and various other AAA (or at least A) titles that missed the cut the first time round.

Review from my blog:

X3: REUNION (2005). Entrepreneurial-focused space-sim. Egosoft continues on its merry way with the 3rd iteration of its easy to look at, glacially-paced space sandboxes. X3’s main plot is nebulous, optional, and easily dismissed. The meat of the game revolves around trading and building in a free-form universe, where combat takes a back seat. The economy and AI are sensibly set up so that it provides places in which the player can eventually take on a significant role. The key word is “eventually” – until a player can lock down a consistent scheme for income, X3 is a brutal, endless grind of low-level trading and exploring. Developed by Egosoft. Published by Deep Silver. $15. **1/2

I found myself loading back up and dumping a bunch of hours into gladius, and wondering/wishing about a sequel some day. I also loaded up Sacrifice a few weeks ago after remembering how I could never run it at full graphics all those years ago.

Otherwise there is an infrequent urge for starcontrol 2 or some master of magic/moo series.

I get those urges all the time. I have about five new games, games that I own and have paid money for, sitting around my apartment waiting for me to play them. What am I completely absorbed with? Final Fantasy Tactics. It’s not like I pick SHORT games to get addicted to, either.

I’m kind of tempted to start an X-Box Originals thread, but hell, necromancy sticks out less.

Has anyone else actually paid for any of these? Looking at the games has gotten me interested in some of them, but I have Crimson Skies and still play it now and again. I was considering Fable, but saw that it was the original Fable, not the rerelease with the bonus materials. So I just went down and gt that at Gamestop for $8 instead. My girlfriend really wanted me to get Psychonauts after she saw Yahtzee’s review of it, but finding Psychonauts in the store is pretty much impossible, so I did finally give in and get it. It works great. Takes up a lot of space on a 20 gig hard drive, though.

Now it’s taking all my willpower not to DL Indigo Prophecy. It too is very hard to find in stores, and while I’d probably be better off just buying the ‘director’s cut’ (aka Fahrenheit) from Direct2Drive, I’d actually be paying that way rather than using Microsoft Shamebucks. Is it worth fifteen bucks?

Yep.

And I didn’t get to start gaming in a serious way until the late 90s due to my mom having bought a Mac as our home computer and not having owned a console at all until I had my own income and picked up a PSX on the cheap (post PS2 release). So I find myself compelled to try old games all the damn time. Usually then I go back to the latest hotness…it’s not that I have a low tolerance for old, I just am fickle like that. And I want to be able to talk about things people are playing now, not come in all excited about something people vaguely recall having liked five years ago. Or ten. Or fifteen. Or…

I just started to replay sid meier’s pirates! (newer version not original), once I get a game complete that unlocks all the settings I’m planning to play thru each time period on the hardest setting.