Evergreen container transport stuck on the suez canal blocking 12% of all world commerce

The size of the bulbous bow will vary. The main consideration is the typical cruising speed of the ship. Any ship cutting through the water creates a pressure wave against its hull. In straight bows, this would create a lot of drag. The idea of the bulbous bow is that it creates a cancelling wave that reduces drag considerably.

This is a good YouTube channel for ships and navigation

Cape Horn is in Chile. That’s the Cape of Good Hope.

Anyway, going to be a lot more containers in the ocean with these ships making the cape route.

Aside from dramatically cutting the sailing time from Asia to Europe, the Suez also allows a lot of big ships to bypass the eastern horn of Africa. There’s a weird phenomena that happens in certain parts of the world where ship disappearances spike dramatically. It’s believed that’s caused by rogue waves, which are formed in those regions.

The relevant section is around 11 minutes in.

If the ship has a wave motion gun right above it’s bulbous bow, like the Yamato, maybe they can fire it at low power to push themselves free.

They’ll want a full orchestra on the deck playing this, at the time, of course:

Anyone have info on just how badly this will screw up the world economy? Perhaps an article?

10 to 15 days of added travel time and associated costs to detour via the Cape of Good Hope. Those running just-in-time inventory must be choggling their pants.

Thanks.

And you don’t choggle your own pants. The other person does. Please don’t ask.

It’s pretty bad for Europe and people who trade with Europe by most accounts, though the damage is unknown at this point.

If you ship something perishable to Europe from India or the like, you’re probably fucked.

I hope the “12% of the world economy” number is the whole year. Don’t really know.

Yup, the first thing I think of when I see a bow like that is Starblazers.

Oil immediately shot up, and it don’t matter if your oil comes from Canada or the Middle East. The oil companies take any reason to blow up the price.

CEOs have other people do things for them so I guess it works out?

Naive summer child. :)

There are cascade effects of this. If there isn’t already as things remain jammed up there will be a shortage of empty contains since so many containers are stuck on boats. Once the blockage clears and all these boats start moving again, ports that are now partly idle will be overwhelmed and ships will be sitting idle again waiting in line for unloading.

Someone played Just Cause 4!
ExQDTCzWQAo-cVX

Also possible:

Sorta like that time a kid got a micro machine stuck in his nose.

Rumor has it the US Navy will be sending a tug boat to assist.

If you were looking to get a Kallax or Billy book shelf to store your board games, you might want to get down to Ikea pronto. They’ve got a lot stuff aboard the Evergreen. Also predicted, a run on toilet paper. Just like old times.

This is exactly the reason why I have over 200 rolls stored in the house. :)