Everquest 18th Anniversary

Aww… found ‘an’ old account (doubt it is the actual original one though) but no characters survived. It isn’t like I had anything from way back then worth keeping!

You can use that to make a new heroic 85! Fun! At one point I was 3 boxing on test a lot, and ended up with a metric ton of different accounts, because I had full ones and kept wanting to try different combos. I now have about 10 different heroic characters and an army of buff bots and porters lol.

This thread inspired me to recover my old account and re-install EQII. My old character was still there.

The first thing I noticed is that I no longer have a mount, which I assume was forfeit in the transition to F2P. I may goof around in it a bit. It seems to have the same “free heroic character” feature as has been discussed for EQ, and it’s a similarly huge world. I recall it being a pretty solid game, way back when. 10 years later, maybe it’s better?

I need to reinstall EQ2. I did like that game.

Tooling around on a couple different heroic 3 boxes is pretty fun :P

I rolled a bard and made him heroic. Was after a class that allowed me to play old content and able to get into locked areas after they fixed the illusion bug that allowed you to get past the locked doors in the January 2017 patch.Quite why they fixed an 18 year old bug and effectively locked off a load of old, unused content I don’t know. These were the emptiest of empty zones, and I was always the only person playing in them.

The bard is ok, fast travel and track are my two “must haves” and Im intrigued by the utility, charm and crowd control stuff, but he’s missing the kill power and high damage AEs my ranger main has. Perhaps twisting is a bit too intensive for casual play too. Not sure I’m hooked on it yet, I think I can delete him and reroll a new heroic class multiple times until the 31st (or perhaps longer, the FAQ is a bit vague) so I could check out all the classes at 85.

Im on Erosili Marr in a near dead guild, Ive only seen 6 different people logon in 3 years and when I make my forays back into EQ im often the sole player for weeks on end, but if any soloers wants a guild for the portal and the occasional chat DM me.

Is it a classic Innoruuk guild? All the most populated guilds from my day have mostly evaporated, except for Silent Resurgence, who still seem to be chugging along, with a few familiar faces still hanging from back before it even formed.

But when I log in I never see anyone but mules or something in most of these, if there’s anyone on at all. Back in the early years most of the people in my cirles were from Legions of Darkness, Ashen Vendetta, Dead of Winter, Clan Impact, Ancient Truth, Glyphed Ring Gang, X’ile, Amici, Daughters of Innoruuk, The Defiant, Elder Tribunal, Iceni, Lost Souls of Glaznor, Ridge Runners, Neo Alliance, The Pantheon, and so, so many more.

The sheer sense of community that EQ fostered is something that has never been duplicated in any mmo or other game I’ve played since.

Too bad EQPlayers seems to have been abandoned.

Ridgerunners still exist, was a couple of 105s outside the Guild Hall 10 mins ago.

Daybreak was able to find my account. I have no idea why my account login was the stock symbol for the company I worked at at the time. And I’m sure my 65 enc, 58 sk, 51 clr, 34 dru lineup is going to need some retooling. But I have a huge smile right now.

Bleh. They deleted all my characters in both EQ1 and 2, apparently. But hey, I now have a heroic EQ1 necromancer that I will probably never play.

Trying to recover my old account as well. I know my characters haven’t been deleted because I can’t use the names on a new character.

I could just go with a new account, but I wanted to roll with my old necro and crank the nostalgia factor up to 11. Also, I’m sure my gear is utter crap nowadays, but I’d hate to lose my CoS and holgresh elder beads. Unless they’re also crap now.

I hope they aren’t crap, I have pre-nerf versions. Too bad about my Earthshaker.

…not that I’ll ever use any of it again.

If Daybreak wants money they should 3D-print and sell Amiibo type figurines of our characters, but allow us to choose armor/weapon style. I’d love to get my characters printed in my old Velious gear, with those awesome textures and helms on the classic models.

Too bad it would probably take too much work to make something like that look good, given the low rez textures and low poly models. I mean, I want them blocky and authentic, but most classic models have really screwed up elbows and things that would need fixing etc.

As a very early days player who dealt with the insane level grinding that included “hell levels” , losing exp on death(including your level), and of course having to get all your stuff off your corpse every time that is pretty amusing if that’s how it is now.

There is no more twisting. /mel 1 2 3 4 5 etc, will continuously loop those songs for you. /mel is short for melody. You can set up social hotkeys to play any variety and combo of songs you want. It’s awesome.

Yah, you get better starting gear in the tutorial than you used to get in raids, and the tank merc can solo multiple reds till about level 60 or so. It is seriously easy nowdays.

They do heroic characters in eq2, btw, but I can’t find any indication that you can get one for free, nor was I granted one when I tried. They’re 3500 daybreak foozles normally, which is probably at least $35. It’s a pity because if they’d had that deal for eq2 (and I guess did back in August when they added them) I might have started playing again. I just never liked eq1 that much.

How did I miss that when reading the bard guides. That changes everything!

I started the bard epic, the white/red dragon scales are a insanely tough requirement tho, I’ve not seen anything other than Gorenaire up in 3 years of soloing. I only saw Trakanon for the first time a few weeks ago when I was doing those new oldschool Kunark quests (and surprisingly earned myself a unique title) It’s probably even harder to do now than on release seeing anyone can one shot kill any of the old raid mobs.

I’ve done the bard epic a few times, it’s not for the feint of heart lol. Yah bards are quite awesome. They aren’t the best molo-ers in the game, but they are super amazing in a box team or in groups. Given that the game is FTP, it’s worth looking into running something on a free account, just to get an extra merc. Use the tank merc on your main account, and then just box something like a wiz with a cleric merc.

I came back to EQ a couple of years ago, and ended up 3 boxing a ton, it’s crazy fun.

Do you play in multiple windows or have the extra accounts on different monitors or even different PCs?

I’ve been looking aound some of the higher level content (Underfoot onwards) and my 86 ranger/cleric A5 merc just couldn’t cut it, a single blue con killed me faster than the cleric could heal. Having said that, for the older zones i spend most of my time in, I move around so much multi-boxing wouldnt be much fun.

Edit: and in further proof It’s Not As Hard As It Used To Be™ I logged on in Dreadlands, ran to Burning Woods picked up the rare spawn then on to Skyfire and Talendor was actually up. I then read Allakhazams properly and saw they put the dragon scales on new named mobs anyway, and I had actually walked up to the Gorenaire drop mob earlier on today and hailed it as it didn’t recognise it. I guess you can do the entire Epic in an afternoon now.

One PC, 3 windows. I use no external software. It’s actually must faster to just click on the window you want, than it is to alt tab or some other nonsense. I got quite good at it at one point. Everquest is so good, in terms of setting up macros, it makes it really easy to box, especially if you use characters that don’t have to move around a lot and can perform well on /follow. Bards, wizards, druids, mages, necros are all especially good box characters, as they are dead easy to macro, and require no positioning every fight.

I typically have a “driver”, and that’s the character I’m on 95% of the time. Every fight is usually just one click on the other window, hit the macro with a keybind, and on to the next window. I spend a matter of seconds on the box toons per fight unless something goes wonky. It’s very very easy once you get the hang of it.

You can open multiple versions of EQ by just starting the launcher again, and picking a different account. It runs surprisingly well. I have zero issues with running even up to 5 accounts at once. One BIG TIP I will give you if you try this, you have to go into your display settings, and set your BACKGROUND FRAME RATE to something like 60 FPS. It comes default to min, and it will make follow work very badly on your characters that aren’t on screen.

Be warned, if you get sucked into boxing, you may lose large portions of your life, and probably spiral into an endless string of “which combo is best”. I spent a few years doing this lol.