Everquest Evolution

anyone check out EQ Evolution? It is the all-in-one pack for EQ – all expansion packs included for a cheap-ass price with 1 month free subscription.

I never tried EQ but have tried other MMORPGs… I have been thinking about trying EQ since it is so legendary… and now that HL2 isnt coming out I need a distraction…

…what do you think? Is it worth trying EQ Evolutions or is the game just too damn old and the gfx too damn crappy to bother playing?

Not sure how much fun a new player would have to this game as most of people in the game now are long time players. I’d suspect many of the lower and mid level areas to be pretty emtpy.

Nah, there’s always people working on alternate characters. I think it’s funny when I join a group and people ask what ‘their main is’ and I say “You’re looking at him”. Most people are pretty cool to a true newbie to the game, so you won’t have many problems. The graphics in the newer expansions will push your system to it’s limits, just get out of the old crappy zones as soon as possible. It can’t compete with anything new out there, but I think EQ has aged pretty well, graphically speaking (compared to UO, which looks awful now).

I bought EQ Evolution when I decided to renew my account and you get a TON of content for $30. As for the graphics, each expansion has gotten better. The old world is sadly dated but new stuff looks much better.

There are three new races, each with new starting towns and newbie hunting zones. That might be a way to go if you want to experience the best graphics. In order from oldest to newest expansion the races are: Iksar (lizardmen) Vah Shir (Catmen) and Frogloks (yes, frogmen - they Rock!). I’ve been told that the best classes for each of these races is Shaman, Beastlord and Paladin, respectively. You might want to fire up one of these and see how it is.

I have a newbie Beastlord (Troll) on Mith Marr and hes kind of fun. I intend to muck about with him some.

Once you get started, you can use the Portal system to get around easy and the /lfg command to look for groups.

EQ is still a ridiculous time sink and as a true new player you will feel surrounded by uber “god” players. But theres a lot of game play to be had, and a LOT of content to see.

Your best bet would be to start chars on server with some folks you know.

Dan

B/C I can’t resist, if you start EQ as a newbie, here is what you can expect :

http://www.guildmirage.com/has_anybody.htm

Enjoy.

Dan

My experience in jumping back into the game is exactly this. I’m playing on one of the PvP servers, though, so it might be less populated.

I’ve spent the last two nights looking for groups for my 26 druid and not finding any. Kind of a drag, as soloing in EQ isn’t all that much fun.

DrDel, if you’re itching to try an MMO, you might consider seeing if any of them have free trials. I think AO had a free seven day trial at one point. Look into Endless Ages too for something different – think they have a free trial.

I don’t know of any others with free trials.

EQ is a cool game. If you get Revolutions and find players to play with, you’ll have a good time I think.

find players to play with?! I am 30 years old… no one in my circle of friends goes near games!!! I am the only one inflicted with this addiction, and all my friends think I am a worse person for it! ha!

We’re talking about finding players to play with online. The MMOs tend to be tilted towards group play. Players even get married in these games. I saw honeymoon screenshots once from a DAoC marriage. That was a bit troubling.

Just think – maybe you too can have an online marriage. That will impress your circle of friends even more!

This is exactly my situation as well. Not a single friend of mine plays any kind of MMORPG.

This is exactly my situation as well. Not a single friend of mine plays any kind of MMORPG.[/quote]

Hey, now that we finally have two computers in my house, I tried to get my wife to play one with me. She looked at me like I was a lunatic, ha ha.

No, this secret passion we all share must remain just that – secret!

I can only imagine the look on my wife’s face if I asked her to play Everquest with me.

I played Dark Age of Camelot with my wife. She tried SWG as well, but hated it, even though I let her be a wookie.

Untrue! For the first 10 levels, you now respawn with all items and gear at your bind point.

They’ve also gone through and put in all sorts of newbie quests, a bit of help/tips for the new player when starting, etc. It’s much more “new player” friendly than it used to be.

All that said, if you want to see most of the game and you’re a true newbie, you’re still looking at significant time investment. Probably on the order of 15 or so days played (not in 15 days, mind you, but 15 days worth of online time), unless you know someone who can help you out a bit.

I played Dark Age of Camelot with my wife. She tried SWG as well, but hated it, even though I let her be a wookie.[/quote]
My wife has zero interest in computer games of any kind.

I played Dark Age of Camelot with my wife. She tried SWG as well, but hated it, even though I let her be a wookie.[/quote]
My wife has zero interest in computer games of any kind.[/quote]

Think of all that extra free time she therefore has to knit you socks.

This is exactly my situation as well. Not a single friend of mine plays any kind of MMORPG.[/quote]

Hey, now that we finally have two computers in my house, I tried to get my wife to play one with me. She looked at me like I was a lunatic, ha ha.

No, this secret passion we all share must remain just that – secret![/quote]

My wife played EQ with me for a week or two. She thought killing things was “icky”, and found 3D disorienting. (She had never played an FPS.) Come to think of it, the only games I’ve ever seen her enjoy have been adventures. Oh, and Civ 1, which she played on Chieftain against only one other civilization.

I have hopes for my daughter, but my wife is not a gamer. At least she tolerates me. :D