Everspace 2

Thanks for the heads up Tom, I myself prefer a campaign vs a rogue like, so I’ll probably end up enjoying it.

Also glad to see you playing and disliking video games again! :D

Indeed, not a roguelike at all. I had the exact opposite reaction and it’s one of my most highly anticipated titles. What I really want is more wing commander and it sounds somewhat similar if less structured. Not a sandbox, not roguelike, not a mining or merchant or courier sim.

Yeah, I’m very happy it is not a roguelike.

Having a campaign puts a bit more emphasis on the writing and plot and I didn’t get the impression from the bit I tried that that was going to be all that worthwhile. I suppose like any ‘open world’ game, you have to pick an choose among the main quest / interesting side stuff to make an experience that works for you.

The full release will still be on Gamepass right?

Yeah, I hope I didn’t come across as bagging on the game itself. I’m just so taken aback that they’ve abandoned what I had assumed was their main selling point: being a rogue-like. I trust they know their fanbase better than me, though, and I’m guessing they’ve been very upfront about dropping that for the sequel? I just didn’t know because I didn’t follow any of the marketing until last week.

But Everspace 2 seems fine if you don’t mind a story-based game – I can confirm the cutscenes are skippable : ) – and if you’re interested in a space-sim-flavored action-RPG, it certainly seems like it will fit the bill. Rockfish did fine with their loot variety and character/perk progression in the first game, and based on my brief playtime with this sequel*, it seems they’ve gotten more confident with the amount of detail in their combat model (damage types, buffs, debuffs, special abilities, all in the context of space-sim action). And, of course, put it in a fancier engine with bigger battles and bigger locations.

Aside from dropping the rogue-like structure, I’ve discovered another “me problem” with Everspace 2. I jumped back into Rebel Galaxy Outlaw and, sure enough, that game’s “hold to follow” dogfighting is just so addicting. It’s really hard to have to go back to doing my own turning fights. I’m concerned that Travis Baldree has ruined all other space-sims for me. What a jerk!

But when Everspace 2 comes out, if you guys start burbling enthusiastically about the combat and gear and missions and leveling up and whatnot, I’m fully prepared to be won over.

* which was probably nothing you guys haven’t already seen in the early access version

Oh, good point-- I’ll definitely miss that autoturning too. Maybe they can patch it in. Hope springs eternal.

I skipped the early access because unless it gets dismal reviews, I’m all-in on this game and want the finished product.

I loved the combat model in the first one, I assume the sequel is not radically different so I am very much anticipating this release. Autoturning I assume is the equivalent of baby mode? :p

Not at all. Every space sim ultimately ends up in an endless turning battle, and that gets old fast.

If you enjoy these games you owe it to yourself to try Rebel Galaxy Outlaw. It has by far the best space dogfighting I’ve ever played. Better than Tie-Fighter, Wing Commander, and Freespace 2.

I enjoyed those games much more due to their more structured narratives and (in T/F in particular) the intricate puzzles presented by each battle arena, but for dogfighting nothing touches RGO.

Wrong, right, wrong.

;)

Just like, your opinion, man.

Better than I-War 2?

Sniff I really miss that lady.

Re: Everspace 2, it’s supposedly coming out of early access on Thursday, but I fired up the Game Preview version on Game Pass about a week ago and there was still placeholder voice acting in it, so I’m kind of surprised.

Pretty much known since they started releasing information, I think. Before the Kickstarter.

If you fired up the Game Preview, it would still be whatever the last old binary it was. It would not automatically get updated from their testing branch.

Do we know if the Gamepass preview will act as a preload for the real thing? Or will that be completely separate?

I posted the new games over in the Game Pass thread but yes, full version of Everspace 2 releases on Game Pass April 6.

I know that - I want to know if installing the current ‘preview’ will save me having to download the real thing on the 6th :)

OK well, guess we’ll find out in 2 days.

In the case of Vampire Survivors, I installed the preview version on my PC, and then on the day of the release, I was playing the full version after an update.

I don’t know if Everspace 2 will be the same, but I assume so.