Everspace 2

Maybe literally - I hit the level cap while still on the second star (out of what, five?) and stopped playing.

Game’s been EA forever. Release, dudes!

They have been very clear on what they are doing, why they are going it, and how long it is going to take.

Agreed, it’s coming out next year and that’s fine by me.

Summer update is out.

How far is this away from launch? Must be close now

Early 2023…

Checked this out on Gamepass to see how it’s coming on. Flying and shooting feel nice and it looks great, but my video fans were seriously spinning. I had to limit to 30 fps to bring them back down to normal ish.

New GPU time!

For a moment there I thought this was actually released! But no, not until next year.

Huh, can’t say my GPU has ever found this particularly taxing, even with RTX on, but I have it on Steam. Might be different on GP.

Sounds like the final major update of early access is out now.

So exciting!

I just want them to get to 1.0 so I can start playing again without having to worry about a progress reset.

Girl, same.

Finally a 1.0 date! April 6.

Sweeeet. Hopefully it will still be Game Pass when it hits 1.0.

Trailer to go along with that release date announcement above.

No formal wipe, but not recommended to carry on a pre-1.0 save:

I’m early enough in the campaign that I’ll probably just start over.

Apologies if this is redundant, but it doesn’t seem like anything that’s been discussed in the last few years, which might be because everyone but me already knew! But I just started playing a review build of this after a brief press demo. It’s literally my first look at what Rockfish is doing with the sequel. I haven’t read any press or played the early access version, which has been available for some time.

So I had no idea that Everspace is no longer a rogue-like.

Instead, it’s now a once-and-done story-based campaign with some side quests and whatnot, and all the progression is just typical action-RPG stuff. One of the folks from Rockfish called it a “looter shooter”, which I guess is accurate, and works as shorthand for how Everspace 2 is entirely missing the original game’s framework. Since that rogue-like framework was a big part of the draw of the original for me – in terms of moment-to-moment space-sim gameplay, I’m partial to Rebel Galaxy Outlaw and House of the Dying Sun – I’m pretty bummed this framework has been replaced by a story campaign. :(

Stupidly, I didn’t even realize this until I was playing and got killed because I was using the wrong key for nanobots (healing). So when I died and got the prompt to reload the last checkpoint, something immediately went off in my head. “Reload”? “Checkpoint”? Hold on a sec, shouldn’t I be permadead? Isn’t this Everspace???

So I don’t think I’ll be playing this, but I do look forward to hearing what you guys think. As far as story-based space-sim action RPGs go, Everspace 2 seems, at the very least, perfectly cromulent and Rockfish certainly knows what they’re doing. Meanwhile, I’ve reinstalled the original Everspace and might try a new run.