Everything (the bagel)

Everything bagel with olive cream cheese.
Egg bagel with cherry cream cheese.

As a strong proponent of homemade Indian cuisine, I say absolutely not!!

Aww, I’m gonna miss being your friend. Around here at least, Brueggers is terrible, and stupidly closes at 3PM in most locations. Wtf. Sometimes a man need a shitty bagel sandwich at 8 o clock at night, dammit.

Absolutely. Without kosher salt it’s an ‘almost but not quite everything’ bagel.

I can’t tell if you’re trolling about Brueggers or not. The one across from our house is pretty horrid. Plus, as Armando said, what the hell is with this closing at 3:30pm business? We drive much farther to go to the Einsteins, which almost always has a line out the door. Can’t same the same for Brueggers.

Maybe there’s some regional variance, but I will agree with Adam that Bruegger’s beats Einstein Bros in the Minneapolis area, at a bare minimum. Can’t speak for them anywhere else.

Try it with Jalapeno cream cheese.

The everything bagel is acceptable if there are no onion bagels.

In the Boston area there are no really good authentic bagels available. There’s some very good bagels from Iggy’s in Cambridge, but they’re not authentic; and there’s authentic bagels from Brueggers, but they’re only so-so. There are some Jewish bakeries in Brookline, but their bagels are very humdrum.

On the other hand, good bagels are hard to get in NYC too these days. When I was a kid there were a lot more local bakeries that actually baked instead of getting their stuff from some remote factory.

There’s a Jewish bakery down right where SoHo becomes NoHo that makes awesome (fill in the blank) breadstuffs. I highly recommend their bagels :)

Wouldn’t that just be “Ho”?

Lox, capers, onion, cucumber, chive cream cheese on plain untoasted. No tomato, pickle on the side. And once in a while, believe it or not, chili cheese Fritos!

I don’t recall any plain 'hos there, but then I am happily married.

Yeah, good point. In the 70s my friends and I hung out in front of an apartment building on Ocean Parkway in Brooklyn. Every night, at some point, we’d walk to a nearby Jewish bagel shop and buy warm bagels to eat. My favorite was a salt bagel. Nothing on them. Just a perfect bagel as a snack. God I miss them. That same store changed owners and had the ovens removed. They got their bagels in large paper sacks. All cold. Not the same.

I absolutely love that the only purpose of this thread was to make me lol at the thread title, yet there is a genuine and enthusiastic discussion of everything bagels now.

Which I will not participate in because I give 0F’s. But I had to say I love you all.

Now I want to eat some bagels, you jerks.

We can only show you the path.

Damn right @BrianRubin and @Chowhound

Also lox is something that I’ve never actually seen available in Chicago. However when I was in Paris I had a lox crepe that was divine. And lox bagels were available at the hotel in Amsterdam and they were pretty fantastic too.

Now you’re just fucking with me.

Not at all. There are 5 or 6 bagelries that deliver to my apartment that bake their own in-house. Ess-a-bagel is particularly great, and Kossar’s of course makes the world’s best bialys.

I’ve been living in a bagel desert since I moved up and it’s been horrible. Every place has those mushy bagels with no real crust to them, even the places that bake their own.

Yeah, like they skip glazing them before baking or something.

They don’t boil them first. Boiling them in a lye/water bath gives that crispy brown crust.

Edit: It also stops them from rising so they’re not so puffy.