EVGA to NVidia: Drop Dead

I had a component blow on the card that actually left a scorch mark on the board. I just took a photo and they cross shipped it immediately.

This reminds me of BFG’s end way back in 2010. Hopefully it doesn’t wind up the same way.

EVGA GPUs are getting their prices slashed this week too, maybe having started just a couple of days ago. (Or maybe it’s just an end of the cycle inventory blowout, but the few I’ve looked at are still lower than MSI or ASUS…)

3090 ti for $1,100 which is almost 50% off MSRP.

Holy shit. This is really crappy news, for EVGA employees and for discerning hardcore gamers. I have an EVGA 3080, was planning to get an EVGA 40x0 card. EVGA has been my first choice in cards since I bought a 6800GT in 2004.

This is pretty unprecedented in this industry, too, as far as I can remember. (And I started working in this industry when you could still buy a new Commodore 64.)

Guess it’s MSI or Asus for the next round.

PS: Party in the hallway at Zotac HQ!

This is hugely disappointing news for me, having been buying EVGA cards going back a very long way and was planning my next upgrade in the 40xx series. I’m surprised that it was something decided back in April that somehow never leaked out anywhere, not even a whisper of the decision? That’s pretty wild in itself.

I’ll likely have to go with the consensus on the next best for the 40xx series. EVGA is going to vanish, though, unless they go niche and very lean. They may have other products, but nothing as high profile.

Up next EVGA Arc 😜

For those who didn’t listen to the financial breakdown in the Gamers Nexus video, which is based on an actual interview with the CEO, their profit margin on power supplies is a couple orders of magnitude higher, and they’ve already established themselves as a reliable brand name with substantial marketshare in that sector. With GPU (& even CPU) power demands getting even wilder over the next year, they do stand a decent chance of surviving with healthy finances.

But they’re gonna have layoffs, even if they go about it indirectly. That part disappoints me. I’m still hoping for a latent switch to AMD GPUs.

Ars article says EVGA represents 40% of NVIDIA sales in the US. That’s a surprisingly big portion. Wow.

Hah, I’ve never seen this
https://youtu.be/_36yNWw_07g

I believe that, everyone of my IRL gamer friends runs some kind of EVGA card.

I wonder how this will effect warranties. If they aren’t making GPUs, and say 3 years from now, what are they going to give me if my 3080ti dies?

They are saying they intend to keep some stock for warranties.

I was gonna build a new machine next year or so, I really hope they reconcile by then. I can barely imagine my PC without an EVGA GPU in it.

Same. In light of that 40% figure that was provided upthread I’m really hoping this is a negotiating tactic.

By the prophets me as well.

By Valkyrie!* I’ve been holding off on buying a new computer for over two years, waiting for things to settle down, and EVGA was my first choice for a card (really, my only choice), and now this.

I’ve got a 1070 that’s been getting me by. I really want an EVGA card in my next rig. Do I grab a 3080 while I still can and prices are good? Or do I wait and see how things shake out? I’m thinking a 3080 should hold me over for another 5 years (my 1070 has been going for 6).

If what they’re saying is true, warranty shouldn’t really be a problem, as in my experience, if anything is going to go wrong with a video card, it has always happened within the first few months.

Damn it, I really don’t have much trust in any other card manufacturer. Gah.

*In the spirit of @BrianRubin, I have edited the first words of my post from ‘God damn it!’ to ‘By Valkyrie’, as it seems appropriate.

Every time you do that I hear Shax. If that’s the desired effect, well done!

In a roundabout way yes! I’m trying to replace stuff like “my god” and such with “by the prophets” and so on. It’s been a lot of fun.

Love it.

Didn’t XFX have a comparable warranty?

Yeah, a similar one, but they dropped it for new items a few years back. I actually used BFG’s once on a 1000 watt PSU. Honestly, I was stunned because they’d stopped carrying that particular model. I reached out wondering if I could send it in for repairs, but they just shipped me a new one almost immediately.