Evil Empire rolls out new anti-Linux ad campaign

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1426252,00.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/facts/default.asp

Some hilarious FUD and such independent research as “an IDC Whitepaper Sponsored by Microsoft.” Running scared they are, the Sith!

Wouldn’t a better target be those people who are simply sticking with older versions of MS Windows who’ve decided it’s not worth the cost of upgrading to the latest MS products, but are also unwilling to move on to competitor products.

I used to work tech support for a $4 billion NYSE-listed real estate company and even now more than 99% of their computers run Windows 95. I’ve also heard and read numerous reports on thousands of other companies that refused to make the leaps from Win 2000 to XP.

Why should they? Win2k Pro will be supported for a while, and XP doesn’t offer much over 2k.

Companies using 95 and NT, well, that’s a different story.

I do IT work for several lawyers that still use DOS because they have some custom software that won’t run under Windows… I sold them an old Pentium-100 and it was an UPGRADE! That’s low TCO!

But Linux really does suck.

Why, that’s true!

Wassa matta, command line scare ya?

No, I just don’t see any use for an OS that can’t run any software that I want, and is neither as secure nor as stable as other options for servers.

neither as secure nor as stable as other options for servers

That, my friend, shows who you work for! :lol:

There’s no doubt that Windows owns the desktop. Hell, I gotta have my games too! But it is starting to lose more and more to Linux in the corporate and governmental arenas. There’s no doubt Linux has a long way to go before Joe Sixpack will (can) use it everyday.

So funny. Though I was referring to the various BSDs.

No, I just don’t see any use for an OS that can’t run any software that I want, and is neither as secure nor as stable as other options for servers.[/quote]

It runs a lot more server software than Windows, in my experience. Where I work we still use Solaris, but Linux is becoming more popular very rapidly.

For desktop use, it depends what you want. I run Linux on my laptop. Except for games there isn’t much I want to do that I can’t do comfortably on Linux, and in many ways it’s much better. Then again, I’m a programmer, so those advantages wouldn’t necessarily translate to all users. (I still think the Mac is a better bet for an average user, except for the games issue.)

I could have gone into detail refuting extarbags about the server comments but then I would be falling into the FUD trap. (Plus, there’s a ballgame coming on shortly… priorities.)

Maybe you both missed it. I was talking about BSD, not Windows.

Yes, but your original comment doesn’t mention BSD. No biggie.