Ex-Apple guy makes a thermostat for idiots

Google News pointed me at the Nest thermostat this morning. In design terms, it’s an awfully sleek device, like mounting an iPod on your wall.

The motivation behind this seems to be that most people are too stupid to program a thermostat, so they set their house temperature manually, and probably don’t do it enough. In one respect, Fadell has a point, programmable thermostats are extremely crude in their interface. I really don’t enjoy messing with mine. It’s not that it’s particularly hard, it’s that it’s clumsy and remarkably error-prone for such a simple task. Set time, set temperature, 4 times for each day of the schedule, and no “back” button so if you make a mistake, you have to go through the cycle again from the start. Most often with me it’s that the thermostat isn’t being responsive to button presses, and I end up skipping a temperature setting.

Still, it’s a very simple task, even if annoying, and you usually only have to do it once. The Nest thermometer seems aimed at the 12 o’clock flashers of the world, the people who can’t can’t figure out how to set the clocks on their microwaves. This is a device you use like a manual thermostat, setting the temperature by twisting the dial, and it figures out your schedule from that. Provided your conscientious enough to turn your thermostat down at night in the first place, of course.

It’s a seriously high-tech thermostat. That bit in the center is a high resolution color LCD screen, and it has a setup menu that you access with an Classic iPod like turn-and-click interface. It has WiFi and internet connectivity, so you can mess with it from anywhere you have a web browser, and it has an iPhone app. It has what appears to be an infinite number of temperature set points, watching the video showing the scheduling menu. If you’re not an idiot, you can create a schedule yourself, and the scheduling interface is so much better than a regular thermostat it’s like the difference between a GUI and a command line interface.

To my eye, it has two major design flaws. The first is the much-touted “auto away” feature, where a motion sensor built into the thermostat will automatically switch to “away” temperatures if it hasn’t seen you for a while. That’s at least half the issue when setting thermostat schedules right there (the other half being sleep times), and it sounds great until you think about it for more than about 30 seconds. Very, very few people live in just one room of a house. I don’t care what room it is, there are going to be times when you’re not in there for hours at a time. To make this idea work, the Nest would need 2-3 remote sensors for every temperature zone, and it doesn’t. I know I’d turn this feature off right away, because my desk is simply not visible from my office thermostat location.

The second is one that the Nest shares with most thermostats, it has separate “heating” and “cooling” modes. It’s a friggin’ computer, and I still have to flip that stupid switch for it? Every fall around here the climate likes to fake me out, getting chilly enough to justify switching my thermostats (I have 3 zones) to “heat,” and then the next day is a heat wave that pushes my attic office above 80 degrees. This is understandable with regular thermostats that aren’t much smarter than mechanical switches, but the Nest web page talks about periodic software updates for the device.

I also think Fadell’s head is in a weird place. In this video interview, he starts by spending a couple of minutes talking about about design aesthetics before talking about actual functionality.

To be fair though, the look of the device is the first thing people will see and notice, so it’s not really that weird to address that first before delving into the nitty/gritty.

The second is one that the Nest shares with most thermostats, it has separate “heating” and “cooling” modes. It’s a friggin’ computer, and I still have to flip that stupid switch for it? Every fall around here the climate likes to fake me out, getting chilly enough to justify switching my thermostats (I have 3 zones) to “heat,” and then the next day is a heat wave that pushes my attic office above 80 degrees. This is understandable with regular thermostats that aren’t much smarter than mechanical switches, but the Nest web page talks about periodic software updates for the device.

All I want is a thermostat that lets me set a low temp and a high temp. If the temperature goes below the low temp, turn on the heat. If the temperature goes above the high temp, turn on the air conditioning.

I did a little looking, and apparently Honeywell has been making computer-level thermostats for years that have this feature as well as many of the other Nest features, such as internet remote control, at around the Nest’s price point ($250). Reading the manual, though, it’s still a remarkably difficult to use device.

Edit: apparently the much less fancy 7-day touch-screen Honeywell thermostat has automatic heat / cool switching as well. Hmmm.

Edit: Wow, talk about user-hostile. Reading the manual online for the cheaper touch screen thermostat, to set the date, you have to choose “installer setup number 120” to set the first two digits of the year, #130 to the last two digits, #140 for the month, and #150 for the day. You have got to be kidding me, who designed this, a holdover from the days of programming computers with punch cards?

As someone with only one heat zone and a centrally-located thermostat, this could work really well for me.

$250 dollars??? I might be interested if it was closer to $50 (and I really don’t need an IP-enabled thermostat).

Finally, my dream of having my pet from Black & White run my thermostat has been realized.

From the web site, it does the multiple zones well enough, if in a very expensive way at $250 per zone. The devices apparently talk to each other, though it’s not clear that they do anything more than share motion-sensor information.

This is so spot on. The whole learning thing seemed very ass-backward compared to just telling the device what you want. Software that tries to read your mind rarely does a good job (see: iOS autocorrect jokes).

However, it’s not completely stupid. I’m home all day, but only the attic really needs to be habitable most of the time. In theory, a set of devices like this could figure out a pattern to when I emerge from my lair, provided I was really compulsive about setting temperatures when leaving / entering zones, at least long enough for a pattern to emerge.

Yea, I choked when I saw that.

I’ll put up with having to read the manual on how to program the times on the boiler, thanks.

Zylon - lol

I didn’t see any pictures of it. Does it look slick and high-end? If so, I’d say there’s at least some market for it. I mean, surely rich people don’t have those boxy-ass Honeywell thermostats.

I do sometimes wonder, more broadly speaking, why home automation technology has the reputation of being either obscenely expensive or completely unreliable. You’d think tech these days would be up to the task of affordably doing something as trivial as, say, controlling multiple light switches from a single master switch.

It’s because it’s software written by hardware people. Hardware people absolutely suck, suck, suck at software and at UIs in general.

I mean, here we are in 2011, and it’s not even possible for you to reliably turn your receiver and your TV on at the same time without buying a special web-programmable remote control. It’s absurd.

Very. I’d have thought you’d have gotten that from the image I embedded in the first post, but you can see Fadell handling it in the video, and it’s the sort of great industrial design you’d expect from an Apple guy. Watch the 2nd setup video in their support page, it’s feels exactly like you’ve got an iPod mounted on the wall.

I was really struck by that, looking over the Honeywell manuals. The UI for really basic tasks is Dwarf Fortress bad.

The integration issue you mention between home theater elements is a little more understandable. That’s not a matter of brain-dead UI design, it’s a problem inherent in an near-infinite number of combinations of components built by different manufacturers. And frankly, the sophisticated remotes have made big advances in how affordable they are, a Redeye will set you back about $100, whereas a Pronto used to cost $500 or more.

I mean, here we are in 2011, and it’s not even possible for you to reliably turn your receiver and your TV on at the same time without buying a special web-programmable remote control. It’s absurd.

On the other hand, without that absurdity I wouldn’t receive that little dose of joy I always get from using my Harmony to do eight things at once with one button.

Because using some sort of standards for the codes which operate these devices is hard? There is enough common functionality with similar devices that this is perfectly feasible. TVs could easily all use the same codes for power, channel up, channel down, volume up, etc. And that’s only one, obvious, approach. With HDMI these devices can talk to each other and and one can direct the operation of another. You could, in theory, send an input change to your TV through your receiver. This is a problem that shouldn’t really exist anymore.

Getting the manufacturers to agree on standards is the hard part. Point taken about HDMI, though we’re not at a point where everything is communicating that way.

A simple matter of standards. I mean, in THEORY, HDMI-CEC fixes this, but in practice, I don’t think that reliably works for stuff of different brands. And if it does work at all, it’s buried deep in menus somewhere. I have a brand-new receiver, TV, Xbox, and PS3, and the magic of a Harmony is the only way to make them play together even vaguely well.

$250 isn’t bad if it manages to save me at least that much money on energy costs within the first year.

$250 is a small price to pay to allow hackers to turn off your heat in the middle of the night.