Excellent classic JRPG on Steam NOW, $16.99 (Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky)

As mentioned over in the GOG thread, this is currently $10 as a flash sale for the next five hours.

It’s back down to $10 right now. About 30 minutes left.

Andrew Dice, one of the founders of Carpe Fulgur (Recettear), made a new blog post to apologize for the delay in the translations of Trails in the Sky 2. Warning! the post contains a frank discussion on depression and suicide. This is not for the light-hearted.

Jesus. That’s really something.

I have 10 hours into the game that shall not be named, I’ve had zero bugs or crashes, and haven’t had to fiddle with anything. I also wrote that it was a maybe game of the year for me in another thread that shall not be named. This game has the most cohesive story of any JRPG I’ve played, and everything does exactly what you think it should do, as far as controls, menus etc. Really well produced and thought out game, and certainly worth the money…that is…if it’s the game I think it is…which shall not be named.

I’m still not entirely clear on just what this game is.

Good. That’s how we like it.

It’s the only game I own on the Vita. Once my PS+ expires, I won’t have the option of playing anything else. That’s when I’ll get back into it, I suspect.

I think that’s the whole vibe here…it’s similar to only liking a band until other people start to like them. There is a lot of indie cred going on…

I waited the entire Steam sale for this to go 50% off and nothing!

There was a flash sale early on (I want to say day 3?) at 50% off.

GOG also had this on sale recently for 50% off as well.

You’ll probably see it on sale again next year when the sequel comes out.

What am I missing? I tried watching a Let’s Play a while back, and between the music hat sounded like it was lifted wholesale from Teletubbies and the 10-year-old main character (I guess) I never made it more than 5 minutes into the opening cutscene.

Welcome to JRPGs? lol. They are a more coherent Teletubbies than you usually get? For me, the game mechanics are pretty good, and everything works like it should. Just about every one of these ports/games suffers from some really horrible interface idiocy/problems. This one is pretty much flawless (or at least it was for me). The story actually makes sense, right from the get go, which is also pretty much unheard of. The localization is also pretty good, the characters don’t speak to each other as if the dialogue has been run back and forth through google translate 50 times.

/shrug. TLDR: It’s pretty well done.

Yet The Last Remnant, the only JRPG I spent any substantial time with, didn’t suffer from any of this. Neither did Rot3K XI, which I also liked a lot (I know, not an RPG, but still…). Why don’t Japanese developers produce more titles like those?

The Last Remnant was designed for western audiences, and Rot3K is a typical Koei serious-business historical strategy game. Not really good comparisons to 99.9% of JRPGs, including this one.

I’m having a great time with this game. My two favorite things are probably the combat (it’s simple but tactical, since positioning and judicious use of arts and crafts are important in the tougher fights) and the way it takes its time building the world and fleshing out characters. I sure hope we’ll see chapter 2 released sometime this year.

After being in limbo for a VERY long time, the Second Chapter is coming out in just a week: http://store.steampowered.com/app/251290/

This is the part where quality reaches its apex, and it’s the most relevant thing to happen to JRPGs in the last few years (it’s certainly miles better than that Zestiria game that monopolized the attention now). The two games make a whole story, and this second chapter is significantly larger than the first (that still was roughly a 40-50 hours game). If the first one was considered an excellent classic JRPG on its own, this one is among the very best in the whole history of the genre.

The series and overall story arc goes on in other titles, but the two chapters are consider a complete thing. I’ve also read that despite the whole series being excellent, the last title released this year is steering back into repetition and standard tropes. So what we have here remains a selection of the very best the series has to offer.

The only downside is that the first game cost $20, with a discount when it was released bringing it down to $17, instead the second part will be $30, no discount. Even if it should still be justified because the work on translation was significantly larger. The script size was massive, probably longer even compared to Xenogears and Persona 3 FES.

(about script sizes: there’s very little certainty in the calculations, but estimations give the first chapter at 1.5 million characters and the second at 3. The average Final Fantasy should be around 600k. So you can see how these two games are considered the hugest in the genre. Even if the largest chunk is because all NPCs actively react to events in the game, so you keep returning to them and they always have fresh, new dialogue, which is one thing this series gets praised a lot for)

I’ll just leave this here:

Yes, a kotaku link. With excellent news about an excellent classic JRPG.

edit: too slow :(

Second chapter of what? I am so confused.

The game this thread is somehow about despite not being named anywhere useful.

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

I think it’s technically part of the Ys mythos, but maybe I’m getting it mixed up w/ something else.