Expansion Pack of the Year

Since we’ve already got threads going on early GoTY and Disapointment of the Year, I’ll throw in the exp pack category :).

So far, the only expansion pack that has really impressed me is the DAOC expansion. The HoMM IV expansion was (despite a few decent campaigns) a very weak low-content expansion. None of the other expansions grabbed me. Civ III PTW just looks flat bad, and the reviews are terrible.

The DOAC expansion, Shrouded Isles is a good one: an upgrade of the basic game engine from Net Immerse 3 to NI 4, which makes pretty every thing in the game look better and boosts performance for me overall. Although I don’t really care for the new races and classes (except the Reaver), the new lands are VERY cool. I’ve only explord parts of the Albion and Hibernia new lands but they have distinctive looks and a mixture of old and new foes. They seem complete (at least in the newbie areas) with towns, trainers, quests, etc.

So thats my nominee for EPoTY :).

What else came along and really added to or enhanced a game this year?

Dan

It doesn’t seem to be a very good year for expansions, actually. I haven’t seen anything to compare to last years Diablo 2 and Baldur’s Gate 2 expansions, both of which I thought were superb.

Many of the expansions I was looking forward to turned out to be somewhat mediocre (at best!), such as the AvP2 expansion and MechWarrior 4.

BTW, does anyone know if there will be an AoW2 expansion?

The Medal of Honor: Spearhead expansion pack is fantastic!

Heh, just kidding. It blows big hairy goats. It’s my pick for worst expansion pack of the year. In fact, I haven’t played any expansions good enough to give any sort of award to (haven’t tried the DAoC expansion).

A couple of decent expansions came out just in the last week or two:

Cossacks: Back to War (actually, a standalone expansion, which is probably a contradiction in terms) and the unpublicized (as far as I can see) Battle Realms: Winter of the Wolf (an add-on which comes packaged with the original game).

Peter

I’m curious how Operation Flashpoint: Resistance (unless that’s more of a sequel than an addon) went over or Morrowind’s Tribunal. I haven’t gotten either yet but I’m curious.

The HoMM IV pack may have cured me from ever desiring an expansion again and now they are going to have a second, equally thin one. I do not think I have picked up one other than it. Well, Majesty’s, but it certainly wasn’t released this year, but it was fun.

I’m curious how Operation Flashpoint: Resistance (unless that’s more of a sequel than an addon) went over

It’s good, if you’re a fan of Op. Flash, but I think Red Hammer was better. I can’t recall a single franchise supporting two strong expansions.* Usually they run out of steam by the second one. Half-Life was brilliant, Opposing Force was great, Blue Shift… not so much.

Developers are probably better off devoting their time to the next engine rather than milking the franchise just one more time…

• Other than the SIMS I guess

It’s my pick for worst expansion pack of the year

You obviously did not play AVP2: Primal Hunt. Spearhead was unpleasant; Primal Hunt was painful.

[quote=“wumpus”]

I can’t recall a single franchise supporting two strong expansions.* * Other than the SIMS I guess

All the MMORPGs have had excellent expansion packs. The Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe expansions were good. Wing Commander 1 and 2 both had two solid expansion packs.

Has there ever even been a “good” expansion for a first-person shooter? The only one I even liked was Opposing Force, and it was way too short. Red Hammer is one, I guess. There’s a lot of terrible ones though.

Morrowind: Tribunal is pretty good, but nowhere near as good as the BG2 or D2 expansions. Those were amazing.

OFP Resistance was good. It was well worth the thirty bucks. It added handguns, ability to drop weapons and a new island. It had more than Red Hammer as an expansion (red Hammer was 15 bux as an expansion), but Red Hammer was a better balanced campaign. As always,an expansion is meant to be for people who are fans of the original… so basically if you didn’t like OFP (idiots) then you obviously wouldn’t like Resistance.

Time for Bohemia to make an ofp2 sequel though!

etc

I havn’t bought a exp pack this year as nothing has seemed interesting to me. Also to me 95% of all expansion packs arn’t worth the usual $25+ they want for them. So I pick up most after they have gone down. in price. The BG2 and D2 expansions were the last ones I got.

BTW, does anyone know if there will be an AoW2 expansion?

aow2.heavengames.com reports the lead developer has dropped various hints in their forums alluding to an upcoming expansion or sequel. i think they’ve indicated that they will announce something early next year.

Roller Coaster Tycoon 2…wait, no, it SHOULD HAVE BEEN an expansion pack. As a full game it blows the aforementioned “big hairy goats”.