Expeditions: Conquistador

http://conquistadorthegame.com/

As the game is out on GOG and should be out on Steam momentarily, perhaps it’s time for this game to have its own thread. Tactical, turn-based combat in 16th century Central America. I haven’t yet tried it as I’m at work, but I’m looking forward to trying it tonight. Thoughts & impressions, anyone?

I played the tutorial and started the first real quest. Combat is tactical, with attacks of opportunity, flanking bonuses, and terrain effects, along with the ability to craft and set traps beforehand. Overland travel is challenging as well, as you never seem to find enough rations or meat. In short, it’s unforgiving and quite tough on Normal, which many here will appreciate. Me, I’m thinking about restarting on “Easy”.

It’s nice to have a party-based, turn-based RPG without orcs, elves, and dwarves for a change. My only concern is that I don’t think maps are randomized, which will limit replayability.

Be sure not to miss the in-game Codex. You get an entry every time you encounter something actually historical.

Time to break out my old Procul Harem albums. If, er, I had kept them, that is.

Actually I was thinking more Randy Newman

Good, but not my musical style. This is though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZKqH1O4eEc

BTW, I bought this; it’s pretty good. At least, through the first mission or two. Production values are pretty high, the UI is decent, and the gameplay seems solid. No idea how it holds up, but so far, so good, especially at the price.

Though purists I guess will have to get over having scads of female adventurers/soldiers in the mix. Though historically, as I understand it, there was at least one female conquistadora perhaps, I rather doubt that legions of young Spanish women donned armor and arquebus to conquer the New World. But hell, I could be wrong. Makes little difference in the game, though there are some dialog choices that hinge on gender attitudes, among other things.

One other thing I really like is the conversations that take place between your character and party members when you camp. Very reminiscent of Dragon Age.

There are a fair number of bug reports on the developer’s forum, and on the Steam forums, though I haven’t run into any really. But it’s a really interesting take on the genre in a setting that’s hardly over used, to say the least.

So far I’ve found the game fantastic.

The game is $14.39 over @ GMGwith this voucher: GMG20-LLASD-D8WBQ , I will also mention this in the bargain thread.

Fun.

Really liking it so far.

Haven’t run in to any bugs yet. The game basically plays like heroes of might and magic except it has more sim elements, more rpg elements and of course the setting. It also makes you hate Spanish people because every Spanish leader is out to screw me or get me to do their damned dirty work. I just butchered a bunch of pagans though with my loyal army, so everything is good.

There are a lot of bells and whistles in this game but if you aren’t 100% sure what everything does, you can somewhat get by using various auto options until you understand things better. Once you do though, I think the extra potential options will be nice.

I puttered around on normal for a little bit, hunting and exploring and circling clear around the temple that’s the first mission by accident because I hadn’t figured out there was a map yet. Then while I camped some natives surprise attacked, everyone was scattered to the winds, and I got utterly trounced. They proceeded to straight up butcher one of my soldiers and I…had to set the game down for a little bit.

I am now playing on easy. I love how they handle the various little events and choices, and it absolutely slays me that in addition to being distinct and unique classes in combat and having different skill spreads and weaponry and thus utility in the party, each and every potential recruit is actually a fully realized individual with their own preferences for how you should act (often conflicting with other people in the group), and backstories, and potential associated events and roles in events. It’s crazy.

This game is so evil.

I thought i was doing good and things were going easy. I had tons of medicine from gathering a lot, so i sold some.

Then i fought some bandits that were ALL men at arms level (level 2 basically) where as i had like 3 of my 6 people at men at arms. I managed to win this battle with 2 people left in good health. Lots of medicine to heal everyone up.

Then one of my soldiers nearly died due to quick sand. Lots of medicine.

Then my hunter got attacked by some huge snake and nearly died. LOTS of medicine.

Then one of my soldier guards got bit by a poisonous spider. Lots of Medicine.

Then my slaves revolted. I put down their attack without too much trouble. After doing so, i decided to take the middle ground by executing the leaders and not needlessly punishing non involved slaves. This basically pissed everyone off. I guess the racists wanted to kill all my slaves (doesn’t make much sense) and the peaceful people wanted to let them all go.

I really think you need to build your entire party around one mindset at the start of the game. You either need to have a bunch of super aggressive, racists, or you need to be more peaceful/diplomatic. If you go somewhere in the middle (ie let the game pick for you) then you will end up with half your party getting pissed off no matter what you do.

I decided to focus my equipment and leveling. I have one soldier with the 2nd rank weapon and armor. Then one ranger with a really good rifle. I think i will try to pump up my scout next as i like the class.

Murbella, I came here to vent too – just lost half my expedition members because of an ill-timed random quest event. I had already lost two members through attrition (and one of my doctors getting sick at the exact wrong time), ran out of medicine, and lost another. THEN I’m on my way back to town when I get ambushed and ended up with four out of the only six healthy expedition members getting injured. There’s no way to salvage that game.

God, I’m having fun. It’s like Jagged Alliance with Oregon Trail random stuff thrown in for fun.

I’ve been pretty lucky with that then. I haven’t been ambushed at all yet unless my slave revolt counts. The game is almost rogue like in how you can get massively screwed by random events.

One that really pissed me off was my doctor wanting to leave on some other expedition for a massive 14 days. When i told her no, even seeming to win a leadership roll, she lost about 4-5 loyalty. I still haven’t been able to raise her loyalty back up much even though this happened near the start of the game and i give her double rations every night.

I’m trying to figure out traps/barricades. I have a hard time justifying what seems to pretty expensive single use items. i’d almost rather just buy equipment to make my people better.

The combat is getting hard for me. I seem to be outclassed in most battles now and unlike near the start of the game, it is pretty common for me to have 2-4 people injured in a battle.

Yes, you definitely need to build your party around mutually viable personalities. Of course, just because their traits line up doesn’t mean their individual peccadilloes and histories won’t fuck you.

From the descriptions, it seems that this game is just like Card Hunter, correct? I like the idea, but it does get boring after a while.

I haven’t enjoyed an RPG as much as this in a long time. Part of it is because I was born 10 minutes from the “city hall” shown. That’s the Alcazar de Colon. This is where Christopher’s son, Diego de Colon made his home. He was later appointed Viceroy of the Indies. It’s also called “Casa de Colon” or House of Columbus, but if you google that they show some museum in the Canaries.

It still looks like that! It still looks like the game shows, but they are missing a big river. I think they recently dredged it because now the river is big enough to dock cruise ships.

More trivia - the native Tainos really did have a female Cacique, Anacaona. They teach about her in school as a defiant amazon figure. Her and her brother were each in charge of one Cacique (out of five) when Columbus arrived. They all got killed of course.

Santo Domingo was the first big settlement of the Americas - the first University and first cathedral in the New World.

Combat is brutal. After the second rebel I put the difficulty down the Easy. I couldn’t bear to see the poor girl get cut open. I am not an iron man.

Get a doctor to rank 2. It’s a very good investment for 100 xp. It gets a second healing skill that also removes DOTs. Since they both have 2 turn cooldowns, you can continuously heal.
Flanking is a problem because it’s like Othello - if you flank someone you leave yourself open to be flanked in turn, unless you have obstructions on the other side.
I really like Walk it off for the hunters - with double shot your next shot will be +10%. It really adds up.

I’m playing a modern liberal - no racists and no religious people either. I just got permission to enter Mexico, I think no more Mr. Nice Guy. There is gold to be found!

LOL, you’re really living up to your name wisefool.

So what is everyone using as far as (optimal, assuming your best people are not injured) battle setup?

In my first game i was using 3 soldiers, 1 ranger, 1 doctor, 1 scout.

I started a new game though because in my first game, i let the game recommend me a party because i didn’t know what was going on. That left me with half my party hating whatever i did.

In my new game i think i might try 2 soldiers (halberd), 1 ranger (gun), 1 doctor (bow), 2 scout (sword/shield).

I prefer sword/shield to halberd for my meleers. I want them to have some staying power and i’ve liked being able to block attacks.

I prefer gun to bow, but i haven’t really tested it. I think gun does more damage but is less accurate, but not sure.

I think this game favors meleee a lot personally, which probably makes sense with the time period. Yes, you can do some serious damage with range, but if you can’t hold the melee line, your ranged is about as useful as an expedition with no rations. It is for this reason, i can’t really justify more than one ranger. The doctor also adds a little ranged damage, although my doctors miss ALL OF THE TIME. If healing wasn’t so nice, i would never take them to battle. Basically, everything is to support my melee line who do the bulk of the damage.

I am somewhat tempted to try out a scholar. Their debilitating effects sound interesting. HOWEVER, i don’t think the number of troops you can control and the survival time of units are high enough to justify such low debuff numbers.

I like soldiers. They are heavily armored and do good melee damage. I don’t think their ranged is that great though and i would give it up in a second if i could get more melee power. This is my hopeful idea in trading a soldier for a scout. I hope it will make me more mobile and deadly. I hope that i will be able to have my scouts flank the enemy more. Scouts do have worse armor though i think, which is something i worry about. Soldier abilities are also more my thing. Scouts seem to get abilities to flank and soldiers seem to get more front line meleer abilities like the wonderful stun.

oh and i just fought my first battle where the enemy had a doctor. Now i know how the enemy must feel with me healing my own soldiers up all of the time. Thankfully most of the enemies (natives) i’ve seen don’t have one. I hope for my sake that doesn’t change, but i bet it does.

It does make me kind of sad to see this game doesn’t seem that popular. I am not the hugest fan of turn based strategy (although i did buy shadowrun returns!), mostly preferring real time. However, i love the combat in this game and really like it in general.

Also, i just remember i got some kickstarter heirloom item. Need to go check that out. You must install this file prior to starting a game to get the item by the way.

Remember that scholars can do upgrades, so I’d have at least one. Also, in the first game I started, my doctor got sick and I didn’t have another doctor to heal her, so she died. Whoops. Now I pack along two doctors, just in case.