Expeditions: Rome demo out

So this is imminently releasing on Steam and there are some reviews out (apparently based on an earlier release date in some countries). What do folks think of the full game?

RPS likes it

Just saw a Fextralife video on it, and he also liked it. He liked the battles, the base development, and thought the large-scale battle mode was ok but was a bit put off by the abstract representation of the armies (squares/diamonds, etc, instead of character models).

One thing I learned is that even after you choose a subclass for your character, you can continue to put skill points in the other subclass trees (in which case it’s unclear to me what choosing the subclass does for you - maybe it gives you a special ability or some such?). However, the review also pointed out that you can’t respec your skill points, which always makes me nervous.

I was unfamiliar with this series prior to this review but it looks pretty interesting. Doubt I’ll get it when it releases but maybe down the line, or if there is some sort of bundle deal that includes all 3 of the games (since the prior two releases look worthwhile also).

I pre-ordered it. My wife likes to play rpg’s, but this will be the first one I have played in about three decades. This could be billed as the rpg game for people who do not like rpg games. I enjoyed the immersion into the Late Roman Republic and the strategic level of the game. If handled correctly this could be a monster breakthrough hit.

Wow this news came out of nowhere for me, didn’t even know it was in development. I loved both Expeditions games so I’ll be picking up this one for sure. And the setting is somewhat under represented in RPGs so that’s another bonus.

It bothers me to no end that the first NPC you come across pronounces “centurion” as “kenturion”.

edit: And the second NPC is apparently “Gaius Julius Kaesar.” Wonderful.

Ah, so pronouncing them correctly then. :p

Prekisely.

I’m glad it’s finally historical accuracy’s turn for once. Far too many years of Brutii and Scipii. :)

Yup, I just fact checked it, and in ancient Rome they spoke English but pronounced consonants weird. Historically accurate! Can’t wait to find out if it’s visually stunning and fun as well.

This trailer for it made me laugh:

So did this news about the developer:

That is too and really. I really enjoyed the demo for this. It felt like they were hitting their stride for this series.

I think I’ve finally come around to agreeing with Tom on the use of Rome as a setting in games.

I know what an NFT is but what is an NFT game and why would I want to play one? If the game play isn’t there, I’m certainly not going to care about any game related NFT’s, whatever those are.

I assume the idea is that the player will ‘own’ an NFT which they then use as a unique avatar/character in the game.

Aaaaaah crap. Well, I guess they’re following the opportunity to make money (NFTs being the novelty, there’s money to be had in that “field”), but that doesn’t make me very confident that the game will have proper post-launch support, which makes me less inclined to buy the game and/or support them.

It’s sad, really. Understandable, at a certain level - making a living making games isn’t exactly easy, and it’s hard to pass a chance to make some big bucks even if it’s with something as terrible as NFTs - but sad. Sigh.

Thats my thought as well - I was about to purchase it today, but I think I’ll wait…

You jest, but this is a recurring conundrum when using ancient languages in modern media - how to pronounce and present it to the viewers.

I recall in one of the early seasons of Vikings, when the Vikings arrive on an English beach, and they have the actors speaking 2 different languages, both subtitled in English, to represent the lack of understanding.

I thought it was very well done, can’t vouch for the accuracy though obviously.

Less well done imho was a scene from Spartacus with the Germanic gladiators all speaking what to my ear was pretty normal German lol.

And there is the ongoing challenge of reconstructing pronunciation. Afaik the main technique scholars use is to analyse known linguistic drift (i.e. that which can be proven) such as the divergence in English and German over pronouncing Apple/Apfel. Apparently they were the same word once, but in Britain we ended up emphasising the P and in Germany it softened to a pf sound.

Similar stories with gut/good, one/ein etc.

And then extrapolate that backwards to reconstruct an ancient language.

Now I see a big problem there with something like Latin, in that the descendant languages, although clearly related, often have very different pronunciations, so which thread to follow backwards? Italians don’t sound anything like Portuguese!

So, kudos to a studio for even hazarding a guess at latin pronunciations.

One of the few shows I’ve seen, that has actually tried using real latin, was Barbarians, a german show about Romes foray into Germania.

A great example is here

In classical Latin we have a large enough body of work remaining to be able to use direct sources as well to derive how it was pronounced. For example, common misspellings indicate a similarity of sound between the swapped letters.