Experience/advice with water distilling appliance?

For testing, you do have to specify for what you are looking; the CSI magic spectrograph that throws up wiggly lines that the cute scientist then interprets, "Hmm, selenium, strontium, unobtainium . . . " doesn’t exist. Well, you can do that for a few raw elements and whatnot, but not for more complicated molecules, and if you go looking for, say, lead in the water and only lead, then you don’t really know if you found raw particulate lead or lead as a part of some other molecule, it all burns/lenses the same. But as mentioned a common battery of tests couldn’t hurt.

I would really be leaning towards particulate heavy metal at this point. DI and filtering would both catch it, and since both work for her that would suggest something big enough to get caught in your less-than-laboratory filter, which wouldn’t be catching true soluble molecules, if I understand the limits correctly. Has she ever noticed a difference in hard/soft water? Maybe she just has an extreme sensitivity to alkalinity.

H.

Testing: Your local ag university extension service should be able to test it for you. I used Texas A&M’s after I could not get a quantitative fluoride concentration answer from the utility’s water lab when I was determining whether or not I should be getting my daughter fluoride supplements. The form I used: sample submission form which are measured by these techniques. Noticeably absent are hydrocarbons. I presume this is due to the fact that unless you have an idea what the hydrocarbon contaminants are it is very time consuming/expensive to ID hydrocarbons blind. You don’t know which column to use for GC and assigning the cracking fragments in MS is a bit hit and miss.

I looked at the filters you linked and, as it says, activated carbon will adsorb Cl and hydrocarbons (organic chemicals) and they will block the particles >10 microns. Given that your wife has decent results with this purification set up I would say that is a big clue to at least a few allergens. Also, does she react to bleach?

I hope I am helping more than confusing. I am a chemical engineer by education and had to deal with keeping the lab water purification system maintained in grad school. I don’t know what folk’s background is so I am not sure how detailed to get. However, I am at least 13 years rusty on having instant recall on RO, adsorbtion, distillation, and ion exchange. But, I have been trying to counter that by looking up things for a few hours before replying to the posts.

I had urticaria when I worked as a dishwasher when I was young. Since then it has flared up twice, including for the last month or so. The worst is when it is on the soles of my feet, because it then hurts to stand or walk. It’s like it’s buried under the skin too, so I can’t reach the itch to scratch. I’ve been rubbing my hands so much, that a few bits of skin sloughed off. I can’t really hide it because it is on my face and neck too. I have no idea what causes it.

:(