Explain Like I'm Five.

Seriously, though, that is between you and your faith, cause no one can know, but we can all make it up.

You know I am just teasing you, Perky. :)

These guys didn’t figure it out?

Is Alejandro G. Iñárritu Rama?

That’s way too brilliant for me to understand. The problem with QC is that you almost need to be a particle physicist to get it, but hey, at least academia should get some more respect - but probably not.

I’m sure you understand it better than me. This seems to be the money quote:

The tricky part, Mahadev realized, would be to get the quantum computer to commit to which state it was going to measure before it knew which kind of measurement the verifier would ask for — otherwise, it would be easy for the computer to fool the verifier. That’s where the secret-state method comes into play: Mahadev’s protocol requires the quantum computer to first create a secret state and then entangle it with the state it is supposed to measure. Only then does the computer find out what kind of measurement to perform.

So odd to think that the computer might fool the verifier. So she uses a secret state, which sounds like the Deep State, ha ha. And entanglement, which has also seemed like magic to me.

I know there are super smart aliens out there who would go, dude, we learned this stuff in middle school math. You humans are slow.

This was a pretty good article I found while I was in there “comprehending” that one.

Well, the basics are somewhat simple (after a lot of work making them understandable). IBM made a free online interface to a real QC with a nice tutorial and I thought it might be interesting to try.
It didn’t take that long for me to quit, it’s just a completely different way to think. Like, classic programming is just simple logic and math, QC has a lot of abstractions before you even do anything (which means I would need to read the links in the article first), and you can’t do half a thing and look. Maybe if it was practical, but it’s a way’s off for most things.

One last thought, this isn’t what the article is talking about, I just got it after unwinding (and it’s not a complicated idea, unlike the execution). It’s for the problems where you can’t easily check the solution that you submit to the future Amazon Quantum Cloud, but you still want a way to make sure it ran in a QC instead of the having the risk of the vendor lying to you and giving you a fake result that you can’t reasonable check.

Here is the classic ELI5 description of quantum computing.

I wouldn’t really equate them with penny stocks. Nor are they necessarily cheap, though they do tend to yield more than higher rated bonds. They are literally just bonds with a lower rating than investment grade bonds (BBB and above). They are also known as speculative grade (when referring to the rating) or high yield (referring to the market as a whole). The low rating isn’t necessarily because they’ve been downgraded. They could just be in a highly risky or leveraged business (eg oil exploration), be issued by relatively young companies, or have been issued to fund a leveraged buyout. Something like a fifth of all corporate bonds are junk bonds.

Contra the song, they are not something you can put in a briefcase. They are held in “dematerialised” form by a handful of clearing institutions. If you buy one, then your broker — a member of the clearing house — and the broker of the seller, will update its records, but the bond itself always sits with the clearing house.

Actually the suitcase is full of money. :) But many thanks for the further explanation.

No worries. Happy to answer any other bond-related questions.

I like Zevon, but in his rush to condemn the yuppifuication of the counterculture (it’s like, every other song of his…) he makes up argle-bargle bs about business (or drug smuggling “Gun, Lawyers, Money”) or whatever. It’s the business/crime version of technobabble.

Explain to me like I’m five: should I be trying to time the market by getting out of stocks when it looks like the Dow is going to crash, or should I just leave the money there? (~22 years to retirement, insh’Allah)

Haven’t read SMBC for a while, it’s great. I see I have the probability thing wrong.

I know it’s supposed to be a joke thread, but I wanted to try and explain QC as I understand it anyway. And I just got too much into it, because I had to think too hard. I was out of clever thoughts to reply to your question.

You are good…this week.

U.S. Stocks Rebound

U.S. stocks rebounded Friday, buoyed by a bounceback in consumer-technology companies and some better-than-expected third-quarter results.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/global-stocks-rebound-from-selloff-1539331959?mod=hp_lead_pos2

Now what about my retirement which I plan to invest completely in DERPSPACE ™ ?

Not to worry, DerpCoin™ is going to be the safest investment in the world.

Is DerpCoin ™ legal tender in DERPSPACE ™?

If you don’t have insider information, you can’t tell. I don’t think there’s much debate that individuals are way over-indebted everywhere and a big crash is inevitable somewhat soon, though. Exactly how and when is guesswork.
I’m curious if the crypto-currency cult will invest their money and make them stable enough to be a safer investment.