Explain your "handle"

I go by “MetroCube” in online games. MetroCube is the name of my cube at work. Metro because I work at Metrowerks, and Cube because I work inside a black cube. You see, after Motorola bought us, they took away my office and gave me a cubicle underneath some very bright lights and that pissed me off so I went to Home Depot and the University Co-op and turned my cubicle into an actual cube using wood, black foamcore, cereal box tops, and extra marketing materials.

I put in a disco ball and I hang old final candidate CDs from my ceiling. Two people can dance in there, but three can only hop up and down like the Peanuts.

When I feel like it, I remove some panels to make a window and enjoy a view overlooking our parking lot. I used to just remove the middle panel, but now I remove both because I started recognizing our female employees by the shape of their bust and sound of their shoes as they walked past my cube and didn’t think that was something worth boasting about at the company happy hours.

I created it when I was younger for an AD&D character and reincarnated it for the internet. It was completely unique up until fairly recently. A google search turns up several intances of it in various forms some that are me and some that aren’t.

– Xaroc

I think we need a picture, Roger :)

Yeah. A picture. Of the female coworkers’ busts.

Mine’s just a stupid pun with my last name, Schmidt. The other popular joke was that I should marry a girl named Holly.

Dave, I remember your name “ananab tilps” from long ago. I think I read about you on Stomped.com, did you win some Quake 3 tournament or something?

Had to come up with something when registering/posting here. I actually use a different pseudonym elsewhere. But here, well, yeah, nothing too special about the name…

Well I mostly use my real name (Daniel Ban) for net related stuff but when playing StarCraft on BNet I needed a nickname. Since I was reading the Bernard Cornwell military history series featuring Richard Sharpe at the time, I chose “Sharpe’s Rifles” (the name of the best book in the series IMO). That got shortened to just Sharpe after a while. Since then, Sharpe has been what I use for online gaming in most venues.

On this board I used my real name originally, since I had corresponded via usenet with various oldtimers here (using my real name) previously. Then with the new board I switched to Sharpe b/c I was heavy into MMOGs at the time. However, given the recent issues about “anonymous” post I now mostly use both with an AKA.

I could drop the Sharpe I suppose but most of my MMOG guild buddies know that name…

Dan (aka Sharpe)

Great movie! Woo!

Oh, my nick “voltaic”. Think electricity.

http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=voltaic

So, didja?

Perhaps it was a Myth: The Fallen Lords tournament. That’s the only single-player tournament I have won. Actually, the only team-based tournaments I have helped win were for Myth and Myth II, so if you’re remembering my handle in this context, it would have to be Myth.

My favorite game ever, and 2nd place isn’t even close enough to sniff its butt.

• Dave

Online names and handles tend to be like personalized license plates. Instead of being clever they become homages to just how geeky their owner is. Naming themselves after a character from Star Blazers, Star Wars, or something equally, well, boring. Or they’re obscure jokes only the user will get or references nobody understands.

I prefer people who take their own name and do something clever with it. It takes imagination and thought! And that’s why I tease people who have ready made cool Internet handles and don’t use them. I’m talking to you William Harms! :wink: I use Hubbub because I was born into it and, well, public school just exhausted all the funny out of goddamn bubblegum jokes.

PS: I’ve always admired Atwood for choosing Wumpus. It’s really the perfect handle for an Internet Troll of his ability. The problem is, he is a Wumpus that unlike the original game, cannot be Wumped.

PSS: Thanks Sparky for posting the game link. Got one for “Spider Fighter”?

Ahhh…what the hell. DeanCo is an international conglomerate. Currently we are one of the major world players in International Communication Services and After-Market Parameter Analysis.

Our motto: “DeanCo: Where Quality Is Just A Slogan”.

DeanCo–

I think my nick conforms to the Andrew Bub Internet Naming conventions. I might have to get a judgement on it though.

I’m too lazy to try to type the proper capitalization each time I log in, but I should technically use NiFe2O4 or Nickel-Iron Oxide, the chemical formula for my favorite mineral-Trevorite.

Since I have a degree in Geology, I thought it would be an appropriate nick, and I’ve never seen anyone else try to use it.

-Trevor

Your nickname does conform

But man o’ man does it also fit the geek/obscure/personalized license plate criterion too. I think you should just go with Trevorite, but I applaud you for throwing the periodic table at your enemies.

Speaking of the Andrew Bub Internet Naming conventions-- When I first heard you mention that Andrew, I thought of this story:

My wife uses her maiden name. At work one day she needed a password so she used her first initial and my last name. As it turns out, her “secret” password became something everyone in the office used. After a while, the group lost track of the fact that Holly had made up the password and then one day at a meeting someone wondered aloud who had chosen this particularly “demonic” sounding passowrd: helhajj

Ha! Every now and again I use that nick, but I usually prefer to just use my name.

Tim Elhajj

Well, sometimes people at work call me Mice-K.

My last name is Murphy, and somewhere along the way (Jr. High?), some of the guys started calling me ‘Murph.’ I generally hated it at the time, because most of them were jerks, and so it carried a negative connotation. When I went to create a “nickname” here, it just seemed right, and now several of my closest friends call me that, as well. So, I guess it was just meant to be.

My favorite that I’ve seen was c19h28o2 – the chemical formula for testosterone. My physics teacher had it on the back of his boat. I’m pretty sure he’s not online much, but I’ve seen that name here and there, and always wonder if it’s him.

Trevor, and I always thought it was “nife 2 of 4”… Some kind of “7 of 9” type reference…

I use “DennyA” since I’ve been online since Internet was a vast, redundant array of tin cans, strings, and 110 baud modems. Back when I first started posting to discussion groups (on the old MECC educational computers in 1979), nobody used nicknames.

In games, I use “Mitty,” which was bestowed upon me in true fighter pilot fashion (IE: You don’t get to pick your own call sign) after I did a CNN/Computer Life piece where I flew flight sims with the Blue Angels a number of years back. If I’m playing a multiplayer game where that name isn’t appropriate to the role-playing, I use the more classic-sounding “Mittius.”

‘Itsatrap’ comes from playing strategy games with my buddies. I was fond of setting ambushes, and eventually the running joke was that every move I made was part of some elaborate trap.

• Alan

Alan, just so you know I’ve always read your Internet handle using Admiral Ackbar’s voice. I guess that wasn’t intentional on your part.

Yeah, that’s sort of a bonus effect. I occasionally use an image of Admiral Ackbar as an avatar icon on forums that support it. I’ve even got the the corresponding sound file squirreled away somewhere on my hard drive.

I mean, Fuck Star Wars™ and all that, but it’s still a trap. heh

• Alan