Exploring the idea of getting a 2-in-1

That’s why that Costco bundle is so good when it’s on sale. Surface Pro 7 (8/128), type cover, and stylus for $799.99.

Yes that is far more palatable. Surface pro can take a sdcard also to hold media and such so 128gb isn’t too bad.

Costco also gets your their concierge service, which is free technical support, as well as 2 years warranty from date of purchase.

Can I even make use of that if I don’t have a Costco membership, though?

Yes, but they will charge a 5% surcharge. Membership is only $60/year, may be worth it for you. Or you can have a friend buy it who’s a member and pay them back.

Totally viable to play 2D games on it in laptop mode. 3D performance is pretty anemic, especially with the high resolution, but I always have more than enough 2D indie stuff I want to play that it hasn’t been an issue.

Touchscreen gaming is more of a mixed bag. Lots of games rely on right-clicks or mouseovers, and don’t play well with finger input. Using the stylus helps for some, but not all.

Costco does have the Surface Pro 7 (i7/16/256) bundle for $300 off right now. $1,299. Although, the downside of the i7 is that it’s a minor performance boost at best, and, worst, it includes a fan. The i5 is fanless.

https://www.costco.com/new-microsoft-surface-pro-7-bundle---10th-gen-intel-core-i7---2736-x-1824-display---windows-10---black.product.100512541.html

I’ve had any number of 2-in-1s in my time.

I always figured that sort of thing was profoundly homoerotic. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

They were all MMF. AND I WAS THE F.

So, thanks to an unexpected infusion of birthday cash, I ended up ordering this one. Thanks to everyone for their help with all this!

My OG Surface Book is getting a bit long in the tooth. It’s 5 years old. The battery is decent, but nowhere what it used to be. It’s annoying hearing the fans kick in when watching video. I can’t help but wonder how much performance was lost with all those CPU security mitigations.

Microsoft has a Surface Pro 7 i5/8/128 with your choice of Alcantara Type Cover for $799. And they have a trade-in program that offered me $250 for my Surface Book.

Done! Should get here Wednesday.

I’m going from my 2c/4t Skylake i5 (14nm) to a 4c/8t Ice Lake i5 (10nm) with much better graphics and video performance. And the latter is passively cooled!

I think you’ll be pleased with the results. I really like mine, but I’m increasingly convinced that the 16 GB of RAM are actually overkill considering the rest of the hardware and I’d have been fine with the 8/128 model. No regrets, though, it’s a great little device.

Yeah, I used to have a Surface Pro 3, and I really liked the form factor. But it was the low-end Haswell i3 with 4GB of RAM, so it was sluggish at times This SP7 is light years ahead in terms of CPU and graphics.

Boo, the i5 with 16GB is $1200 base without the cover still?

I’d still hit it, if I were in the market for a Windows development machine. That’s fast enough to work on.

Typing this on my new Surface Pro 7. Getting all the updates and all my stuff installed. It is really nice having a totally silent Windows laptop. Definitely a lot more responsive than my old Surface Book. The only downside is I’ve got about 75GB of SSD left after everything is installed, but I knew that going in. I’ll have to heavily rely on OneDrive and cloud-based stuff.

I’m assuming that, like mine, yours has a microSD card slot hidden under the fold-out stand on the back. You can easily get another 256 GB of storage going there.

Yeah, but read/write speeds are really slow compared to NVMe. And my experience with my SP3’s microSD slot was that the card disappeared from the system every now and then.

Got it. Still, for raw storage it’s better than nothing.

Of course, got the new Costco mailer yesterday for the upcoming specials starting June 24, and the $799 Surface Pro bundle is coming back. $799 gets you the Surface Pro i5 8/128, a type cover, and a pen!

The $799 bundle I just bought from Microsoft was for the Surface Pro and the Type Cover. I had to pay extra for the pen. But I’m still coming out ahead due to the $250 trade-in on my old Surface Book.