External hard drive advice

So I’ve decided I should get a couple of 250GB external USB hard drive enclosures to setup my backup system; I’ll alternate one in storage with one sitting on the box.

Any recommendations on what enclosure to get? Does it literally not matter? There’s zillions on pricewatch.

Is this a religious question?

Give him a break, folks, 'cause it’s a struggle for him NOT to post in P&R – a struggle he often loses.

You don’t backup, yet you’re trying to say this is some sort of failure on the part of Bush and his cronies? C’mon. Your tenuous Iraq/USB connection is moonbat liberalism at its worst.

I think Jason wants external hard drives so he can ditch them easy when the Feds show up.:)

I wonder how linoleum will pin the lack of backups on Clinton.

You are all so mean.

Actual external drives can come pretty cheap, and may be less of a hassle.

If you can possibly wait a month, do so. Maxtor is prepping a 1 TB external drive with 2 x 500GB mechanisms. Can be set up as a 1TB RAID 0 array or 500GB RAID 1 array. Supports USB 2.0 and Firewire 800.

Just be aware that many external enclosures have no power management functions, and thus keep the drive spinning all the time, reducing its lifespan. Not usually the sort of thing you want happening in a backup drive.

I got a random one for a media drive. Works fine.

What is this, some kind of liberal lefty code?

Not fair, I say, not fair at all!

Yawn.

It also makes the drive more susceptible to damage by accidental movement or voltage spikes. Get a box with a separate power switch if possible.

The Maxtor, Seagate and Western Digital external drives I’ve tested both have power management, and spin down after a time.

The Seagate 400 that I have spins down after what seems like less than a minute, and then has to immediately spin back up again every time it’s accessed. Annoying.

Very funny. Thanks. :)

Typical. Can’t back up your need to backup with facts, so you duck and run.

Where are some stats about backups in red vs. blue states? (Trick question: they don’t have 'puters in red states.)

Typical. Can’t back up your need to backup with facts, so you duck and run.

Where are some stats about backups in red vs. blue states? (Trick question: they don’t have 'puters in red states.)[/quote]

They’re called slot machines.

Please, we don’t need that kind of smut here.

BTW, Jason, I have a Maxtor external drive that I use for backup, but I back up, and then disconnect it, therefore no problem with excessive wear on the HDD.

Not sure if that is the type of backup you are talking about, but…