Eye of Judgment PS3

Okay, I have to admit I kind of like the idea of this, even though I’ve never played a CCG and would typically shy away from them because they are just too damn geeky (unlike a lot of my US counterparts, I have no pen-and-paper/boardgame roots).

So I guess a camera (EyeToy?) reads the barcode data on the card as you place it on the board and the cards “come alive” on screen. Fun! I can almost see myself playing it, if I could find anyone else willing to do something this geeky, which frankly seems unlikely.

Video:
http://www.playbeyond.jp/main.html?item=item12

But…why not just have the card game completely within the electronic game itself? It’s sort of a neat gimmick, but pretty pointless.

Sounds like someone isn’t familiar with how Wizards of the Coasts made its vast wealth. :)

-Tom

Making it purely electronic doesn’t eliminate the possibility of selling booster packs, expansion sets, etc. M:tG Online does that, right?

Yeah, MTG online mirrors the paper game pretty precisely, except you don’t get a discount when buying bulk. I was going to make a snarky reply to Tom’s snarky reply along these lines, but I pussed out because I was afraid Tom might be mean to me.

Actually, good point. I should go do a ninja admin edit to my post. That’ll show you guys.

-Tom

Thinking about it more - if they do sell booster packs and expansions sets and what have you, they can only use art assets that are already on the game disc, if it’s not online-enabled. Unless, of course, you have to buy an expansion game disc as well, the idea of which immediately makes me flinch.

I did watch the video, and I admit it looks pretty cool, but once the “Wow!” phase wears off I’m not sure what the whole setup adds to the game.

I suspect it will be online-enabled, so that any physical cards that are released will be mirrored and supported by an online update. Or they could just sell a booster deck with an update disc included.

That looks extremely cool. If they make it seamless, it could prove attractive to CCG players as well as those who have previously not had an interest in that sort of game, as it brings a bit of the “star wars hologram table chess” fantasy to life in a different sort of way. Mingling the physical with the digital (rather than just punting and replicating the whole thing digitally) is intriguing, if it isn’t more of a pain than it’s worth.

I have to agree with the ‘it’s a gimmick’ statement, even though this looks gorgeous and nifty in an it-would-be-cool-to-see-it-in-a-movie-but-not-play-it-a-lot-in-real-life sort of way.

The thing is, if it’s a cardboard-only or digital-only CCG, it might have an actual shot of succeeding, even if it starts at a disadvantage (due to card real-estate and attractiveness being eaten up by the arrows, barcodes, etc.)

But if it requires both cardboard and digital materials, it has no chance in hell.

Even if it can play on its own in pure-cardboard form, I have a hard time believing that this gimmick will add to the longevity of this product. Sure, some geeks will pick it up out of novelty, but that won’t build a long-term playerbase.

What will make or break the game over the long-term (i.e. after core set and 1 or 2 expansions) is whether or not it’s a good CCG. And frankly, most gimmicky CCG’s are bad.

Besides, why would I want to involve a TV, a $600 console, and a webcam just to play a cardboard CCG? Why would I want to involve physical cards and a webcam to play a digital CCG? This seems to incorperate the worst of both worlds, just for a flashy special effect.

This is rediculously cumbersome, and severely limits the real-world environments that the game can be played in. This is just plain silly in terms of real-world usability.

Yeah, to me it just screams “company that doesn’t understand new technology but wants to jump on new technology buzzword bandwagon.” It reminds me of those magazine ads that had a barcode you could scan (somehow) and it would take you to a webpage. It’s the classic “halfway between old world and new, and worse than either” solution. The only weird thing is that videogames, and even electronic CCGs, are not new. Even just the idea of having awesome graphical cutscenes in a CCG seems gimicky to me. It’s the sort of feature most players will turn off after the first day, because it gets in the way of the game.

“Rediculously cumbersome” is Final Fantasy Christal Chronicals. Jeez how many people played that game to its full potential.

Is that the one where you had to plug four Game Boys into your GC?

Yep. Four GBA’s each with their own GBA-GC cable. There’s a picture with 5 televisions with “Gameboy Players” to take the place of the GBA’s. It was insane.

I actually played that a couple of times. The Zelda game too.

And I think this is rediculously cumbersome…

The funny thing about Crystal Chronicles is that the thing that kept me from playing it wasn’t the GBA requirement but the fact that it was reported to suck single player. I have enough trouble finding time to play games as it is, getting more than one other person there with me is a semi-annual event.

Here’s the thing. I could see this being the #1 seller in Japan. You’ve got all these shows there based on card properties (or vice-versa) and this is the only game I’ve ever seen that comes remotely close to the experience portrayed in the tv shows.

While I think this looks really darned cool, why in the heck didn’t they sell the tech/buy the license to put this technology together with the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise?

This is one of the few PS3 games that really intrigues me, but like others I worry it may end up simply a novelty.

You guys suck all the joy out of life. This is easily–easily–the coolest PS3 exclusive that I’ve seen.

Heh. I wish I could agree with you.

Just out of curiosity, do you mean ‘coolest’ in a purely tech-demo sense, or in the “I actually want to play this a lot” sense?

I’d agree with you on the former, but I’ll be damned if I’d want to play the damn thing for any length of time. It’s a strategy game that manages to waste a bunch of your time with setup hassle, platform/setting limitations, and flashy graphics effects. Which in the end just takes away from your ability to, you know, play the strategy game.

I played this at E3. I like card games and yes the cards to come to life, but that’s it. Once you actually put the card down it goes into a prerendered battle simulation you already know the winner of based on the card’s power. Unfortunately there is very little “video” game to this.That said. The idea behind this was very cool and I would love to see it implemented like the arcade games in Japan