Eyeglasses, corrective vision surgery, and other eyeball technology

Looking at source code on a 4k monitor requires me to bump the font size a little bit otherwise it is a bit of a strain on my eyes, but other than that things are going well. I had a pretty bad prescription prior to the surgery, so the lasik was probably some of the best money I’ve ever spent.

@scottagibson Yeah, the problem is there is only so much material to work with. I’m surprised they haven’t come up with a way to add material yet.

I never did Lasik because I was told I would still need glasses to read with. Since I have used glasses since I was in elementary school it just didn’t seem like much of a deal.

I had worn glasses since 1st grade… so about 7 years old.

Single greatest purchase of my life. Had it now for 4 years and still going strong. Swimming is enjoyable again, getting up at night… just not dealing with dirty glasses or contacts and contact solution or any of the other stuff that goes into crap eyesight.

Same - whats the point of Lasik if I’ll need reading glasses in a few years anyway? Plus risk problems with night vision! Its really not that big a deal to wear a pair of glasses…

Donald Trump’s need for glasses has resulted in much wisdom, @Clay. This topic was perfectly cromulent to that thread, you monster.

EDIT: Eeek, we’re in Everything now. Sorry.

We Have Traveled In Time!

I figured that some non-Politics folks might want to tell you about their eyeballs and hear about yours.

My eyeballs bring all the boys to the yard.

Depends how bad your eyes are. I started wearing glasses when I was five. My prescription was -13, so they were coke bottles. I couldn’t wear contacts anymore as they were too uncomfortable.

I couldn’t get LASIK because -13. Instead I got implanted contact lenses (ICL). It’s similar to cataract surgery. The doctor just gave me monovision, where one eye is used for distance and one eye for reading. Works out pretty well. If I’m doing a ton of reading I put on my bi-focals. And when I drive or really care about what’s on the TV I’ll put them on. But the other 95% of my life I’m glasses-free. I told the doctor I spend the majority of my time in front of the computer, so that’s the primary vision solution I was looking for, and it worked out great.

It took my brain about nine months to figure out the monovision thing, but otherwise I couldn’t be happier with the results.

^ This. I also was coke bottles. To be able to go to 20/10 20/20 after years of that was amazing. My surgery was in 2004, so it has been 15 years now since I’ve had glasses.

I got PRK about 18 months ago and it’s been great overall. I have noticed that my nightvision is a bit worse than it was presurgury but not being limited by glasses has been a godsend.

Note: I was actually a prime candidate for LASIK but opted for PRK primarily due to a slightly lower risk of major side-effects. The recovery time sucks though (it’s about 4 weeks to fully heal instead of a few days)

Also one thing to call out for folks who are considering it is to see if your job has a LPFSA that you can fund for this - that will allow you to pay for the surgery w/ pre-tax dollars which basically means a 30% discount.

I was 48 when I had to deal with inability to focus for reading. I got progressives. They took a little getting used to but is nicer than lines on bifocals.

I have been using blue-blocking computer glasses for years. They also have slight magnification. They more or less cured the eyestrain issues I was having: