F*cking-Dead-f*cking-f*ck-wood-f*cking-f*ckity-f*ck

Can you elaborate?

I’ve noticed a really large amount of overlap between L&O and HBO series in general. I’ve seen cast members from Oz, The Wire, and Sopranos on L&O incarnations (and I just saw DeAngelo on a CSI:NY).

Congratulations, that was the point - iambic pentameter is blank verse, it isn’t “almost” blank verse. And iambic pentameter doesn’t have to rhyme, nor does blank verse have to be in iambic pentameter. I was merely pointing out that what blank verse is in Deadwood is in the form of iambic pentameter.[/quote]

And my whole comment was that the dialogue overall was “almost” blank verse. Meaning that some of it is, and some of it isn’t. Your comment didn’t make this “point” clear at all, btw.

To get this thread back to vulgarity, where it belongs, it occurs to me that in the second episode I heard the term…ahem…blowjob.

Now aside from the many problems with the term itself, I have a very hard time believing that this term is period. As I’ve mentioned above, I’m not sure this matters–as a writer you make certian compromises and sacrifices–I just find it interesting.

I do hesitate to bring this up, because I think I’m about to post about oral sex on another thread, but oh well.

Go on about your pentametering.

“If you haven’t gotten a blowjob from a superior officer, you’re just letting an opportunity pass you by.”

-Amanpour

Rather unsurprisingly, I got a lot of pages that were unrelated to the etymology of the word Blowjob. Not that I’m COMPLAINING, mind.

Can you elaborate?

I’ve noticed a really large amount of overlap between L&O and HBO series in general. I’ve seen cast members from Oz, The Wire, and Sopranos on L&O incarnations (and I just saw DeAngelo on a CSI:NY).[/quote]

I haven’t checked - sometime this can be a result of casting agencies or particular agents as much as anything.

In the case of HBO, they like to develop talent then use them later should the case warrant; a lot of actors in The Wire come from Oz or The Corner (in fact, some of the same characters come from The Corner).

— Alan

What actors in The Wire came from Oz? The only one I noticed was Bodie.

Is Shakespeare “almost” blank verse, then? Because some of Romeo and Juliet is, but then again, some of it isn’t! You’ll forgive me if I thought what you meant was something a tad less bizarre than what you apparently did mean. Namely, I thought you meant that Deadwood was “almost” blank verse because it sounded like it, but you weren’t actually sure if it specifically met the metrical parameters of blank verse proper, when what you really meant was that the parts where Charlie Utter is drunkenly muttering about how he accidentally shit himself when taking a piss was not actually delivered center-stage in rousing iambic pentameter.

So, to clarify, before you started calling me “genius” (thanks, by the way!) I was merely trying to assure you that Deadwood did indeed qualify as blank verse, not according to some maximum poetic homogeneity theory that you dreamed up when you subsequently got pissy, but by the same standards people generally use when they describe a Shakespeare play as being written in blank verse.

Daniels, for one. Played the cop who was jailed… not sure the circumstances or what happened to him, looked like he was either in a separate small wing or an isolation wing or something.

— Alan

Oh right. I remember him now. He was an undercover cop who went in to try to break up Adebisi’s gang and ended up doing drugs himself and ultimately killing an inmate, hence his inprisonment in the small wing.

On the re-casting front: Wolcott is the same actor who played the droopy-lidded poker-drunk who shot Hickok in season 1. I still don’t recognize it, even after re-watching the first 4 eps of season one.

Tom Fontana produced Oz and Homicide: Life on the Street.

Really? To me it was so obviously him that I found it annoying to the point of distraction.

Of course, I knew he was coming back in another role from the DVD commentary but everyone on the DVD kept going on about how completely different he looked. I was shocked when he first showed up because to me he looked like exactly the same guy only with clean clothes, a beard and no droop eye. Even the affectations seem similar to me.

Really? To me it was so obviously him that I found it annoying to the point of distraction.

Of course, I knew he was coming back in another role from the DVD commentary but everyone on the DVD kept going on about how completely different he looked. I was shocked when he first showed up because to me he looked like exactly the same guy only with clean clothes, a beard and no droop eye. Even the affectations seem similar to me.[/quote]

Well, there’s only so much you can do to change someone’s look. My only issue is that I hated the first character for killing Will Bill, so it’s taken awhile to hate the second on his own merits.

Funny – I almost said something along those exact lines :wink:

Yup. Even now, I feel like the two characters are different heights. I never even had a nagging feeling they were the same actor.