F.E.A.R. Online announced

Yeahhhh… Apparently it’s being developed by a Korean company and will be F2P.

SANTA CLARA, Calif. – July 25, 2013 – Face your fear together with friends in F.E.A.R. Online! Aeria Games, a leading global publisher of free-to-play online games, announced today the upcoming brand-new installment in the popular horror FPS series. Developed by Korean company Inplay Interactive and being brought to the United States by Aeria Games, the new chapter in the F.E.A.R. saga will deliver hardcore multiplayer shooting action while furthering the dark and ominous story surrounding Alma Wade.

“We are thrilled to present the next entry in one of the most popular horror franchises of the last decade,” said Tom Nichols, Vice President of PC Games, Aeria Games. “F.E.A.R. Online will bring back the tense, heart-pounding action that the series is known for and make it accessible to a huge online community of competitive players.”

F.E.A.R. Online will focus on several team combat modes spanning over ten ominous maps packed with grotesque details such as still-twitching bodies hanging from meat hooks and messages smeared in blood. The battle rages between Armacham Technology Corporation (ATC) and the elite F.E.A.R. team. F.E.A.R. 3’s unique Soul King mode also makes a return, challenging players to possess enemies for new abilities and collect more fallen souls than their opponents.

The story also continues in cooperative scenarios that detail the terrifying occurrences surrounding the F.E.A.R. team parallel to the events of F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin. Up to four players can team up and fight for their lives against both hostile Armacham personnel and hideous monsters lurking around every corner.

F.E.A.R. Online will be free to download, and like all Aeria Games titles, will be free-to-play. Brave players can sign up for closed beta now at http://fearonline.aeriagames.com. Stay alert for news, events, and updates at F.E.A.R. Online’s Facebook page.

This makes me sad. I loved the original F.E.A.R.; it was a well-constructed shooter with some fantastic horror elements that had me jumping at shadows for a while after. The series has gone downhill a lot since then and this seems to be the death knell, finally.

How is a mass-multiplayer shooter going to successfully emulate horror? Prediction: it won’t.

Don’t jump to conclusions.
I for one AM horrified that FEAR is being turned into yet another F2P multiplayer shooter - doesn’t that count?

rezaf

Fair enough, friend! It seems they’ve succeeded before they’ve even started; I guess we can start throwing money at them now?

This sounds awful.

I guess publishers are so afraid of supporting new IP that we get…this.

Awww, you didn’t like F.3.A.R.? I really liked the third one. Along with The Darkness II, I think it was one of those underrated shooters that had a vivid sense of identity and unique gameplay.

But, yeah, this free-to-play thing seems sad and desperate.

-Tom

Fair cop: I never played F.3.A.R.. I played the second one and was pretty disappointed, and then the premise of the third never really caught my attention enough to warrant a closer look. Maybe I’ll give it another chance if I can borrow a copy from a friend but, frankly, I’m not sure I’m willing to give it the time.

The first game, on the other hand, was a masterpiece of horror balanced with shooter action. It marked the first time my friends and I got together for our semi-regular “Scary Game Night”; a bunch of folks get together, one person brings a creepy game to play through, we designate a player for the evening, make some popcorn, and then watch the player go through the game. We share the scares and enjoy the company and have a good time. F.E.A.R. was the first game we played and I was the first player for it. Went through the whole game in one sitting. Man, was that a good night. (Though, I admit, I nearly had a panic attack during one of the scares. Actually had to take a break from a combination of exhaustion and terror. True story.)

Or maybe just the 10000th cubicle pushed you over the edge.

Korean MMOs pop up all the time and are universally safe to completely ignore.

I suppose that’s the final nail in the coffin, then. FEAR 3 was pretty awful if your primary interest in the series was the creepy horror bits.

Fthreear is the scariest experience since Sesevenen!

groan (at the above poast and at the general concept).