Fable Fortune: the CCG that lets you be good or evil...

Played through the tutorial, and I pretty much agree with @Wendelius. Not much to add. I do like the idea of the co-op mode, which is nearly nonexistent in most online CCGs. Hearthstone does it occasionally in Tavern Brawls, but having it as a on-going play mode is a new twist. Haven’t yet had a chance to play it yet, though, because the game crashed when I tried. Hooray, bugs!

Faeria, which I think is very good, has a whole co-op campaign thing. That I haven’t gotten to try because @Jason_McMaster can’t be bothered to play it with me. :(

-Tom

Oh? I wasn’t aware of the co-op mode. I backed Faeria. Played it a bit during beta and then forgot to ever get back to it.

It has a steeper learning curve than my current other CCGs and I didn’t feel I would be competitive at either the strategic layer or deck building for a long time.

I did like what the team was doing though. Thanks for reminding me I should give it another try.

Good question @jameslewiz. The game is charming, but it is not as polished as Hearthstone.

Have you played any other collectible card games (CCGs) before? If so the tutorial should be good enough to get you started. From there, you can play the easy then hard solo mode which lets you try out premade decks.

You can also use the list I made above if you need to refer to what the abilities do.

If you have never played Hearthstone or another CCG and it all feels a bit much, I nearly recommend downloading Hearthstone and going through that tutorial. It’s also free to play and the tutorial has got a lot more information and guidance. The names for the abilities change, but the concepts remain the same. But that’s a whole another game to download to learn this one.

That said, maybe the Fable Fortune devs have put up some additional tutorial videos on YouTube? I can’t easily check from work, but worth a look?

One important thing: if you go through all the solo mode games and the heroic tales, you will get a good amount of free packs and in game currency to get you started.

Edit: so what happened to the new poster who asked the question? Did he start spamming elsewhere? Because here, he simply asked a question and thanked me for my answer afterwards. I’m surprised his posts suddenly completely disappeared…

I’ll totally play it with you

Yeah, he asked a few badly worded questions on topics, trying to advertise some shredder site.

I appreciate the extra info though!

Ah, pity.

One other interesting thing I realised today is that the game also has versions on Xbox and the Windows 10 store. While you can’t share account and card collection between Steam and Windows, if you play on Win 10 and Xbox, you will be able to play on the same account and share the same cards. So I’ll park my Steam version and use those clients instead.

If anyone wants to try a match (co-op or PvP) playing a Live account, I’ll be happy to give it a try.

I was able to get the co-op to work after my initial client crash. I like it, seems fairly challenging and they seem to rotate events since I already see a new one that wasn’t around yesterday. I’m “ineffablebob” if anyone wants to add me to friends list, and I’d be happy to try a co-op game or two.

I like that you get quite a few packs, at least in the early going, so that you can make improvements to the base decks. So far I think I’ve gotten one after every game, even losses. There’s some sort of progression mechanism in each play mode, but thus far I haven’t paid much attention to it.

The good-vs-evil mechanic in each game is pretty cool. As far as I can tell there’s nothing more permanent that carries over outside of individual games, but there are cards that change based on which side you choose. So you could build a deck with cards that synergize best when you go to one side or the other.

I like the game so far, but my God how I hate the Windows 10 Store.

You only need to deal with the Windows store once when downloading the game. It’s no big deal.

I’ve now completed all the hard mode training fights (ie beaten the AI with every class) and am starting the Heroic Tales.

One question: are the co-op fights played with premade decks or with player built ones? I didn’t want to commit to one and waste my fellow player’s time if it requires a decent player built deck.

I like the game enough that I’m likely going to pay £9.99 for the 20 starter packs. Always fun to get in when almost everybody is still experimenting with decks.

For those playing on Win 10/Xbox Live, I’m Wendelius there. Not sure how to add friends. But I’m happy to play a match with or against you.

In the one against the undead dude that’s running right now, you can choose your own deck. I won it once with a starter deck, but lost several. It’s definitely easier if you play with a deck you’ve built for co-op. There are even some cards that give bonuses to your partner. I don’t have many cards yet but I built a deck where I basically just took a pre-built and threw in some cards that looked handy for co-op, and it’s worked OK for me.

There’s also a limited time cop-op event called Wild Cards running right now. Not sure if that one works the same way or has pre-built decks. Edit: Yep, same deal, choose your own deck.

Thanks for the answer. I built an alchemist deck with lots of buff cards and took on the 2 days event with another player (on easy). Fun match and nice rewards too (2 packs, some special cards and coin…). And it let me complete one of my daily quests.

I’m going to play a few more. Those co-op matches are a nice diversion.

I’ve enjoyed this enough over the last couple of days that I decided to drop the $12.99 on the starter bundle. Less for the actual cards, though those are nice of course, but more to show support to the game.

Was able to complete the short co-op challenge with every class. My understanding is that you need to win on Hard mode with every class to get full rewards, indicated by the little icons under each class. There are two of those icons for each, and you only get one for regular mode, but both for Hard. I tried Regular mode twice, but it didn’t fill in the second icon. So it seems the best way is just to go for Hard right off the bat - maybe you get lucky and win; if not you learn, tweak, and try again.

@LordGek and I just now completed the festival co-op campaign (not the graveyard one) on Hard and discovered the same thing. I used all of the default decks, while LG used a custom deck only for the Knight, I think. So for those concerned about having to create a custom deck for that campaign (which expires in a couple days), know that deault decks are more than capable of winning it.

It looks like they’re taking at least 1 bit from the standard CCG playbook in any of these class based games in that many of each classes’ basic cards, not even available in boosters, you can only unlock by sufficiently leveling up that character.

Thanks for the info. I just completed all the easy mode games for the co-op challenge ending in 2 days. It was all pretty easy. One of them even had the other player passing every turn for some reason. Guess he hadn’t liked one of my plays or something. :)

Good to know hard mode is doable too. That will be my goal tomorrow. Having fun in co-op has granted me another 10 packs or so and some more cards. That’s nice. I’m starting to feel like I can have a look at building decks now.

Haha, nothing like noticing a thread about a game you never heard of before, but might be interested in, has been bumped… only to see the bump is announcing its shutdown.

/walks quietly away

shame really because it was quite competent and I felt the morality part really added to the game.

I had this exact same thought - seeing the art and the game upthread made me excited this might have come out of early access or something, only to find out the ship sailed and left me on the docks!