Facebook QT3 Group

What’s with the “full name” thing? Doesn’t Facebook respect monikers?

Also, is the site actually suitable for non-fling dating?

Actually, I’m only considering joining because I got an invite from some HS alumni I actually like, the day before Kunikos created this thread. Edit: I mean, both groups are appealing.

I’m using facebook with a lot of friends and ex-coworkers to keep in touch. It’s turning out to be relatively handy. It’s UI is crap though.

Eh, I find it more manageable compared to Myspace, since shit on MySpace is just clutter now, what with too much customization.

The thing about MySpace that pisses me off is the corporate influence that they’ve been gaining over the past two years. They’re totally McGriddling the front page with animated background images from movies and bullshit like that, and letting corporations register profile pages (which were originally meant for … you know… A REAL PERSON) for a video game, movie, or corporate entity.

I’m sure I could dig around and find stats if I was really bothered, but anecdotal evidence suggests it to be the case. In the last few months I have had a ton of friendship requests from people I used to be at high school/college with in the UK, all of whom are well past that stage now.

Their uptake might be slower in the US thanks to the ubiquity of MySpace, but I still think they’re growing significantly here. In the UK, from what I can tell they are growing exponentially.

I think Facebook is popular among certain circles; my friend in Japan says all his friends use it there.

College kids use it, because of the group functions. Its a lot less hard to find groups in Facebook than it is in Myspace (Which, coincidently, has like, 85 different groups dedicated to The Gorillaz, all of which have like, 3 people in them each).

In Facebook, it takes your school, makes a group dedicated to JUST THAT SCHOOL, and then allows you to befriend your classmates. Its just out and out easier.

There are groups like “I Facebook 'til 3 am… during finals”

Yeah, but there’s lots of great features like that. Creating events for parties and such works really well. The photo albums and the ability to tag people in pictures works famously. Facebook continues to innovate on ways to interact and share where MySpace has been a static disaster of marketing, spam and deathtml. I don’t use facebook to troll for ass, but I do flirt with girls I already know. It’s actually helped me make a lot of friends at school and keep in contact with them over the summer, breaks and after graduation. Frankly, it’s just cool to click the wall to wall link and see an entire record of my friendship with somebody. I was worried when Facebook opened the network up to the public, but they have a remarkable level of control over the system such that I’ve never been spammed at all.

Lots of them. We all waste a ton of time seeing facebooking when we should be cramming or writing papers.

One of the pleasures of growing older is that you can act more and more like a curmudgeon who doesn’t understand what these crazy kids are up to.

I don’t know what “facebooking” is, and I refuse to find out.

Facebooking is like baking a delicious cake. Baking a delicious cake, and setting it on the table for any of your friends to eat. Then taking slices of the delicious cake around to people you know to make sure that they get some, too. Then controlling all of their minds with the secret formula that you put into the delicious cake recipie. Then making your mind-controlled minions shuffle down to their local bakery to buy you muffins. Lots and lots of muffins.

Also, there are ninjas.

I’ve approved a bunch more requests. Check your account, you should be in if you sent a request.

I have a facebook listing because most of my students use it. I only opened it to join a group/club a student had formed and wanted me to speak to, but I’ve since used it to keep up with former students and such. I don’t have a lot of people added, because I never send requests.

An important distinction to make!

Brad is more of a boob-man.

Those past two comments made this thread worth reading again.

Congratulations.

The QT3 Facebook group is now up to 17 members. Woo.

It’s a big sausage-fest, though.

Do most of your students give you full access to profiles (pictures, walls, etc)?

What did you expect?

Apparently a bunch of my former students have a facebook for people who had me as a teacher. I’ve been asked to join, but thought it would be best to wait until most of them had graduated. I don’t need to be the only adult on a facebook page.

Troy